Unity Park (New 160 Acre West End Park)

btoy

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

I stand by my statement. Notice the county square project is still moving forward with no delays while this isn’t.

Apples and oranges, and completely different project types and financing. If you have any idea how important this project is for the City of Greenville (and how long they have worked to make this a reality), they're 100% committed. Calm down. 

14 minutes ago, GvilleSC said:

Apples and oranges, and completely different project types and financing. If you have any idea how important this project is for the City of Greenville (and how long they have worked to make this a reality), they're 100% committed. Calm down. 

Who said i’m not calm? Lol. :dontknow: All I said is that one project is delayed and one isn’t. 

Edited by gman430

• 1 month later...

And it’s back on:

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/2020/05/19/swamp-rabbit-trail-unity-park-greenville-sc-covid-19-coronavirus/5219981002/

On that note, Greenville City Council would be wise to advocate for additional local government funding in the next coronavirus bill. The economic implications of this virus are absolutely dire, and yet the news of the day doesn’t reflect that. I’m glad to hear construction is resuming on what is the most important project in Greenville, but on the opposing hand I can’t but to think of how revenue isn’t going to return to levels we’ve become accustomed to. 

Edited by GVLover

• 1 month later...

A few new renderings: 

https://www.greenvillesc.gov/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Item/7114?fileID=34115

Phase I of construction — including earthen works, reconfiguration and restoration of the Reedy River and parking areas — is expected to launch July 13 and finish next March.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

:lol: "The New Observation Tower: Bringing fantastic views of tree trunks and the tops of people's heads!"

I had some tree work done in my back yard...which is really a part of a larger forest. I don't know trees all that well. I knew I had a number of tall Sweetgums, but the tree guy pointed out to me a couple of Tulip Poplars on my property that are likely over 100' tall. I think there are even taller ones near the creek on the back edge of my property, but I can't tell because the canopy's pretty thick. Even in winter, the limbs of shorter trees make it hard to gauge.

Southern Living says Tulip Poplars are the tallest native U. S. hardwood (Redwoods? Sequoias? are they not hardwoods?) and can grow up to 150'. I suppose the ones on my property near the creek at least have that potential.

I think any respectable observation tower should be substantially taller than any tree in a Carolina backyard could possibly grow. Preferably taller than anything in Congaree NP, too.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 3:10 PM, apaladin said:

Are they still planning the observation stump they call a tower?

I am wondering the same thing.  Wasnt there also a stage on the end of the visitors center at one point? It now just looks like a patio.  I wonder how badly the virus is impacting everyone's budgets.   I really liked both these elements and would support any decision to keep the project moving along.   Those would be great to add at a later date if they are/were removed.

4 hours ago, gvegascple said:

I am wondering the same thing.  Wasnt there also a stage on the end of the visitors center at one point? It now just looks like a patio.  I wonder how badly the virus is impacting everyone's budgets.   I really liked both these elements and would support any decision to keep the project moving along.   Those would be great to add at a later date if they are/were removed.

The observation tower was in the last phase of construction I believe.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • The park's features include a 9-acre green space, playgrounds, a 3,600-square-foot Greenville Water Splashground; a visitors Center featuring a welcome center, gallery space and flexible assembly space; a custom-designed wooden pedestrian bridge spanning the Reedy River in the center of the park, and extension of the Swamp Rabbit Trail as well as a network of walking paths.
  • Harper Construction Company is officially on the site beginning construction.
  • ReWa and Duke Energy are doing utility work
  • First phase is underway with a focus on restoration of the river, which involves opening it up and cleaning up the water. That work is expected to carry-on through the end of the year.
  • The park is being built with $26 million of tourism-generated taxes. Another $5 million from storm water funds will pay to the Reedy River. And $2.3 million in utility line burial money will be used to put power lines underground. The rest of the money needed for the initial $40 million first phase of the park will come from private donations and grants, according to the city's Unity Park website.
  • A second phase of fundraising will launch toward the end of year to fund the planned observation tower in the park
  • The park is expected to open in the spring of 2022
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2020 at 3:50 PM, johnpro318 said:

The observation tower was in the last phase of construction I believe.

Now yes. Originally it was supposed to be one of the first parts of the park constructed to help people "buy in" to the park. 

I LOVE the concept but it will be a waste if not done correctly.  Some steps with a view of tree branches will totally waste money that could be used elsewhere  and no one would bother climbing it anyway. If it's going to be first class, and truly serve its purpose, it needs to be our Eiffel Tower. 

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

https://greenvillejournal.com/community/unity-park-construction-continues-as-southernside-prepares-for-transformation/

Affordable housing near Unity Park:

• 390 senior housing, affordable housing and workforce housing in planning stages
  • Eight parcels totaling almost 9 acres dedicated to affordable housing

Trees plan:

• 200+ trees preserved
  • Nearly 750 new trees planted
  • Trees per acre increased from 12 to 20
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...