EpiCentre Retail

DigitalSky

^ This would be interesting and good news in my opinion. I guess I am biased being a Dilworth resident. Creative Loafing and the local TV news channels have reported the Cantina building along with Caribou/Brueggers and East Blvd Bar and Grill and Alpine Ski as being owned by CHS.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Cantina 1511 is going to open an operation here. That's good news if true; downtown really needs a good Mexican restaurant.

What is your source? That is a great spot for a restaurant. I hope you are right, because I've been wanting something more mexican-like in Uptown than Jolina. Cantina is at least good quality. I still want a "normal" mexican restaurant though (like you'd find on South Blvd or Central Ave).

Can you please confirm that CHS now owns 1511 East Boulevard?

They wouldn't have to purchase the building for Cantina to move.

What is your source? That is a great spot for a restaurant. I hope you are right, because I've been wanting something more mexican-like in Uptown than Jolina. Cantina is at least good quality. I still want a "normal" mexican restaurant though (like you'd find on South Blvd or Central Ave).

I overheard it awhile ago.

But if you want some proof of the opening, look here:

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/index.php...amp;Itemid=1366

We're going to be doing the Cantina at the EpiCentre, and it's actually the corner of Trade and College. I think it's arguably the best location in the city. We will be catty-corner across the intersection with Bank of America and across the intersection from Ritz-Carlton and 200 yards away from Bobcat Arena, with a street-level patio...I'm a little scared 'cause it's big financially. It's the first restaurant I have gone in that we're building out from scratch, and it's going to be more expensive, but I just think it's an unbelievable location.

I'm so looking forward to this; it will be my daily lunch spot.

I overheard it awhile ago.

But if you want some proof of the opening, look here:

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/index.php...amp;Itemid=1366

I'm so looking forward to this; it will be my daily lunch spot.

I am excited to finally learn of the tenant for the trade and college space. I was hoping for something new to charlotte, but Cantina will be a good fit for the complex. It'll be nice to have a mexican food option in downtown.

So I decided to check out wxyz lounge last night in the Aloft hotel....it was very nice.....the music wasnt what i expected but nice nevertheless.....the good thing is that you can take the eleveator straight to the aloft hotel...which is on the 5th floor of the epicenter. What I do find annoying and extremely inconvenient is that if you park lower than the P2 level you must take the stairs up to P2 level to get on the elevator so you can go up after that. I really dont understand it. And I also dont understand why the elevators near Mez and CVS have yet to start operating.....I feel that they are a bit unorganized with several things.

So I finally got around to spend a night last weekend at the Epicenter to have dinner at Mez and go to a movie at the Epicenter Theaters. In my opinion everything was great. I made reservations for Mez and bought my tickets online with no problems. My reservation was at 8:00pm and the movie was at 10:30pm. Dinner was very good, service was great, and even the ticket taker was very friendly and showed us to our reserved seats which by the way are amazing. I couldn't be happier, that is until the lights went down and the movie started. There was a couple drunks in the back of the theater that must have thought they were in their living room. They talked loudly for about 45 minutes, shouted out remarks about the movie, laughed together at random times. The people that I could see in rows in front of us kept turning around looking toward the back looking for where they were seated, but it was hard to see where they were. Some one must have said something, because a usher did go up the stairs to the very back and argued with them but didn't kick them out. Anyway, this happens all the time when I go to a weekend showing at any movie theater, so I don't hold it against them. My real complaint came soon after idiots in the back quieted down. The Mez lounge transformed into a dance club minus the dancing at around 11:30. The music was so incredibly loud in there that the final hour of our movie was over powered by the constant thumping beat of the techno music coming from the lounge. It was very annoying. We walked out into the lounge area after the movie ended at around 12:30. Everyone in there was just standing around because couldn't hear yourself think let alone hold a conversation with each other. I don't quite get it, I thought the four other bars in Epicenter blasting their music also was enough. Mez should at least have the decency to wait until all movies have ended before turning from restaurant to club. I guess I am getting old fast or something. I thought it would be nice to have a drink and talk about the movie afterwards, instead I just could not wait to get out of there. It's to bad because it was a nice night out otherwise. I will go back, but next time I know to go to dinner earlier, catch the earlier movie time.

So I received an email from Strike City. It appears they will have their grand opening party next week. It said to be on the lookout for tickets to the grand opening party. So it looks like we'll have some bowling uptown for Super Bowl (Bore)weekend... Sorry, my enthusiasm for that game was lost when the Panthers lost.

Yeah, I heard from one of girls that work at Strike City that no certain dress code is required. I am sure "thug wear" is not allowed, but it is good to know that me and the wife can go bowling with our jeans on. The movie theater on the other hand has a dress code after 6 pm. My schedule doesn't allow me to get there before 6. I personally am not interested in getting dressed up to watch a movie. And why do they play kid's flicks after 7 pm yet no kids are allowed after 7?

This movie theater is disappointing me and I haven't even been yet. They are playing loud music that you can hear while watching the movie? That is ridiculous. I thought not having kids in there at night might help with the distractions, but maybe not. Drunk adults talking loudly are worse than kids.

I agree that it is stupid to play movies geared toward people younger than 21 when they don't allow them after 7pm. The movie selection at this place has been pretty bad since it opened, too. I was hoping/expecting for more artsy type movies and I don't see why they can't show that type on 1-2 screens and mainstream blockbusters on the other, and why don't they show kids' movies during the day and then switch to something for adults at night?

I wonder how their business has been.

I've been to the theater twice now and haven't had any problems such as those listed. Both experiences were great, and boy those seats are nice. I wish my couch at home was that comfortable, however, then I would never leave. Wild Wing Cafe is a great addition because before everything was basically something that you had to dress up for. I've been there twice as well now and seems to be a great addition that is very lively. I also noticed that there are a lot of people using take out there (which there is a seperate entrance) to bring food home (I've seen a lot of construction workers). If you want your VIP bowling tickets, there still may be time to order them on their website: http://www.strikecitycharlotte.com/ . I already received mine in the mail and hope to check it out grand opening weekend (although I haven't seen a specific date, it just says weekend- so don't know if that is Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?). Looks like there are a bunch of other places that will be opening in the next 2 months that am looking forward to- Thai, Pizzeria, and some shops- like a Sunglass Place. Also, there is a lot more signage up now, specifically a lot of neon signs along 5th that are somewhat helping to hide the big ugly blank wall. I do like all of the neon signs, but I'm disappointed we didn't get the huge bowling pin sign in the plaza area of EpiCentre. There is a smaller one along 5th though.

If you want your VIP bowling tickets, there still may be time to order them on their website: http://www.strikecitycharlotte.com/ . I already received mine in the mail and hope to check it out grand opening weekend (although I haven't seen a specific date, it just says weekend- so don't know if that is Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?). Looks like there are a bunch of other places that will be opening in the next 2 months that am looking forward to- Thai, Pizzeria, and some shops- like a Sunglass Place. Also, there is a lot more signage up now, specifically a lot of neon signs along 5th that are somewhat helping to hide the big ugly blank wall. I do like all of the neon signs, but I'm disappointed we didn't get the huge bowling pin sign in the plaza area of EpiCentre. There is a smaller one along 5th though.

I got my tickets in the mail yestarday, and mine say Friday January 30th, from 7pm-10pm. I know it will be 21+ after 9pm. I have not heard how much lineage(price per game) is but it is probably around $5 plus shoe rental. I know Five Guys is already hiring, and scheduled to open sometime in mid-Feb. CVS is suppose to open the 1st of the month and probably the Thai place not far behind. I still havent heard an opening date for the Revolution Clothing Store.

Has Libretto's Pizzeria not already opened? I noticed quite a crowd in there on Wednesday nite.
Good question. I was there this past Tuesday, and they were not open as of yet. There was a huge crowd in the place setting things up. If they are not open yet, my guess is that they will open this weekend along with Strike City. I hope this place has real NY style pizza/pie like they are advertising. I hope my expectations are not too high.

Yeah, I heard from one of girls that work at Strike City that no certain dress code is required. I am sure "thug wear" is not allowed, but it is good to know that me and the wife can go bowling with our jeans on. The movie theater on the other hand has a dress code after 6 pm. My schedule doesn't allow me to get there before 6. I personally am not interested in getting dressed up to watch a movie. And why do they play kid's flicks after 7 pm yet no kids are allowed after 7?

Dude, don't get too worked up over that dress code thing. You can be pretty casual and still get in. Just wear brown shoes and don't wear a t-shirt. This time of year all you need is a fleece jacket and you're fine.

Last night I and a few friends went to Libretto's. We all agreed that it was the best pizza in Charlotte. As much as I love Fuel, and as much as I want to support that local chain, I have to say - Libretto's is REALLY just like the best pizza that you could get in NYC. Thin crust - crisp bottom...and the toppings make it perfect. I must admit that I can't say that I felt like I had the best slice ever in my life, but then again, I've spent a lot of time in NYC, and eaten a lot of pizza there. Nevertheless...this is seriously the closest I have found outside of the city. It's awesome. They stay open until 4:00a.m.

Double thumbs up to Libretto's - in fact, I'm craving for it right now just after typing this. Mmmmm.....

^ You just made my day if thats all true!! Have you had Tony's pizza up at Mt Holly-Huntersville rd and Reames? Is it better then theirs? Thats the best I've had down here so far. Also great that their open till 4am, help shorten the lines at Fuel on the weekends.

^I love Tony's....and I'll say it: this place is better. In fact, this is the best slice of cheese pizza I've had in the city.

Also: Strike city is open for business. People are bowling right now. I took a look around and found that the lights are not traditional for traditional bowlers (at least they weren't today....) There are two areas with red fullsized pool tables. The bar is BIG. It was too early to drink today thought. There are some video games too. I am so stoked this place is open. I didn't catch the prices.

^I love Tony's....and I'll say it: this place is better. In fact, this is the best slice of cheese pizza I've had in the city.

Also: Strike city is open for business. People are bowling right now. I took a look around and found that the lights are not traditional for traditional bowlers (at least they weren't today....) There are two areas with red fullsized pool tables. The bar is BIG. It was too early to drink today thought. There are some video games too. I am so stoked this place is open. I didn't catch the prices.

I agree, the Tony's off Reames & Mt Holly-Huntersville is amazing....the best NY style pizza in CLT.....i wish there was Boston style though in CLT....the best Boston style pizza ive had in the Carolinas is Tony's Pizza in Columbia, SC (Knox Abbott Dr.)....they are not affiliated.....there seems to be Tony's Pizza all over the country....popular name i guess haha....anyways, cant wait to try out librettos!

Fo' sho'?? You just made my night. We'll be there sometime this week -- so excited about having bowling uptown. How many lanes?

I think maybe 12-15 bowling toward the LYNX wall. And from monitoring construction, I know there are at least 2 or maybe 4 in a private room at the front of the building.

I tried Libretto's yesterday too. Great pizza, I'd say its just as good as Tony's, but a little different. Everyone has different defenitions of pizza, but this to me is more like north NJ/NY pizza, smaller slices but with more cheese, where Tony's is true NY style with larger but thinner slices and a little less cheese (did that make any sense?). Anyway, can't wait to try the other Italian food on the menu, Chicken Parm. here I come!

Just want to comment some more on Epicentre. There was alot of debate back when this was being built, if this was a good development or not. Mostly because of the inward facing nature of the complex. I always wait to see the finished product before discrediting the entire thing, but now that its open I'd like to add a couple points. The materials suck and a good bit of the complex faces inward, I wish the two spaces fronting Trade street would open soon because that would help tremendously. College is the true face of the complex.

Retail is the one thing we all want! I think a big problem in the past is that nobody wants to take that leap. Nobody wants to be the guinea pig to see if true retail can be successful. Now we have two clothing stores (Belle Villa and Revolution), a sunglasses store, and a small gallery opening up. While this is not huge, its a start. (I refuse to even count anything in the overstreet) Its not a very urban complex, but if this is the kind of development we need to get the ball rolling then I'm all for it. With more and more people calling uptown home these days, maybe we are reaching that critical mass that will keep these places alive and growing, and hopefully growing outside of epicentre.

I was VERY impressed with my first experience at Strike City. Had a few drinks at the bar and the staff was very friendly (not to mention the bevy of honeys working there!). The bartender gave me a tour of the entire place. The main room has like 8 Lanes (priced around $35/hour). They have so many HD projectors and plasma TV's that it will make your head spin! A super-long "ticker" is also above the main screens (news, sports scores, etc). Also off the main room is about 6 decent arcade games along with 2 pool tables (red). An adjacent room (you see this through a window when you walk in) has I think 4 additional lanes, a couple more pool tables, and another bar......this is a private/booked room that they will probably open-up to general public if there is overflow on nights when it's not booked. If this wasn't already enough, they have a 3rd bar that is next to another private

room which has 2 more lanes. The lighting is very ambient and perhaps even a little psychedelic (see photos). There is also an area that they will clear tables and use as a dance floor like Thur-Sat. HIGHLY recommended you check this place out, even if you are not at all into bowling!

STRIKECITY_0125a.jpg

STRIKECITY_0125b.jpg

Archived