EpiCentre Retail

DigitalSky

I wonder if Revolution is getting close to opening? Anyone know? I hope they are still moving forward. It's supposed to be the new concept from the owners of the now closed Rock&Roll Emporium which sold music inspired clothes and stickers and lots of other great tchotchkes...... R&R was a fun store and having another version in Epicentre would be a great addition to the mix.

I know the guy who's doing the A/V for Revolution and, yes, it is moving forward. There was someone of a delay due to some flooding issue from another unit that set them back a bit on their timetable I believe. I am also greatly looking forward to this store opening, I think it will be a great addition to Epicentre.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know the guy who's doing the A/V for Revolution and, yes, it is moving forward. There was someone of a delay due to some flooding issue from another unit that set them back a bit on their timetable I believe. I am also greatly looking forward to this store opening, I think it will be a great addition to Epicentre.

I think it's an interesting addition due to the demographics it serves. Not exactly the first thing I would think of placing across from 2 major banks, but a perfect addition that takes away from that banking stereotype image that much of uptown gives off.

YaY :) Thanks for the update. Their promotional site @ revolutionshop.net looks great. Clothes, shoes, piercing, stickers, gifts, and free music downloads. It's going to be awesome to have a locally owned joint like this in Uptown. This type of spot along with a bookstore are my two biggest wants for our CBD. The vibe will be great and a much needed change of flavor for the district.

Looking at the Revolution Page, I now see how its fitting itself into the urban chic that EpiCentre (not epic-center, I'm tired of hearing people call it that.) I looked at the brands that they are selling, and noticed all the same old brands, but they definately added some new, expensive brands. For instance, the now are selling Rock and Republic, Rock and Revival, True Religion, Ben Sherman, Vivienne Westwood, Peoples Liberation, etc. Perhaps Rock & Roll Emporium had these brands in the past few years, however this hasn't been my scene in 3 or 4 years. I definately look forward to giving this store a shot though, maybe rethink they way I dress, next time i'm in town.

• 2 weeks later...

Revolution opened on the 4th :) Has anyone been yet? I really want to go but must stay away from things I want but don't need :stop: I will probably hold out for a few more days and then give in, but I would be stimulating the economy so I should go buy overpriced jeans :lol: The prior incarnation had pretty pricey clothes but usually if you hunted long enough you could find something more moderate. Hope this is still the case.

I went to the Revolution grand opening the night of the big snow and I was very impressed. First of all the store is very big and the owner told me it was 6500 sq ft. It's up on the second level facing Trade St. It's definitely worth checking out whenever you're over by the Epicentre. As far as the prices go they are up there but I think that goes with the territory.

Stopped in to Revolution yesterday to check it out. Wow is it expensive, not really what I was expecting. Its mostly designer clothes so you'll find a regular T-shirt for $65. I have no problem with that, its just not for me. Otherwise the place looks great, and its great to have clothing stores move into uptown. The womens store is open as well but didn't really have a reason to go in...

Also ate at Indo-China (I think thats the name). It was empty when we arrived, but had a couple more patrons before we left. Had no idea it was even open yet, but they said its still a soft opening as they are waiting on their liquor license.

Food was great though, I got the Vietnamese Curry Chicken which came with very hearty portions of chicken and potatoes served on a bed of noodles. Very tasty, and large portions make it a great meal for $14. I think the Entree's ran from about $12 - $24, worth a try!

I checked out Revolution this afternoon. A very nice store and it is quite expansive and expensive :lol: After some poking around I did find a cool shirt I picked up for $35. I was the only shopper in the store at the time and employees were so friendly and solicitous. And I wanted to show my support for them because I like the vibe and the place's style . And I am such a hopeless pushover :silly: Overall I won't be a regular customer because the prices were too much for me as well. They had some cool shirts from Diesel that were almost $200.I can go to Rat's Nest, Century, or Sleepy Poet and get the genuine article for between 15 and 30 bucks. I saw a cowboy shirt today that was $180. I have the exact same style that I picked up at the Poet for $15. One of the employees liked the shirt I had on and asked me where I bought it and I told her it was super cheap @ Century. And that they have other great deals and to go there. I did not see any music stickers though :cry: Bummer. R&R Emporium on Indy had a great wall with stickers from a wide array of bands. Oh well. That's what the internet is for I s'pose.

Goodness. The wholesale price on a gross of colored tee-shirts is about $2.75 each and you can have anything you want printed on them. What else are they giving you when you pay $65 for one? With sales tax you are just short of $70.

While I admit this is a big money maker, I've only seen this kind of markup work at places where tourists go who don't care how much they spend before they go home. You get once chance to rip people off. At tourist places it doesn't matter, in a town like Charlotte, I am not so sure.

Goodness. The wholesale price on a gross of colored tee-shirts is about $2.75 each and you can have anything you want printed on them. What else are they giving you when you pay $65 for one? With sales tax you are just short of $70.

While I admit this is a big money maker, I've only seen this kind of markup work at places where tourists go who don't care how much they spend before they go home. You get once chance to rip people off. At tourist places it doesn't matter, in a town like Charlotte, I am not so sure.

Let's not forget that Southpark Mall has an abundance of these places that have t-shirts that cost way more than they should. Obviously it is working there so I see no reason it wouldn't work at Revolution. Not saying I agree with the prices for a label, but it is something that many find attractive. One of my co-workers will pay full price for anything Diesel without flinching.

^ This is true. Everyone's budget is relative. Even in this economy. As far as the denim at Revolution goes, any "name" jean is over $200. This is the rule in most places. Some people have to wear labels, I like fashion too but more into rummaging at vintage stores and Marshalls. Each to their own.

( I know bashing Epicentre has become something of an overdone sport on here but,damn it is such a tacky shlockfest. Hits me everytime I go. The place offers fun activities but it just screams done on the cheap :sick: )

Let's not forget that Southpark Mall has an abundance of these places that have t-shirts that cost way more than they should. Obviously it is working there so I see no reason it wouldn't work at Revolution. Not saying I agree with the prices for a label, but it is something that many find attractive. One of my co-workers will pay full price for anything Diesel without flinching.

Yea, they've been raping people for t-shirt prices all over the place for a few years now. Sew in that label, add $50.00 and run the risk of someone else having the same shirt on when you go out. Funny thing, go to Target and pick from their t-shirt selection, I've found a bunch of fun ones there over the years and none of the label snobs will recognize it b/c they won't shop there and no one else is likely to have it on. I also like the t's they have at Niche and Black Sheep, they aren't outrageously priced ($20.00 - $30.00) compared to the others and they tend to only stock/carry a handful of each one.

That aside, my partner used to love to shop at Rock & Roll Emporium and will be a regular patron of Revolution. I actually believe they'll do well. Right downtown they have no competition really and much of what they sell will appeal to the patrons at the surrounding bars. I can't wait to check the place out - browse shopping for clothes in uptown Charlotte...what's the world coming to? :camera:

While I totally agree on the prices, one thing that is a little different than the 2.75 wholesale prices, many of the shirts in there were listed on the labels as hand-sewn and individually laundered. While I am not in that market at all, it is at least a little bit more of a value than a name on the label. Plus, designers are artists and deserve some compensation for their work too. Mass market tshirts at Target can spread the designer's compensation over large volumes, but for smaller volumes, it drives it up.

But I went there expecting to buy something and walked out with nothing because of sticker shock.

I am not sure what that means as all teeshirts, for what little sewing there is of it, are hand sewn on industrial sewing machines. There really isn't a good way to automate it. I would be more interested, maybe, if they said these are tee-shirts not made in sweat shops or by illegal labor, made in the USA using 100% American grown cotton and other materials, and where the individuals doing the sewing were paid a decent wage. Even then $60 would be way out of the line. This is probably $5 wholesale shirt.

You got me on the individual laundering. They do launder fabric after it's manufactured to remove the sizing. Maybe individual laundering means an individual did it. In any case, ANY, purchased clothes should be washed (I mean washed by you after you get it home) before being worn. You really don't want to be wearing the chemical junk, especially from the foreign mills, on your skin. And who knows who might have put it on while it was hanging in a store.

My guess is this store is going to have to change its business plan if it hopes to survive.

Can't forget to mention Revolution's " Hole Menu". I picked it up out of curiosity only. I think tats can be hot but it's not me for sure. They cover the whole spectrum of holes it seems like. Ouchy! They also have a nice selection of shoes,watches, and skater stuff. I doubt the denim will go on sale. Those brands go for retail in most non-outlet settings. I used to live in jeans but lately I am all about cords. They are so comfy, it's like wearing pjs all day. Ooops going :offtopic: this is not style.com :lol:

Their location is surrounded by a demographic that likes the party scene and the clothes that go with it. For people that shop at Nieman's or Nordstorm all the time this is probably a relative bargain. Still even people with plenty of disposable income are pulling back somewhat so I don't think they are going to do gangbusters out of the gate. We need retail in Uptown, I hope they succeed.

They do piercings, I don't know why I conflated that with tatoos, I think I am out of my element on both fronts :dontknow:

:rofl:

By 'hole' menu I thinking something completely different...as in body holes...and you said tats which also I mistakenly took for slang for hooters which I know aren't for you! Wow did I miss the boat on that one. Was much more interesting than piercings though. :whistling:

• 5 months later...

^Haven't heard anything about that - but I was talking with a manager at Brueggers Bagels who told me that the new Epicentre location is ready and waiting to open. But they have to wait for the city to clear up the legal matters preventing occupancy. He seemed a bit frustrated - in fact I think his phrasing was "that place is screwed."

It's a giant mess......there are so many things wrong with the EpiCentre that it would take hours to type it all out.

The super short version is, no new places will be opening until Ghazi starts paying contractors.

Also, technically, every business currently open is operating without with an expired temporary occupancy permit, but the county isn't planning to shut them down.

What about Enso? They are advertising an August 28 opening, and are participating in Uptown Restaurant Week in about a month.

Yup, Enso is opening next week... They will be serving sushi until 2am. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing for the Epicentre though, LOL...

Archived