EpiCentre Retail

DigitalSky

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mez is open!!!!

Is the Mez smilar to The Bridge Cinemas? http://www.thebridgecinema.com/home/home.asp

Ive been to The Bridge in Philadelphia and it has leather seats. On busy nights your ticket has an assigned seat which is good for parties of two or more. There is live music and a full bar. Its pretty swanky actually. This theater uptown is filling a huge void. Long overdue.

I think everyone is going to be blown away when you see the inside of Mez. In my opinion it is the most beautiful restaurant/bar in Charlotte. If you go, go all out...so far the clientele is extremely good looking and very well dressed. The place wreaks of money!!!

I think everyone is going to be blown away when you see the inside of Mez.

The theatre complex in general was very nice. I was worried it would come off as cheap and tacky but it definitely does not. Mez did indeed look beautiful. The patrons were all dressed appropriately for a night on the town. The bars and concessions worked reasonably well for them being brand new and packed. They checked ID's at the door, so nice to have an adult crowd there for a night out. The theatres were much bigger than I anticipated and the sound system rocked, literally, it was LOUD. The soundproofing was excellent, also something I worried about. I couldn't hear anything but the movie I was watching, not the music in the lobby, not the glassware in seats around me and not the other movies playing. The place was awesome.

My only observation that wasn't favorable, but could be depending on how you look at it, was that all seats except for three rows up front were reservation seats, aka $12. The general admission seats are $9 and have the three rows up front with more traditional movie seats.

I also stopped in ATT while I was there to inquire about U-Verse, coming soon to Uptown according to them.

Wild Wings looks to be in the middle of their upfit, this is another place I am really excited about.

The whole Epicentre looks better decorated for the season. They should have a rotating set of decorations for each season to cover up that EIFS.

I plan on checking this place out. But I go to the movies to relax and escape reality. If this place screams attitude and is only about getting dressed up and trying to be "beautiful" and be the biggest snob I will stick with The Manor and Park Terrace.

What I love about Park Terrace is that i can go there on a Friday or Saturday night and virtually have the whole theater to myself, it's quite peaceful and a great escape.

I plan on checking this place out. But I go to the movies to relax and escape reality. If this place screams attitude and is only about getting dressed up and trying to be "beautiful" and be the biggest snob I will stick with The Manor and Park Terrace.

They can't show first run movies until this weekend. Its fancy, and the typical Epicenter tools (people) are bound to make appearances, but its not snobby. I rolled in last weekend wearing a Coors light t-shirt and jeans, no attitude at all. Most of the patrons I observed at the 7:30 show last weekend were not the 20 yr crowd, but the 30's and 40's, just out to watch a movie.

The MEZ grand opening party was last night. The place is awesome - three bar areas, a big restaraunt area, and of course the theatres. One of the bars is on a 2nd story loft area which is open to the rest of the space. The 2 story ceilings make the place feel huge, there is much more entertainment area than I was expecting! The theatres were great, huge comfy seats with a spot for your bottle of wine!

The MEZ grand opening party was last night. The place is awesome - three bar areas, a big restaraunt area, and of course the theatres. One of the bars is on a 2nd story loft area which is open to the rest of the space. The 2 story ceilings make the place feel huge, there is much more entertainment area than I was expecting! The theatres were great, huge comfy seats with a spot for your bottle of wine!

I was looking for an excuse to see a movie there tonight, but my gosh, how many Christmas movies can be shown in a season!? All the good movies coming out tonight and not one I'm willing to pay to see there. Guess it's back down to the Manor.

It is a beautiful place. It'll be nice when they finish the walkway to the station too.

There are new photos of the Revolution clothing store posted at the following link:

http://www.thevelvetnights.com/photos/r121...lvet.php?menu=1

Its still under construction, but it doesnt look too far along. Hopefully it'll be open by 2010! ;)

There are also photos of The Mez's grand opening party tonight:

http://carolinanightlife.com/charlotte/pho...ew.php?ID=10183

Very impressed with the Epicentre Theatre. Went and watched Role Models today with some friends. We paid $6 for our tickets(Matinee)...and $3 for the Sour Patch Kids. When you buy your ticket they give you a 2 hour Parking Validation (which I didn't need). The seats were wider than normal and there is more legroom. The sound system was the best I have heard in a Charlotte theatre...but our film was visually a little scratchy.

I really liked that they serve their drinks in glasses (cuts down on landfill waste).

The Mez restarant wasn't open yet when we were there but they let us walk around and check it out...uber trendy.

I'm glad they have regular ticket prices because I'll be spending more money there in the future since this is my theatre of choice from now on.

Wow...I expected those prices to be higher than $6! I pay $6.50 for a matinee show and there is no extra leg room or extra wide seats. That price for Sour Patch Kids seems fairly average (my favorite munchie btw). Seems like I'll have to make a trip to Uptown one day and enjoy a nice show while knocking back a few cocktails!

:)

Checked out Mez and the movie theater tonight and it was sweeet. The interiors were very impressive. Didn't eat there or even watch a movie, just took in the lobby and Mez. Honestly, this is the kind of place I'd expect to see in NYC or London, not Charlotte. I also liked the fact that there was guy at the door checking IDs and dress code (as I was walking away I heard him mention that T-shirts were not allowed).

I also liked the fact that there was guy at the door checking IDs and dress code (as I was walking away I heard him mention that T-shirts were not allowed).

is that just after 7 when its 21+?

i don't know, am i the only one that is completely dismayed that even this and the bowling alley are going to be so clubby? that's one of the only things that irritates me after a year of living uptown, i just get irate about dress codes in general...living here and going places where they clearly thought i was borderline because of my shoes, etc. i'll still go, i like upscale as much as anyone when i prepare but really, its a movie theater first and a bar/club second right? who cares about a t-shirt? even HOM basically just enforces no shorts.

Interesting conversation last nite at PJs coffee and wine lounge with one of the owners. He noted that opening in the space across from them would be Anthropologie, an upscale women's retailer. There's already one at South Park. I'm no expert in this but I thought that store was somewhat exclusive. If true, wouldn't this be the highest end retailer at EpiCenter, if not uptown? (Incidentally, very nice hookah-smoking loud joyous crowd in PJs for 1AM).

is that just after 7 when its 21+?

i don't know, am i the only one that is completely dismayed that even this and the bowling alley are going to be so clubby? that's one of the only things that irritates me after a year of living uptown, i just get irate about dress codes in general...living here and going places where they clearly thought i was borderline because of my shoes, etc. i'll still go, i like upscale as much as anyone when i prepare but really, its a movie theater first and a bar/club second right? who cares about a t-shirt? even HOM basically just enforces no shorts.

Agreed.

I get that Epicentre and most of Uptown is all about money and image and having the right clothes and the right car to valet to get into the club. I just wish there was more balance for those not into this scene as much. There is not much there for me personally. Which is why I stick with Plaza Midwood and NODA. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Archived