EpiCentre Retail

DigitalSky

I went to Wild Wings Cafe tonight before the Bobcats game. It was fine. A place to get chicken. I am glad it's not upscale. I'm glad to be able to go in there in my Cats shirt and get dinner and not feel underdressed.

Agreed ("fine, not up-scale") For me, what stood out though was the fact that they have a dedicated, decent size stage with 3-4 performances scheduled per week (unlike the Arysley location)....not sure what kind of "talent" they will be able to attract, but the JBL speakers they have look like they could put out some decent quality sound!

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I finally got around to spend a night last weekend at the Epicenter to have dinner at Mez and go to a movie at the Epicenter Theaters. In my opinion everything was great. I made reservations for Mez and bought my tickets online with no problems. My reservation was at 8:00pm and the movie was at 10:30pm. Dinner was very good, service was great, and even the ticket taker was very friendly and showed us to our reserved seats which by the way are amazing. I couldn't be happier, that is until the lights went down and the movie started. There was a couple drunks in the back of the theater that must have thought they were in their living room. They talked loudly for about 45 minutes, shouted out remarks about the movie, laughed together at random times. The people that I could see in rows in front of us kept turning around looking toward the back looking for where they were seated, but it was hard to see where they were. Some one must have said something, because a usher did go up the stairs to the very back and argued with them but didn't kick them out. Anyway, this happens all the time when I go to a weekend showing at any movie theater, so I don't hold it against them. My real complaint came soon after idiots in the back quieted down. The Mez lounge transformed into a dance club minus the dancing at around 11:30. The music was so incredibly loud in there that the final hour of our movie was over powered by the constant thumping beat of the techno music coming from the lounge. It was very annoying. We walked out into the lounge area after the movie ended at around 12:30. Everyone in there was just standing around because couldn't hear yourself think let alone hold a conversation with each other. I don't quite get it, I thought the four other bars in Epicenter blasting their music also was enough. Mez should at least have the decency to wait until all movies have ended before turning from restaurant to club. I guess I am getting old fast or something. I thought it would be nice to have a drink and talk about the movie afterwards, instead I just could not wait to get out of there. It's to bad because it was a nice night out otherwise. I will go back, but next time I know to go to dinner earlier, catch the earlier movie time.

Yes, try going to an earlier movie (3-5pm), I had heard complaints about this and was trying to listen for this during the movie.....I could not hear anything except for the movie soundtrack itself. However, when the movie was over, you could definitely see a transformation to a club-like atmosphere.....just make sure you don't dress like a bum going into the theatre, because when you get out (8pm+), you will certainly feel under-dressed!

^ I believe its 16 lanes in the main section, 4 in the larger private room, and 2 in the smaller private room that parallels the main room. Place looks great, thanks for the photos.

Thanks Mo for the correction.....I probably should have counted the # of lanes in my first picture :P . Oh, but did I already mention that the female hostesses/servers are quite HOT!!! :w00t:

We bowled at Strike City for the first time tonight.

Number one: if you are an avid bowler, GO THIS WEEKEND to bowl. The difference between a NEW lane/pins and an older one is HUGE. You will bowl better than normal.

Number two: it may have been because it was Monday night, and it may be that Strike City are just figuring out their business model, but there are WAY too many employees with nothing to do at this place. We had an overly attentive server who would not leave us alone. The servers and employees looked bored and lost. I don't require as much service as they are giving. Leave me alone. I didn't even get to visit the bar to order a drink. My server wouldn't leave me alone. They seemed confused by the fact that we were there to bowl, and not eat dinner and drink. This mentality is my biggest complaint about this whole complex.

Number three: this is the only bowling alley that I can think of that appears to be non-smoking. That's awesome if it's the case.

Number four: Don't expect to a purist bowling experience. The lanes are not lit well, and mostly get light from the huge projection screens above them. I'm not complaining, but it's different than we have seen. I've been bowling in Vegas and LA too, and this is over the top.

Number five: all things considered, cost differential is negligible. You pay a little bit more for a better alley.

Number six: it's a fun place with a good feel. We'll be back often.

EDIT: oh and FWIW, by the time we left, every lane was full.

Number one: if you are an avid bowler, GO THIS WEEKEND to bowl. The difference between a NEW lane/pins and an older one is HUGE. You will bowl better than normal.

Number two: it may have been because it was Monday night, and it may be that Strike City are just figuring out their business model, but there are WAY too many employees with nothing to do at this place. We had an overly attentive server who would not leave us alone. The servers and employees looked bored and lost. I don't require as much service as they are giving. Leave me alone. I didn't even get to visit the bar to order a drink. My server wouldn't leave me alone. They seemed confused by the fact that we were there to bowl, and not eat dinner and drink. This mentality is my biggest complaint about this whole complex.

Number three: this is the only bowling alley that I can think of that appears to be non-smoking. That's awesome if it's the case.

Number four: Don't expect to a purist bowling experience. The lanes are not lit well, and mostly get light from the huge projection screens above them. I'm not complaining, but it's different than we have seen. I've been bowling in Vegas and LA too, and this is over the top.

Number five: all things considered, cost differential is negligible. You pay a little bit more for a better alley.

Its nonsmoking until 10pm. Its great to hear some feedback I'm pretty excited!

Carolina Night life has a great photo thread of pix http://www.carolinanightlife.com/charlotte...525&photo=3. For those who want to see the rest of the bar.

Escapists,

Thank you for posting your review of Strike City. As someone who interviewed there but for lack of having boobs and a vagina, I apprently didnt get hired. Anyways, the impression I got in the interview was that the interest in bowling uptown was greatly antcipated(which it has been). However, I feel Strike City has assumed, it would be every night packed out and thus the extra need for employees. Now I do expect them to be packed out on the weekends and maybe thursday night as well. If you look at Suite they are successful three out of the four days they are open. As an avid bowler for the past 18 years(since the age of 4), I am disapointed that we got an Upscale Type Bowling Alley instead of a real Bowler's Bowling Alley. I understand the space conern, not being able to run big leagues but I feel they should have been able to try to at least reach out to the league bowler. I feel this is going to work aganist them as the economy continues to slid in to a deeper depression. The high-end upscale places are usually first to close, so I think Mez along with Strike City is on borrowed time. Now, I'm not saying anytime soon but I have a feeling we are far from hitting the bottom, and I think 2010 & 2011 will be a MUCH different story.

Escapists,

Thank you for posting your review of Strike City. As someone who interviewed there but for lack of having boobs and a vagina, I apprently didnt get hired. Anyways, the impression I got in the interview was that the interest in bowling uptown was greatly antcipated(which it has been). However, I feel Strike City has assumed, it would be every night packed out and thus the extra need for employees. Now I do expect them to be packed out on the weekends and maybe thursday night as well. If you look at Suite they are successful three out of the four days they are open. As an avid bowler for the past 18 years(since the age of 4), I am disapointed that we got an Upscale Type Bowling Alley instead of a real Bowler's Bowling Alley. I understand the space conern, not being able to run big leagues but I feel they should have been able to try to at least reach out to the league bowler. I feel this is going to work aganist them as the economy continues to slid in to a deeper depression. The high-end upscale places are usually first to close, so I think Mez along with Strike City is on borrowed time. Now, I'm not saying anytime soon but I have a feeling we are far from hitting the bottom, and I think 2010 & 2011 will be a MUCH different story.

I disagree that they're on borrowed time. I think that because they have 0 competition downtown that they will survive for a good while. Also Mez is the restaurant, Epicentre Theatres is the movie theatre. On another note, for some reason movie theatres have proven to do well in hard economic times.

I disagree that they're on borrowed time. I think that because they have 0 competition downtown that they will survive for a good while. Also Mez is the restaurant, Epicentre Theatres is the movie theatre. On another note, for some reason movie theatres have proven to do well in hard economic times.

You are correct about moving theaters being proven to withstand economic hard times(due to people needing an escape from reality). However, Tickets prices aren't cheap like they were during the first depression. Second, this depression is going to be much different(the bad kind of different) then the first great depression. In the first depression, we had savings, we had a trade surplus and still made things in this country to export. Third, all this money that the (Evil) Federal Reserve is pumping in to the system will cause Hyper-Inflation. Not just regular inflation, Hyper-Inflation. I've been trying to convince everybody I know, to start buying Gold(and take delivery!) because as the dollar tanks, Gold will skyrocket. Some of the better Economists/International Forecasters are saying that we probably wont hit the bottom until 2011. I'll see if I can find the article, if you are interested.

^It's my hope that all these "Upscale" places that have opened during these boom years will simply contract - and not fold. If the economy completely tanks, maybe "Upscale" will turn into "Everyday," they will cut back on all the concierges, and extended table service, nine bartenders, etc. They'll simply cut back on staff and let the people exist.

^It's my hope that all these "Upscale" places that have opened during these boom years will simply contract - and not fold. If the economy completely tanks, maybe "Upscale" will turn into "Everyday," they will cut back on all the concierges, and extended table service, nine bartenders, etc. They'll simply cut back on staff and let the people exist.

The problem with them trying to turn "Upscale" into "Everyday" is there are several factors working aganist this: 1)The high rent that Strike City is paying for that space. 2) The daily rate of $5.95 would have to be severally cut to some where around $1.50-$2.00. They would have to get rid of that $4 shoe rental, and the pair of socks for $3 is just laughable. I believe the many businesses need to lower their prices as the economy continues its slide into a depression. As more people have less money to spend on entertainment and fun, the less "demand" for it, therefore you need to drop the price to a reasonable level to keep up/down with demand. And when there isn't enough demend to break even, it is time to shut off the lights, close the doors and lock up. I don't want to see it fail, I just hope the people in charge are able to adapt to the collpasing economy.

• 2 weeks later...

A Charlotte blogger, who apparently lives in downtown, has posted a review of the downtown bowling alley.

For some reason that link won't open for me...just goes to the page then doesn't load up.

Anyway -- personal review: we went out downtown Saturday night and tried out a bunch of these new places, Mez, Strike City, Suite. I thought Mez felt weird, like they just stuck little drinking and sitting areas around in the nooks and crannies of a movie theatre. I can't see this as a place I'd want to hang out if i weren't going to a movie.

Strike City was fun. It was packed (around 10 Saturday night). We didn't bowl, we just had a couple of drinks and played pool. We ended up seeing some friends who were bowling, two different parties of friends, so we stayed for an hour or two. I don't really care for clubs that much, so this was a lot of fun. Enjoyed the atmosphere, the diverse crowd, and the overall experience. For those worried about dress codes, they didn't seem to have one. Saw t-shirts and shorts everywhere.

We went back Sunday (pre-planned with neighbors) at 4:00. Different atmosphere, much less 'clubby', more just relaxed afternoon crowd including what looked like two different large parties of kids 12 and under -- one was obviously a birthday party. It was a lot of fun. The bowling itself was a bit expensive compared to other places I've bowled (I think, I haven't been bowling in years) at $25 for two of us, but the drinks were moderate -- we had one bucket of beer, 5 for $10. The place wasn't packed like the night before, but all the lanes and pool tables were full and there were about 1/3 of the seats at the bar full.

Epicentre overall on Saturday night was jammed. I'm sure the beautiful weather was a big factor, and i can't compare to other weekends because we just haven't been out much, but it was fun to be there, large and small lines to get in every place that was open and a lot of people wandering around the various walkways, open stairways, etc.

I'm surprised the blogger expected a fine dining experience... You went to a bowling alley for dinner, come on dude.

I still can't get that blog to open, oh well. At any rate we didn't eat there so i can't speak for how the food tastes, but the menu just looked like normal cheap bar food. What I'd expect at a bowling alley or sports bar.

Finally got it -- just had to go to the website w/out going via the link. To everyone that is worried about everything in uptown being 'upscale' her review should alleve part of that! I knew they were trying to be something other than a normal bowling alley, but didn't know they were shooting for upscale. If they are/were, thankfully they missed the mark. It, to me, is a really fun place to go with friends and bowl. Fun atmosphere, like a big kids Chucky Cheese, and I hope it stays that way. I didn't take the place too seriously so I guess I had nothing to be dissappointed about.

I would agree and disagree with the blogger. The beginning of his review was actually quite humorous because it is sort of true. The line begins outside to get in, you have to get your shoes right at the front, and the one shoe thing is quite hilarious. I felt like a clown walking around with mismatched shoes, let alone the slant I walked with due to the difference in the lengths of my legs (not a good image for a single guy). WHY NOT JUST TAKE BOTH SHOES and give a number to claim!? I say that somewhat jokingly, although I did have similar thoughts in my mind as the blogger at the time. I thought the food was quite excellent there, unlike the review. The pizza was very good (not going to say the best, but it was certainly enjoyed) as well as the garlic knots. A little pricey I suppose, and hopefully next time I go (which I will be back), they will have specials on drinks. 4-5 dollars for a Miller Light is a bit abscue (opening weekend price, I know!). Anyway cheaper beer will be appreciated in the future. The actual bowling was a blast. I haven't been bowling in years and it brought back some memories. The little graphics and animations that pop up on the screens made for some laughs and the experience on the lanes was a lot more fun then conventional bowling, IMO. I also like how you have a server that attends to your lane, although I guess you are paying for it. I'm not really trying to add a complete review as others have, so I'll just say that bowling was a lot of fun, you can go and get a good meal that ISN'T typical crap bowling food, and I didn't feel as if it were too high end at all, although it doesn't hurt to look decent at night times (As with the rest of EpiCentre).

I would agree and disagree with the blogger. The beginning of his review was actually quite humorous because it is sort of true. The line begins outside to get in, you have to get your shoes right at the front, and the one shoe thing is quite hilarious. I felt like a clown walking around with mismatched shoes, let alone the slant I walked with due to the difference in the lengths of my legs (not a good image for a single guy). WHY NOT JUST TAKE BOTH SHOES and give a number to claim!? I say that somewhat jokingly, although I did have similar thoughts in my mind as the blogger at the time.

I guess I may be one of the few that doesn't find the one shoe thing comical. Being from "Yankeeville", up north they would always make you leave one shoe as collateral. I thought this was standard everywhere!

I guess I may be one of the few that doesn't find the one shoe thing comical. Being from "Yankeeville", up north they would always make you leave one shoe as collateral. I thought this was standard everywhere!

I'm from the north too, so it's not that. I admit it's been probably 5 years since I've been bowling before, but I don't ever remember leaving one shoe. Maybe I did though and just didn't think anything of it then.

I'm from the north too, so it's not that. I admit it's been probably 5 years since I've been bowling before, but I don't ever remember leaving one shoe. Maybe I did though and just didn't think anything of it then.

I don't think I dreamed it. Then again, the only place I bowled was Long Island. More specifically the north shore of Suffolk County in two bowling alleys. Maybe they were the only ones that did it. Gosh I should stop generalizing so much - the attention to detail on this board is magnificent.

So I have come to a conclusion about Epicentre. Besides the lack of a condo tower as the crowning jewel, this complex is lacking one important element. It needs benches along the upper walkways facing the railing. Tonight was a great night to walk around uptown. Despite the fact that Epicentre is still less than half-full in terms of tenants, there were a lot of people walking up and down its alleys, walkways, and plaza. It would have been great to have been able to sit on a bench and look out over the center plaza while eating icecream from Coldstone or drinking coffee from the nearby Starbucks. My friend and I were leaning against the railing on the second level just watching people walk around and it gave me a different sense for uptown than I've ever had before. All the lights, people, and skyline made for a great atmosphere.

I went to the movie theatre at Epicentre last night and lo and behold, totally forgot there was a dress code! I was wearing a blue long sleeved collarless shirt and beat up old sneakers. The "bouncer" at the door was nice enough to let me through though, asking me to be wary for next time that there is a dress code. So perhaps they are easing up on the dress code thing for now while they build up a client base. Nothing worse than bad pub from people turned away at the door.

Archived