Wachovia South Tryon Projects

Southend

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Actually I might have been off by one.  The US Bancorp tower in LA might not have been primarily occupied by a single financial institution when it was originally built.....it is just over 1,000'.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Indeed, I was going to mention this when I read your original statement. When built it was known as the Library Tower and was built on a speculation basis in by an urban development group that was also looking to save the city Library.

It would quiet a lot of posters knocking Charlotte in the Southern Forum. I think many think CLT has been topped out, so to speak, in terms of height w/ the current BofA HQ. I simply do not believe this to be true. In the years to come Charlotte will attract more firms and that

Rezoning Petition 2004-129

Approximately 1.29 acres located on the northeast side of W. 1st Street, between S. Church Street and S. Tryon Street

Public Hearing Date:

Decision:

Date:

The Petitioner has requested that this Petition be Indefinitely Deferred.

Someonw please explain what the heck is meant by indefinately deferred??? :o I think this was just updated. I thought we were getting an answer by months end when council met again. Am I wrong on this????

A2

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/Planni...ns/2004-129.htm

I am on the phone as I type Charlotte Wladron who is in the planning dept for the City. I am finding out that this indefinate defferal is NO BIG DEAL...What a relief! :) I had NO idea what that meant. I also found out that the project is simply seeking to NOT be rezoned. This is in part because WB wants their devloment to not have any contengencies of retail/residential/and office square footage that the city is requesting be incorporated into the project. We posters already knew this. (at least I think most of us did). Wachovia wants to build it the way they want to build it. I am really pumped about this, since if the petitioner is able to get the zoning issue dropped, WB can start consruction pretty much immediately.

YEAH !!!!!

A2

Because the tower goes on a different block that was originally anticipated, so the rezoning petition does not apply. Also, with the new sight plan they probably will able to include enough retail so as not to need a MUDD-O variance and can probably build by-right with the MUDD in place.......I'm sure the only reason it hasn't been withdrawn completely is the fact that they are just making sure they are conforming to city ordinance, otherwise they will have to ammend the petition.

I agree with you atlrvr. I also think that the city wanted to have more open space, and Wachovia is contending that the Green across the street should satisfy the open space requirement for the proposed project. Kind of like counting the two seperate projects as one. ;)

A2

I think the most pressing timeline is to get WFU moved in by Fall 08 classes......

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yep... you are absolutely right atrlvr. How fast can they build the tower, will be the question we need to ask ourselves now. The empite state bldg in NYC was completed in 13 months ! So we know that it can be done, even if they broke ground in late 06'. Any thoughts???

A2

They will want to break ground before the end of the year at least on the Wachovia and WFU portion of the project......the Condos, Museums/Theatre likely wouldn't start until the arts funding gets fully approved.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree atlrvr. I think that is where the proposal gets sticky. I am very much like most here. I want to see pictures, or some computer generated rendering of what the heck we can expect. WB has never been so tight lipped on a project. I don't get it. I have called everyone in the bank, including the corporate real estate arm that works with Childress Kline. Even as an employee I can't get even a hint. Even WB's proposal of the 80+ story tower they were planning was revealed to the public long before they were planning to put the first shovel in the ground. Something is very strange about the secrecy behind the design of this tower. That is really what leads me to believe it will be something quite Grand. Just my two cents.

A2

^^^ interesting.....so in your opinion they sounded "excited" when they couldn't tell you anything about the project, or were they just like "i am not really sure, so i am not going to mislead you"? damn i would be happy if another big tower was built in clt (above 50 corporate stories)!

^^^ interesting.....so in your opinion they sounded "excited" when they couldn't tell you anything about the project, or were they just like "i am not really sure, so i am not going to mislead you"?  damn i would be happy if another big tower was built in clt (above 50 corporate stories)!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would not say they were excited redjeep77. You have to remember they are not exactly doing back flips like me every time I hear an announcement of another tower. We are Urban Junkies, they are just doing their job. :D

A2

(I still believe that WB is planning something nice, since nothing has been released to the public yet)

I agree atlrvr. I think that is where the proposal gets sticky. I am very much like most here. I want to see pictures, or some computer generated rendering of what the heck we can expect. WB has never been so tight lipped on a project. I don't get it. I have called everyone in the bank, including the corporate real estate arm

i agree.... i think the secrecy makes me think there is a possibility for a new clt tallest.... but only a slight possibility.

meanwhile, i'll be happy with this project at any height above say 30 stories, preferrably at least a little taller than the other towers in the area (westin, 400 s tr, and 3 wach)

Also, once the Main building has been totally renovated, the tower will also be repainted on the outside.  So we won't have to look at the ugly beige color.  my guess is the color will match the exterior color of the main, either light grey or light blue or something color scheme like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am curious how this is accomplished?? Won't the paint chip off?? Do you know of examples where this has been done before?

Archived