Wachovia South Tryon Projects

Southend

why such a tiny footprint for the new tower? i hope we don't get another box on the skyline

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is just a rendering, don't worry it will be a nice tower (as long as we get the all clear from the city. IMO the city is a go)

A2

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, i believe that siteplan was just conceptual for when they announced what components will be part of the project. it will probably change dramatically as the architects refine the details. I doubt the octagon will be a part of it either...

step one to getting Wake Forest to completely relocate to charlotte :).  Charlotte is to the 2000s as Winston-Salem was to the 1960s, when they moved from wake forest to there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good one... seriously though, I wonder what kind of incentives it would take to get WF to move additional graduate programs to Charlotte... Wake Law & downtown Charlotte sound like a healthy combination.

I was checking out this rendering of the old 80 story tower proposal, but the alternative tower (the one I liked more) has an uncanny resemblance to the site layout in the new Wachovia plan, and was also designed by the same people that are designing the new building (note the condo tower in the background and the glass atrium building that could be the Mint Museum). I thought this was very interesting, and maybe we could see a scaled down version of this tower. I think it is very good looking.

28charlotte-thompsonventulettstainb.jpg

although i see your point, i'd be surprised if they didn't make a brand new design for this tower.

i liked that design for 4 first union better than the spaceship, too. in some ways, though, i think it was too reminiscent of the BofA tower in atl. maybe with this new project, and with arts projects tied to it, they can develop something more unique.

^Now that is one impressive rendering! Any chance we'll ever see that one built?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

only if it is baked into this smaller project....

chances are that if something changed for wachovia and they were ready to build a big tall landmark tower, they'd probably opt for a whole new design. Not only might wachovia want the latest and greatest in style and building tech, but something so tall will definitely demand all the extra post-911 engineering.

Frankly I'd love to see them dust off that design and use it for the new tower.

Think of this about 5 stories taller:

3034rsa_towerwb.jpg

..but like most I'm thinking we'll see an entirely new design. I'm sure the Wake Forest MBA and the theatre are at least driving some of the design.

I just hope it's a signature building for Wachovia, and not another box. I actually really like 3Wachovia, but it's the only other Wachovia building besides 1Wachovia that has a "presence" about it.

somehow i think this project has more potential than any other tower in charlotte to be more interesting or different in design. That is simply because it is so closely tied to the fine arts, and the architects might feel more license to be artistic than is typical when designing a bank tower.

that said, i hope whatever is built has a base+middle+top design instead of being monolithic. battlehouse is no where near as bland as bofa plaza or wachovia tower or 2fu.

I don't know, I find those two designs remarkably bland.  I wish there were the guts here to put up something more intersting then the stock bank skyscrapers that we keep getting stuck with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Keep getting stuck with?" On behalf of the banks, let me apologize for the 30,000+ B of A and Wachovia employees in Mecklenburg and the remarkably bland building designs, monsoon. I know you don't need to be reminded that so much regarding Charlotte, the least of which is this thread, is here because of the banks, their employees, and the stock skyscrapers they put them in. The buildings are not all award winners for sure, but whining about them is not becoming of a Center City supporter.

Ease up 50, it's just an opinion.

I don't think you'll find any bank haters on this site...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't be a hatin' 50. :P We all Love the skyline we know as CLT. MB was just stating his honest opinion of some of the towers that do seem to be rather bland. I tend to agree with him too. But, for most who post they would not change a thing, as CLT has become one of the most recognizable skylines in the US for a city it's size. BTW, welcome to UP ! Great to have you on board. :thumbsup:

i hope whatever is built has a base+middle+top design instead of being monolithic.  battlehouse is no where near as bland as bofa plaza or wachovia tower or 2fu.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bank of America Plaza is a revolutionary design. I mean who would have ever thought of having six sides on a building...I mean most buildings come in four sides, but that's it. :P

Bank of America Plaza is a revolutionary design.  I mean who would have ever thought of having six sides on a building...I mean most buildings come in four sides, but that's it.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The big windows and shallow corners make for a great view from the inside, though.

"Keep getting stuck with?" On behalf of the banks, let me apologize for the 30,000+ B of A and Wachovia employees in Mecklenburg and the remarkably bland building designs, monsoon. I know you don't need to be reminded that so much regarding Charlotte, the least of which is this thread, is here because of the banks, their employees, and the stock skyscrapers they put them in. The buildings are not all award winners for sure, but whining about them is not becoming of a Center City supporter.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I only presume to speak for myself and I stand by my words. The bank skyscrapers are pretty bland in Charlotte. The recent condo towers announced here are all more interesting looking.

Bank of America Plaza is a revolutionary design.  I mean who would have ever thought of having six sides on a building...I mean most buildings come in four sides, but that's it.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

does that make it 50% better :)?

i like the bofaplaza much more than the old wachovia tower and 2fu...

Well I only presume to speak for myself and I stand by my words.  The bank skyscrapers are pretty bland in Charlotte.  The recent condo towers announced here are all more interesting looking.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear ya, MB. Not trying to be hatin' A2. Sorry for coming across condescending. I agree that the condo towers are more interesting than most of the bank buildings. I am very excited about them all.

I just wanted to be sure we give the banks their due for their past and future investment in the city. We are more than stuck with those investments. We are fortunate.

Not all shareholders, customers, and employees agree that a $300 million investment towards what will amount to 4 new buildings, including 2 art museums, in the center city is a good idea. That sounds gutsy to me.

Thanks for hearing me out.

speaking of the banks' investments... the chief of police used an employment number of "90,000" this past monday when talking about the policing needs for downtown.... a few years ago, i kept seeing 60k or 65k tossed around as the number for downtown employment.

if that 90k number is true for current employment, it seems like this wachovia project could get us closer to a six figure number.

Just like with residential population, employment or daytime population has a major multiplier that spurs other projects downtown, especially retail.

speaking of the banks' investments... the chief of police used an employment number of "90,000" this past monday when talking about the policing needs for downtown.... a few years ago, i kept seeing 60k or 65k tossed around as the number for downtown employment.

if that 90k number is true for current employment, it seems like this wachovia project could get us closer to a six figure number. 

Just like with residential population, employment or daytime population has a major multiplier that spurs other projects downtown, especially retail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not that it'll get us to 6 figures, ;) but along those same lines, I wonder how many jobs will be created by the new Bechtler Museum of Art. Man, what a gig to work in the new Bechtler.

Did I hear that the administration of the 2 museums would be handled by the Mint?

Please note: This is not an attempt to land a job.

speaking of the banks' investments... the chief of police used an employment number of "90,000" this past monday when talking about the policing needs for downtown....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Police love to pump up the numbers when asking for the taxpayers to pay for new officers.

Archived