Wachovia South Tryon Projects

Southend

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although I was surprised too, when BofA was willing to sell to NCNB. So I suppose anything is possible with enough $$$ on the table. It's just that Wachovia has shown some restraint in it's acquisitions. They aren't willing to pay any price to grow.

If Wells *did* sell, I wonder what would come of their Fort Mill campus...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BankAmerica really wasn't willing to sellout to NCNB. But the CEO of BA, this person named Coulter, had made a number of bad decisions which had driven the bank into the ground. When McColl showed up, Coulter received an offer he could not refuse, so to speak, so they did this "merger of equals" thing which tuned out to be anything but equal. The rest is history. BankAmerica disappeared and NationsBank adopted one of the older trademarks of BA, which was Bank of America.

Wells is not in similar bad shape, so a takeover of that bank might be much more of a battle.

I had a gut feeling that was why WB was being so secretive. Now we are looking at a building in the 53-66 story range. This would absolutely have a chance to top the BofA Center (even without a possible spire). This is great. Maybe Ken L (down the street) would get pissed off and try to trump Ken T by building one taller than the WB.

I am loving this.

A2

I had a gut feeling that was why WB was being so secretive. Now we are looking at a building in the 53-66 story range. This would absolutely have a chance to top the BofA Center (even without a possible spire). This is great. Maybe Ken L (down the street) would get pissed off and try to trump Ken T by building one taller than the WB.

I am loving this.

A2

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

correction, now we are imagining a building in the 53-66 story range. :)

i just hope we are looking at a 53-66 story building before we're old and grey.

sorry to throw salt at this, but it is all still just speculation and rumors.

hmm, I kinda like the BoA tower as the tallest...  I can't imagine another tower being better looking anyway.  I think BoA Corp. Ctr. is one of the nicest designs in the southeast, maybe the country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree CJJ. I love it as our signature tower. I think the placement in the skyline is awesome. We might be a bit lop-sided if WB were to put up a taller tower.

Trust me I for one would not protest building taller than BofA, but I do see what you are saying.

A2

B)

^ Ah yes, the old First Interstate Tower. It was the first skyscraper to explode (in Los Angeles) when the aliens attacked in Independence Day.

1988_library.jpg

I would like something along those lines, too. I am a big fan of the US Bank tower in Minneapolis. It's a little more mod.

225%20south%20sixth%20main_lg.jpg

Interestingly, they're both I.M. Pei designs.

I hate US Bank building, its not that great. I love IM Pei and I think this is his weakest building design, and i was very happy when First Interstate building was destroyed in independence day, but hey we are all entitled to our own opinons. For reference on my tastes of architecture, as a former architecture major (now advertising, big difference, in fact I am in class, Case Studies in Advertising) my favourite buildings are the petronas towers, the bank of america corporate center, Key Center, International Finance Center, I dunno if anyone is seeing a pattern, Cesar Pelli Cesar Pelli Cesar Pelli, I love him. By far my favourite architect.

actually I'm going to have to take that back, Casar Pelli isn't my favouirte architect actually it is Frank Llyod Wright, but yea, Cear Pelli is up there, and john portman, he's made some of my favourite buildings, Marriot Marquis Altanta, Westin Charlotte, Westin Warsaw, Shanghai Centre (which I at at tony romas there, weird experience eating tony romas in shanghai china.)

i love the usbank building in minneapolis! given that so many different uses are being clustered into the wachovia complex, it might be a good style to use here.

i like the LA usbank tower. It is the star of Alias, but didn't win an emmy. It must have gotten knocked up by the john hancock building from boston, and lost reputation points. ...but back to the point, it is too similar to the bofa corporate for me to enjoy seeing that style applied to the wach tower

Bob Dylan should dedicate the building, anywyas, the LA building isn't bad its just so jagged if that makes any since, I always thought it looked like a less refined version of Bank of America Corporate. there are several buildings I do not want to go to the wachovia site, Westin Atlanta, I don't want any cylinders, Wachovia 5 design, I loved it for the longest time, then I quickly got over it, no bofa San Fran, wachovia needs less boxes, and more interesting bulidings, I could see a building like the key tower in cleveland, or One Atlantic Center in Atlanta, or even 191 Peachtree in atlanta, those are some nice buildings that would look pretty good design wise if this buliding was to be taller than Bank of America. We need something traditionalish, not ultra modern, ultra modern at that height in charlotte, would stand out like a sore thumb,

I didn't mean a literal copy of USBank tower, just something round that stepped back. Something to break up the monotony of boxes at that end. I really loathe Petronas, FWIW.. so overdone and gaudy, but again, that's just me talkin'. Sort of back to the point.. I really hope if it ends up being a new HQ that they scrap that giant lawn jart that they were gonna build 6 years ago. I did like the blade-style capper idea, but the rest was hideous.

... in charlotte, would stand out like a sore thumb,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i always thought the Hearst Tower was Charlotte skyline's thumb, with bofa corporate being the pointer finger, and 1 wachovia being the pinky, and the middle and ring fingers not yet fully extended (ie. the hand is doing a hook'em horns).

as far as i remember, pelli isn't doing this tower anyway, so we won't end up with something like that.  What is the style typical of the architect on record for this project?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe this is wrong, but isn't the architect for this building the same one that did 3 Wach back in '99?

I like the Hand idea, thats awesome. So wachovia is going to be the ring finger, maybe we can expect a taller tower in a few years from Bofa completing it, with the middle finger.

who is the architect for Wachovia? I had not realized that there was one, I mean I realized there was one, but didn't know it had been announced to the public.

As excited as I am about the possiblity of a taller building for charlotte, I hate the idea of the skyline having two focal points. I am in advetising and I understand the fact that you need preferibly one focal point to draw in a observer visually. Thats the thing I always loved about the Charlotte Skyline, BoA corporate has been the focal point since 1992. The two focal points on complete opposite sides of the skyline, is much like chicago, with the hancock building and the sears-roebuck, which evens itself out by being a much broader skyline. At least it won't be as bad a Wachovia 5 that through things off so much and was way to ambition for charlotte in the late nineties.

The only thing that can save this is the 58 story unnofficial announcement from the vue people so there could be 3 focal points, which would be better than two, but still, I doubt the 58 story thing is going to happen with the vue, and EpiCenter is just going to throw more emphasis to the bank of america side.

Its interesting how the bigger bank pulls so much weight on the skyline with Hearst, IJL, BoA corporate, and BoA Plaza, even tho First Union has just as many buildings it just doesn't seem to have as much weight

Look at me rambling again....... Sorry I have lots of things running through my mind, Advertising from the 1800s and big buildings go figure...

Archived