Optimist Park / Belmont Projects

dubone

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Maybe it's been answered somewhere but I can't seem to figure it out: these stalls are all just different "concepts" owned by the same entity, right? Like this is essentially a large restaurant controlled by one company where each food type has a different customer-facing stall?

All owned by the same group that owns Seoul Food Meat Company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Maybe it's been answered somewhere but I can't seem to figure it out: these stalls are all just different "concepts" owned by the same entity, right? Like this is essentially a large restaurant controlled by one company where each food type has a different customer-facing stall?

No I don’t believe so.  The building has an owner and I think the food companies rent out the stalls, similar to Optimist Hall.  Any food supplier can rent out there as long as it jives with what the Foodhall Owner wants to curate there.

1 hour ago, PMrez said:

All owned by the same group that owns Seoul Food Meat Company.

14 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

No I don’t believe so.  The building has an owner and I think the food companies rent out the stalls, similar to Optimist Hall.  Any food supplier can rent out there as long as it jives with what the Foodhall Owner wants to curate there.

The descriptions and logos really give a "we're fake restaurants all owned by the same company" vibe, that's what made me assume that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Nope, its all out of one kitchen controlled by Seoul Food. You can look at a few of the "kitchens" behind the food stalls and see that it all connects to the same commissary. It is nothing like Optimist Hall. I toured it a few times while it was under construction. There are some flat tops, conveyor ovens and pieces of cooking equipment facing outward but for the most part its connected.

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

The descriptions and logos really give a "we're fake restaurants all owned by the same company" vibe, that's what made me assume that.

You assumed correctly.

Edited by CLT Development
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Nope, its all out of one kitchen controlled by Seoul Food. You can look at a few of the "kitchens" behind the food stalls and see that it all connects to the same commissary. It is nothing like Optimist Hall. I toured it a few times while it was under construction. There are some flat tops, conveyor ovens and pieces of cooking equipment facing outward but for the most part its connected.

You assumed correctly.

The food is not very good at Seoul or at any of the UDM spots (tried a couple), but if you have kids it is basically paradise for them so a good place to grab a beer and let the kids go nuts.  It looked like the second half of UDM will eventually open a coffee shop that isnt open yet.  That will hopefully be a good addition.  

For all the urbanists on here, it is a pretty perfect location to bike to.

7 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

The food is not very good at Seoul or at any of the UDM spots (tried a couple), but if you have kids it is basically paradise for them so a good place to grab a beer and let the kids go nuts.  It looked like the second half of UDM will eventually open a coffee shop that isnt open yet.  That will hopefully be a good addition.  

What do they have for kids? We take ours to Optimist Hall sometimes but there's nothing there specifically for them. Does UDM have a playground or anything like that?

1 minute ago, Madison Parkitect said:

What do they have for kids? We take ours to Optimist Hall sometimes but there's nothing there specifically for them. Does UDM have a playground or anything like that?

Yes a playground.  I have a photo of it somewhere I think from that walking tour we did of NoDa. 

• Like 3

It has an outdoor playground plus splash pad.  Plus inside the UDM there is a corner that is an in-door play area with play kitchen, toys, etc.

25 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

59 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

In my head I saw kids running around so it is a splash pad not a playground.  

57 minutes ago, NYtoCLT said:

It has an outdoor playground plus splash pad.  Plus inside the UDM there is a corner that is an in-door play area with play kitchen, toys, etc.

Perfect, going to add it to the list of places. Even if the food is passable, a place for the kids adds a few points.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

It's a great addition, and CLT needs WAY more kid-friendly places that aren't public parks or libraries...

... BUT... it is an awful experience if you have any of the following:

• Sensory-sensitivity issues (loud Korean hip-hop playing very loud at all times)
  • Social anxiety (peak times are extremely busy, packed, and loud)
  • Social-class anxiety (demographic is so far always an extremely affluent and/or stereotypically middle-class nuclear family brewery scene crowd)
  • Don't drink alcohol or like greasy/heavy food (though this is common everywhere that isn't a library or public park)

I've enjoyed going on their off hours w my little one. But on weekends it has not been our cup of tea for many of those reasons. All more reason why things like this should be ubiquitous so it's more diffuse and something exists for all family styles.

That said, it's the easiest place to get to on bike and kid-trailer, so as always it is a give-and-take 😅

Edited by SgtCampsalot
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2023 at 1:59 PM, NYtoCLT said:

Yea agreed, the food is really bad, so are the drinks. Everything else is impeccable, and I've been talking about their attention to families for months, they were really really smart to do that. I'm excited for the market, the soju brewery, the ice cream spot under the bridge and to see the entire area explode. Once I hear about one of the stalls actually being good (I have about 8 reviews from friends ranging from passable to atrocious), I'll come try one.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Yea agreed, the food is really bad, so are the drinks. Everything else is impeccable, and I've been talking about their attention to families for months, they were really really smart to do that. I'm excited for the market, the soju brewery, the ice cream spot under the bridge and to see the entire area explode. Once I hear about one of the stalls actually being good (I have about 8 reviews from friends ranging from passable to atrocious), I'll come try one.

A full steak place seems like a weird thing for a food hall, but honestly the steak looked decent (the burger and chicken sandwich...weren't).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NYtoCLT said:

A full steak place seems like a weird thing for a food hall, but honestly the steak looked decent (the burger and chicken sandwich...weren't).

Steak is so easy to cook and can be done at scale in a food hall pretty easily. You can sous vide it in a fairly large amount and just have it cooked to 128 degrees, and then throw it on a flat top to sear, and cooked to desired doneness. Eating a ribeye in a food hall setting... prob not my favorite idea.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Nope, I have NO idea what is up with that parcel, this is inside the neighborhood more. This is the parcel
 image.thumb.png.fd6dfccadc030c9d4d9db09697906999.png

Hoping for a Caldwell extension