Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

55 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

I especially like the marble framing near the underground tunnel and the entrance corridors. I don't know how it will look in 30 years, but it's definitely a classy, modern touch. 

Not to be a glass-is-half-empty, but if it stayed that long (doubtful) it would look exactly the same.  It’s a porcelain tile made to look like Calcutta marble.  Figure about $3.88/sf at the airport’s bulk/contractor pricing.  It’s been the new 70s wood-look paneling equivalent for the past decade.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

Not to be a glass-is-half-empty, but if it stayed that long (doubtful) it would look exactly the same.  It’s a porcelain tile made to look like Calcutta marble.  Figure about $3.88/sf at the airport’s bulk/contractor pricing.  It’s been the new 70s wood-look paneling equivalent for the past decade.  

Yeah, I wasn't speaking how it will look in 30 years in terms of upkeep/quality, but rather it will likely look dated much like the wood paneling you describe. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, 49er said:

I'm not usually a city competition person but I still think terminal 2 at RDU might be nicer/more inviting with the wood beams and architectural details. Our building is sleek and modern but a bit cold feeling so far. The blue panels at the entries are kinda cool. I look forward to seeing it in person. The outdoor glass canopy will be super impressive when complete. 

RDUs terminal 2 may indeed feel more "homey" with the wood beams and architectural details, but I think that CLTs expansion will fit better with the existing terminal than something more akin to RDU would.  CLT will definitely feel more "sterile" than RDU but it will have a continuous theme architecturally throughout once the E and D renovations are done.

Contrary to an airport like Baltimore (BWI), who recently underwent a similar terminal lobby expansion project, but now the terminal lobby is nice and open while many of the concourses (C and D in particular) feel like a different airport entirely.

Also, in reference to the post above.  Given Charlotte's history, if the pedestal for the Queen Charlotte statue and the trees are the only thing value engineered out of this project.  I would consider it a major win.  I was afraid the canopy would be value-engineered into oblivion, but fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CltFlyer said:

if the pedestal for the Queen Charlotte statue and the trees are the only thing value engineered out of this project.  I would consider it a major win.  I was afraid the canopy would be value-engineered into oblivion, but fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.  

13 hours ago, JeanClt said:

1f6277712c73c4ec6999acdf320325dd.jpg

I think this would’ve been nicer but it’s okay looking. The actual Pedestal looks a bit monolithic. And if those trees are not going up, it’s a horrible mistake.

I don't necessarily think the area with trees has been dropped from the final project. Rather, I think the trees will just be installed once construction is finished and the entire project is ready to open. 

The trees in the rendering seem to be embedded in some type of structure/bench, and I doubt those will be installed while construction is still ongoing. It seems to me that there is a temporary wall installed (shielded by the black curtain) where one set of trees will be. The pictures below provide a better overview of the area:

54AE5007-BCA5-4650-BC08-0210B74F555D.jpeg.ace5c6c67f50a285cb06ae6405aeb73b.jpeg

spacer.png

spacer.png

Given that the Atrium + Concourse D have always had trees (even during the cheap Jerry Orr days), I don't think they are necessarily an expensive proposition. The plethora of rocking chairs in the area just seems to be a temporary measure. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

For an airport... the pedestal we actually got is probably more practical. The fancy rendering one would have ended up with trash and dust inside that wouldn't be easy for the cleaning people to reach frequently. Just a big enough opening for somebody to chuck their trash, but hard to reach with a broom, et... People at an airport are gross, so having all surfaces easily accessible is best IMO. 

Agreed, In the renderings it looks like a water feature with the pedestal.  If that was the case.  Given that they are trying to preserve the statue, having water in close proximity would seem counter-intuitive.

Having said that, it would be nice to have a water feature in the airport.  I recently went through the new terminal at New York LaGuardia, and the water feature in the food court area was very impressive and a nice touch.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily think the area with trees has been dropped from the final project. Rather, I think the trees will just be installed once construction is finished and the entire project is ready to open. 
The trees in the rendering seem to be embedded in some type of structure/bench, and I doubt those will be installed while construction is still ongoing. It seems to me that there is a temporary wall installed (shielded by the black curtain) where one set of trees will be. The pictures below provide a better overview of the area:
54AE5007-BCA5-4650-BC08-0210B74F555D.jpeg.ace5c6c67f50a285cb06ae6405aeb73b.jpeg
bbba46d2-61cc-4ccd-bbec-14766c305805_750x422.jpg
BKKWS5NQWZC5VC6OUSOKODVC3U.JPG
Given that the Atrium + Concourse D have always had trees (even during the cheap Jerry Orr days), I don't think they are necessarily an expensive proposition. The plethora of rocking chairs in the area just seems to be a temporary measure. 

Yeah it’s what I’m hoping for, we’ll see in a year or so! The pedestal resembles almost exactly or the same design really of where it stood before it’s move inside. So not like it got something unexpected or necessarily worst. The wood and the structure in the rendering just looked more intriguing I guess.

2e77781ba15948aed8c759cc38bd27ce.jpg
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

More info on the Terminal Lobby Expansion.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article263623608.html

On the security lanes:

"Five existing security and ticketing checkpoints will be consolidated into three, Christine said. When renovations are complete, Checkpoints A and B will become Checkpoint 1, Checkpoints C and D will become Checkpoint 2 and Checkpoint E will become Checkpoint 3. “We’ve made sure that we haven’t lost any checkpoint capacity as we construct the project,” Christine said. “In Checkpoint E ... we took out the standard lanes you would typically see and installed automatic screening lanes, which increases capacity by lane by about 20 to 30% and increased our overall capacity.” The new checkpoints will open by next year, Christine said."

On the courtyard area: (trees are still very much in the plans!)

"The Queen Charlotte statue is the focal point of a lounging area called “the queen’s courtyard,” Christine said. Floor-to-ceiling windows and an oculus above Queen Charlotte allow more natural light to enter the new lobby. The courtyard will also hold rocking chairs, tree planters, restaurants and charging stations."

On the baggage claim area:

"The airport’s nine existing baggage claim carousels will be replaced with eight new ones, Christine said. Although there will be fewer total, the new carousels will have more space for passengers to retrieve their bags."

On the Canopy and Skywalks:

"A skybridge from the terminal lobby to upper parking decks is expected to start construction late September, Christine said. A canopy covering the eight-lane road in front of the terminal will start construction simultaneously."

image.thumb.png.9ae7a69e3766c903a596308530146fe6.png

image.thumb.png.0b8837eece893a752166db177b0d5170.png

The art fixtures will have lights.

image.thumb.png.e790aa5e7ce8789867d264f2f15a7bb7.png

The artwork will stretch the entire underground walkway and the walls will have artwork as well.  

I’m wondering if the ceilings will be high or low for the baggage claim area.  It just feels so cramped down there. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Temeteron said:

I’m wondering if the ceilings will be high or low for the baggage claim area.  It just feels so cramped down there. 

I believe the baggage carrousels themselves will have a ceiling above them, but with two story areas along the glass windows in areas there aren't escalators (such as where the statue is located, et.)

image.png

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 2

More info on the Terminal Lobby Expansion.
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article263623608.html

On the Canopy and Skywalks:
"A skybridge from the terminal lobby to upper parking decks is expected to start construction late September, Christine said. A canopy covering the eight-lane road in front of the terminal will start construction simultaneously."

http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_07/image.thumb.png.9ae7a69e3766c903a596308530146fe6.png
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_07/image.thumb.png.0b8837eece893a752166db177b0d5170.png
The art fixtures will have lights.
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2022_07/image.thumb.png.e790aa5e7ce8789867d264f2f15a7bb7.png
The artwork will stretch the entire underground walkway and the walls will have artwork as well.  

While I didn’t know how the canopy would be supported specifically and how it would distribute the load on the terminal side besides the obvious pillars in front of the parking garage. It looks like the latter of my suggestions of the canopy starting on one half seems to be the case unless they’re referring to a temporary canopy which it would have been specified unless I missed something? It makes sense to do one half and finish out the lobby and then the other side of canopy. As for the supporting structure of the canopy. The lobby itself is ready to hold up the canopy (or otherwise they wouldn’t do it that way lol). So I’m guessing we’ll get to see what half the canopy will look like before the whole thing is done! Cool beans.

That lightning pic is phenomenal. Looks like they're inventing time travel at the top of the tower.

acaebb3050205e1dfcb4c35c456e9fec.jpg

f99fadb28682e5f6dda6b2bad9705df1.jpg

Maybe they are… wish I had better quality photos I also missed a huge streak across the sky in the background that formed right before I started recording. Would have looked phenomenal even with the crap quality.
More pics of the terminal lobby expansion from the Biz journal article.  You get more of a perspective of just how much space it's adding.

airport-terminal-lobby-expansion-mk025.jpg

Didn’t know they were already working on the other half, interesting. It looks good. The blue tiles are eye catching!
  • Like 4