Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

17 hours ago, cltcane said:

AA is adding an additional daily flight to PDX (Portland, OR), SMF (Sacramento), OKC (Oklahoma City), TUL (Tulsa), LIT (Little Rock), XNA (Fayetteville/Bentonville, AR), and SGF (Springfield/Brandon, MO) this summer.  Great to see CLT get more service to the West Coast and the Midwest. Hopefully SJC (San Jose) becomes year-round and ICT (Wichita) finally gets added.

I would love for Wichita to be added, that is where I grew up and my parents still live there. Trying to get there is a pain right now, Delta's flight is actually preferred for me, always cheaper and shorter layovers.

On 5/1/2017 at 1:54 PM, caterpillar2 said:

My guess is that you haven't been to JFK, Boston, or many other numerous airports. I see nothing wrong with Charlotte. The restaurant availability is good, the concourses  are clean and certainly on par or above, and the bathrooms are clean with attendants. I don't know what bathroom you used, but it must have been after someone with bladder disease peed. What exactly are you referring to when you say "a b c leaves a lot to be desired?" Additionally, what is one way? I thought that all runways were one way with a big green area in between. What alley ways?  I am just curious. I mostly travel from Clt direct to Europe and sometimes go through other places. I see nothing wrong. I think the Charlotte airport is quite nice and I absolutely love the USO which I use if there is a delay or long wait. It is know as the second best airport  USO facility in the U.S. Saying "Charlotte is awful" needs some clarification and specifics. Sounds like personal grudge or 'airport envy' to me. There are likely more desirable airports around the world but Charlotte certainly is satisfactory and overall has one of the best on-time records in the U.S. 

operationally its a mess.   passenger standpoint it must be okay.   the bathrooms all smell like old pee.  my wife pointed it out and now i cant go in without noticing it.   food options are okay.  salsaritas need to go away.

alleyways are on the ramp, between the concourses.   most of them arent wide enough for 2 way traffic.  abc, are dark, and always hot.  the a/c must be ancient, or just junk. the moving sidewalks are constantly broken, or shut off.  i routinely have 40 minute taxi times from landing to the gate.  its pretty bad.  atlanta isn't that bad.  lga is not usually that bad.  taxi out times vary, but are usually reasonable. 

• Like 1

I don't know why everyone hates on JFK here, and on other travel sites.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've never had a delay at JFK.

Terminals 1/4/5/8 have all been completely rebuilt and are new. The mural in Terminal 8 is simply breathtaking and I love looking at it every time I pass through the terminal.

Terminal 7 is relatively worn (it's the only terminal in the US operated by a foreign airline) but BA is planning a multi-million dollar refurbishment project.

13 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

operationally its a mess.   passenger standpoint it must be okay.   the bathrooms all smell like old pee.  my wife pointed it out and now i cant go in without noticing it.   food options are okay.  salsaritas need to go away.

alleyways are on the ramp, between the concourses.   most of them arent wide enough for 2 way traffic.  abc, are dark, and always hot.  the a/c must be ancient, or just junk. the moving sidewalks are constantly broken, or shut off.  i routinely have 40 minute taxi times from landing to the gate.  its pretty bad.  atlanta isn't that bad.  lga is not usually that bad.  taxi out times vary, but are usually reasonable. 

Everyone I know from here and other places that goes through Charlotte have very positive things to say. I guess if you look hard enough you will find the things you claim, but who does that? Besides, I worked in the USO for several years and never saw any of the things you claimed exist. Most people are happy with the above average on time landings and take offs, etc. and the restaurant/bar situation which has and is improving daily.

17 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

i routinely have 40 minute taxi times from landing to the gate.  its pretty bad.  atlanta isn't that bad.  lga is not usually that bad.  taxi out times vary, but are usually reasonable. 

Not sure how or even if taxi time is factored but if you look at On Time Arrivals and Departures Charlotte was:

#4 in 2015 and #4 in 2016 for Arrival Performance

#9 in 2015 and #1 in 2016 for Departure Performance.

For what it's worth, LGA was #29 in arrivals both in 2015 and 2016.  So I guess the short taxi time from landing to the gate is a good consolation prize for being late on arriving in the first place.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, asthasr said:

The worst airports I've seen were CLE and CXR. PHL is also pretty bad and EWR made me want to rent a car and drive 10 hours home instead of staying for my layover. CLT is awesome by comparison.

EWR redefined the word "despair" for me

• Like 1

The airport's bond rating was upgraded by Fitch which means they will save millions of dollars in interest. With all of the borrowing they are and will be doing for the billions in construction this upgrade is very timely.

In other news I noticed that the terminal renovation project budget is now $70m. This is a doubling of the original budget and construction hasn't even started yet. I guess they kept on finding things to renovate. Would be interesting to find out the back story on that one.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how much of this is news, but:

American will launch year-round service to Toledo, Ohio, and Shreveport, La., starting Aug. 22. Both cities will get two daily round-trip flights to Charlotte, American’s second-busiest hub. The flights will be on 50-seat Bombardier CRJ200 regional jets operated by American regional affiliate PSA Airlines.

American revealed plans for three once-a-week seasonal routes from Charlotte. Saturday-only American Eagle flights to Bangor, Maine; Rapid City, S.D.; and Exuma in the Bahamas will start June 3 and continue through Aug 19. Those flights will be on a mix of PSA-operated Bombardier CRJ700 and CRJ900 regional jets.

12 hours ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

If anyone saw how quickly Atlanta rebuilt I-85 you'd have to believe the road work on this project was practically in slow motion.

Heh, I was actually thinking that they were going much faster than I expected, especially since they're in the dead center of a gazillion people driving and walking around. 

According to this article, they scheduled to be done in August 2018, well ahead of schedule: http://www.aviationpros.com/article/12325092/elevating-the-local-customer-at-clt

On 5/11/2017 at 1:50 PM, tozmervo said:

Heh, I was actually thinking that they were going much faster than I expected, especially since they're in the dead center of a gazillion people driving and walking around. 

According to this article, they scheduled to be done in August 2018, well ahead of schedule: http://www.aviationpros.com/article/12325092/elevating-the-local-customer-at-clt

Close it for like 4 nights offer 3.1 million, bus in the crew from North Georgia, it will get DONE. lol 

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/politics-government/article152055477.html

It's no surprise the airport wants a hotel built on the area the control tower occupies. I've seen plans for a hotel in that general area in the past couple of master plans, yet nothing has come of it. Same goes for the people mover-so I'm not holding my breath.

If a hotel does eventually get built there, I could see it being a Hyatt. They seem to be attracted to airport properties and the CLT region still lacks a proper Hyatt property.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, LKN704 said:

If a hotel does eventually get built there, I could see it being a Hyatt. They seem to be attracted to airport properties and the CLT region still lacks a proper Hyatt property.

I thought they like to do Hyatt Places near airports and save the proper Hyatts for more high-end areas?

2 hours ago, Vitamin_N said:

I thought they like to do Hyatt Places near airports and save the proper Hyatts for more high-end areas?

Ehh yes and no. Hyatt Regency has a lot of airport properties-the Hyatt Regency Orlando in MCO's atrium comes to mind as well. DFW has a Grand Hyatt connected to Terminal D.

An on-airport hotel is usually more high-end, especially if it provides direct, walkable access to the airport terminal. Think of the Westin at DTW. Conference rooms at said hotels are immensely popular. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, LKN704 said:

Ehh yes and no. Hyatt Regency has a lot of airport properties-the Hyatt Regency Orlando in MCO's atrium comes to mind as well. DFW has a Grand Hyatt connected to Terminal D.

An on-airport hotel is usually more high-end, especially if it provides direct, walkable access to the airport terminal. Think of the Westin at DTW. Conference rooms at said hotels are immensely popular. 

I can't imagine a hotel at CLT with walkable access to the airport. It seems that the closest land would be on Billy Graham or Wilkinson Blvd, neither walkable.