Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

I have flown 6x LHR>CLT in the last 3 years and have never had more then 10 minutes to clear customs here in CLT.  Quick and painless each time.  I don't have checked bags though and am usually one of the first off the plane.

Also you do NOT need to use the kiosks they have IF you fill out the customs card they hand out on the plane.  Fill that out on board and then walk right to the agent.  The kiosks do seem to slow down the process but even if you do have to stop at them would only be a matter of minutes extra not hours.

16 hours ago, kickazzz2000 said:

That doesn't always work.  Getting out of the cell lot gets so backed up only to be rewarded with getting backed up before the split.  Departures MIGHT save you 5 minutes in that situation.  

I have had great success in picking people up on the car rental levels of the parking ramp.  There is plenty of room to pull over to the North end of the garage before you turn into the various drop off sites.   Even when short term is ~60 minutes and free you still find yourself in a line at times.  With car rentals, you don't have that. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LKN704 said:

AA announced three new TATL routes (PHL-PRG/BUD, ORD-VCE) for Summer 2018. 

There are apparently other TATL changes. I wonder if anything is planned for CLT. 

The new American Airlines is starting to look more and more like US Airways as the management team reviews routes. Many said hubs like PHL and CLT would take a back seat to JFK. While JFK serves the largest metro in the country, there is also fierce competition that drives fares down and limited connections to fill the rest of the plane. In addition to the expansion at PHL and ORD, JFK - Zurich is being moved back to Philadelphia - Zurich. 

JFK is also losing JFK - Manchester and one frequency on JFK - Paris CDG per employee newsletters. 

AA's European network out of JFK will now be year round to Barcelona, London, Madrid, Milan, and Paris. Seasonal service to Dublin, Edinburgh, and Rome. Philadelphia getting niches routes like Budapest, show it will be the preferred hub for growth to Europe, much like US Air used Philadelphia. With this shift, we may seem some new routes tried again at CLT.

In addition, the former US Air leadership team running American Airlines has decided against seat back IFE on future aircraft deliveries (much like US Airways). American's order of 100 Boeing 737-Max aircraft that will begin delivery in late 2017 will not have in seat entertainment. The A321 orders made by the former AA leadership will be the last domestic planes with in seat IFE ordered by AA.

Edited by CLT2014

3 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

The new American Airlines is starting to look more and more like US Airways as the management team reviews routes. Many said hubs like PHL and CLT would take a back seat to JFK. While JFK serves the largest metro in the country, there is also fierce competition that drives fares down and limited connections to fill the rest of the plane. In addition to the expansion at PHL and ORD, JFK - Zurich is being moved back to Philadelphia - Zurich. 

JFK is also losing JFK - Manchester and one frequency on JFK - Paris CDG per employee newsletters. 

AA's European network out of JFK will now be year round to Barcelona, London, Madrid, Milan, and Paris. Seasonal service to Dublin, Edinburgh, and Rome. Philadelphia getting niches routes like Budapest, show it will be the preferred hub for growth to Europe, much like US Air used Philadelphia. With this shift, we may seem some new routes tried again at CLT.

In addition, the former US Air leadership team running American Airlines has decided against seat back IFE on future aircraft deliveries (much like US Airways). American's order of 100 Boeing 737-Max aircraft that will begin delivery in late 2017 will not have in seat entertainment. The A321 orders made by the former AA leadership will be the last domestic planes with in seat IFE ordered by AA.

On the IFE...i prefer it on device, but there needs to be charging available...

22 hours ago, xapostrophe said:

On the IFE...i prefer it on device, but there needs to be charging available...

Could they also make it compatible with Microsoft Surface because it presently is not supported for some weird reason.

Edited by ajfunder

On 16/08/2017 at 8:28 AM, LKN704 said:

AA announced three new TATL routes (PHL-PRG/BUD, ORD-VCE) for Summer 2018. 

There are apparently other TATL changes. I wonder if anything is planned for CLT. 

I'm hearing that there is new LHR service coming. I have heard that Phoenix will get AA service to London, and that existing service (i.e CLT potentially) may also be increased. 

Also no changes are planned to seasonal service apparently, however this is galley gossip so may be wrong. 

Edited by CLT704

9 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

I'm hearing that there is new LHR service coming. I have heard that Phoenix will get AA service to London, and that existing service (i.e CLT potentially) may also be increased. 

Also no changes are planned to seasonal service apparently, however this is galley gossip so may be wrong. 

American's new VP of Charlotte Hub had an interview in the Charlotte Observer today. He said

"One thing he doesn’t expect to see soon, though: A surge in new international flights from Charlotte Douglas. American Airlines announced a crop of new European flights Wednesday from its hubs in Chicago and Philadelphia, but not Charlotte. Lee said the high percentage of transferring passengers, rather than people starting their trips in Charlotte, makes that less likely for now."

4 minutes ago, CLT704 said:

^ I guess the question is what constitutes a surge? An extra seasonal flight or extra London, is that a surge? I don't know. I am just sharing what I've been told. 

Yeah I could see an extra seasonal flight or one to London. I think he was just trying to manage expectations and say we won't get several flights like Philadelphia got. They may wait and see how bookings are going to Europe too before making a decision to add an extra flight to CLT. Brexit, terrorism in Europe, the European economy, new competition from Norwegian and Wow Air, etc... will all factor into demand planning next summer across the pond. 

Edited by CLT2014

18 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Yeah I could see an extra seasonal flight or one to London. I think he was just trying to manage expectations and say we won't get several flights like Philadelphia got. They may wait and see how bookings are going to Europe too before making a decision to add an extra flight to CLT. Brexit, terrorism in Europe, the European economy, new competition from Norwegian and Wow Air, etc... will all factor into demand planning next summer across the pond. 

Totally agree. And by the sound of it, not adding INTL service is not confirmed as he only "expects" it not too; he may be trying to not reveal anything prematurely- something may be in the works. Then again I was told no planned seasonal changes. 

Philadelphia will get reduced to nothing and Charlotte will be reduced by 45% 

JFK & MIA will grow by 5000% each and it will be the most beautiful and most yuge airports in the world. 

Ohhhh, it's funny how all the A.Net experts were so sure Hillbilly Philly & PHL were history within 2 years and anyone who disagreed were stupid.

Yet those same experts now think PHL is favorable over JFK and CLT is a powerhouse hub. Hm

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

I'll say one thing, they have got to get the traffic situation under control. I waited 25 minutes this afternoon for my Lyft driver (who sat in traffic from Wilkinson to the terminal). It's an absolute clusterf^&k out there.

I think they should close the arrivals level to cars and only allow the shuttles, taxis, ubers, and buses with a permit in until the new elevated roadway opens. Single vehicles picking up should have to go to the hourly deck and wait for the person they are picking up there.

Once the new roadway opens, having the parking shuttles on the terminal curb and vehicles on the islands is going to be incredibly helpful.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Miesian Corners said:

I'll say one thing, they have got to get the traffic situation under control. I waited 25 minutes this afternoon for my Lyft driver (who sat in traffic from Wilkinson to the terminal). It's an absolute clusterf^&k out there.

I sometimes uber/lyft to the employee lot because the buses are too full, late or infrequent. BUT yes...traffic is bad, however, should clear up soonish with the new pick up and drop off situation this spring/summer...right?

2 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

This and AA baggage claim waits.  Ridiculously bad.

Just got off AA733 from LHR a couple of hours ago. Some things I just noticed at FIS tonight:

1. The process was very quick, even though there were a couple of other Euro arrivals at the time. In all my years of traveling, I experienced the quickest and least painful CBP interview at passport control today. The agent just looked at me, scanned my passport, asked what day I left the USA, and told me to have a good night. Maybe 35 seconds top.

Those who filled out a customs were told to go to the manual inspection lane, while those without it went to an APC kiosk. The flight crew onboard made everyone will out a customs form. Again, I don't see the point of APC if you still have to wait in line after to chat to an agent.

2. The low D-gates are nasty. I've always arrived at the high D-gates when landing on an international flight. The high-D gates are the ones with escalators that lead directly into FIS. The low-D gates you walk down a series of never-ending claustrophobic tunnel-like ramps to get to FIS. The paint was chipping all over the place, and the walls and ceiling had noticeable cracks, and the ceiling tiles all appeared to have water damage. I hope they redo this area soon (and replace those ugly rust-colored lights on the walls of the tunnel).

3. I noticed they recently renamed the baggage claims in FIS from A/B/C/D to 1/2/3/4. I wonder if they are starting to make preparations to add the two additional claims.

On 8/17/2017 at 6:02 PM, AirNostrumMAD said:

Philadelphia will get reduced to nothing and Charlotte will be reduced by 45% 

JFK & MIA will grow by 5000% each and it will be the most beautiful and most yuge airports in the world. 

Ohhhh, it's funny how all the A.Net experts were so sure Hillbilly Philly & PHL were history within 2 years and anyone who disagreed were stupid.

Yet those same experts now think PHL is favorable over JFK and CLT is a powerhouse hub. Hm

Even the legacy AA pilots were all very surprised by the size of the international operation in Philly.  I don't think they realized what was going on.   USairways wasn't exactly a tiny airline.

• Like 1