Charlotte-Douglas Airport (CLT) Expansion

uptownliving

It's great to see CLT performing well post-merger.  CLT is located in the perfect spot to connect East Cost/Midwestern flyers with other destinations.  MIA is simply too far south to perform that role.  Plus CLT is sandwiched between SkyTeam's ATL hub and Star's IAD, so AA/oneworld must maintain a fortress hub at CLT to be relevant.

The decline in flights is actually an encouraging trend.  Now that there are only 3 major airline alliances + Southwest, there's been a lot of upgauging: notice the number of 737-800's that AA now flies from CLT in addition to the huge fleet of A321s deployed on trunk routes.  AA is both the largest A321 and 737-800 operator in the country.  Thankfully the number of routes flown by CRJ-200's is declining too.

Lastly, in terms of international routes, we'll just have to wait until AA takes delivery of all its 787-8s, 787-9s, and A350-900s to figure out if they'll add anything new and exciting from CLT.  The A330 fleet is relativley new and serves PHL/CLT well.

• Like 1

I know there were some pictures posted prior to the completion of 1897 Market and the A/B Connector's construction, but it's of course all complete by now as mentioned in a post a while back. I snapped a few photos last time I was in the airport. It's quite impressive - a huge space with three entrances. One in the atrium, one on the A concourse, and one on the B concourse. Didn't have a chance to check out the food/drink, but this is the kind of place CLT needs more of. Glad to see some more interesting dining options. Now with Bad Daddy's, 1897 Market, PZA, Beaudevin, Whiskey River (OK, not sure how great the food is there, but at least it's local), CLT finally has some options other than typical mall chain restaurants.

Also, the right wall of the connector doesn't look permanent. Isn't there supposed to be more retail going in here?

20150729_153242.jpg

20150729_153259.jpg

20150730_212816.jpg

20150730_212859.jpg

• Like 2

I don't remember if any other retail/concession spaces were planned for or have been announced for the A/B Connector, but I really wish there was space on the third floor (which was built to accommodate additional offices) or somewhere else in the airport for an American Express Centurion Lounge.  They are by far the nicest airport lounges in the US and on par with many international lounges in my opinion.  And apparently AmEx listens to feedback from lounge guests to help determine where to open new lounges when space is or becomes available.  I've had managers in several lounges tell me to mention CLT as a preferred future location to the front desk staff every time I visit a lounge.

I would love to check out Centurion Lounge, but with an Admiral's Club membership, that would be hard for me to justify. In other cites without an AA lounge, though, I would totally pay the $50 if I had a long layover. The last time I was in LV, a coworker and I arrived 3 hours early to the airport and ended up spending over $100 total on two meals and two drinks a piece (and I am talking about a sandwich and a pizza - not a dry aged filet mingon). Had I known that it would be that much, I would have gladly gone to the Centurion Lounge. I just hate that they don't give that benefit of free entry to all Amex customers (I have a gold and a blue card). $495/year for the Platinum card is a bit much and has less airport lounge access than it used to. Almost every major airline does not accept the Amex Platinum as a "free ticket" to their lounge anymore. With as few Centurion lounges a there are, it makes more sense to pay on demand than to get a Platinum card, especially when I already haven Admirals club membership.

I didn't know that about the 737 increase.  Have they directly replaced my hated commuter jets or are those lower volume  routes lost to hubs? 

The smallest-sized commuter jets like the CRJ-200 are being upgagued in favor of next-generation CRJ-700/900's and Embraer E-jets.  So regional jets aren't going away unfortunately...

That is not the second bad daddy's location that i was hoping for

Personally I'd prefer a Bojangles in Every Single Terminal so that no matter where I fly through, I don't have to truck my ass across the airport for some biscuits. 

And while we are at it, I was SO excited to buy HD&R at the airport last time I was there... I had grand plans of buying a 4 pack, but at $32 a 4 pack, I elected to have it at a bar near my gate.

It's looking like the NC Senate has relented on their hard-line stance against the aviation fuel tax credit.  Although I do not think the NC Senate economic development bill will pass the NC House, at least the tax credit appears in both Senate and House versions of the bill.  Hopefully the credit will appear in the final version passed in both houses, and AA will not divert flights away from CLT as it has threatened to do.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article30219267.html

• Like 1

Noticed this week that the ramp area in E concourse has been marked up significantly.   Looks like the E expansion might be beginning very soon. Saw several people taking measurements.  I  suppose that the condition the north end of E has been in would make it pretty easy to expand in a hurry.  It has always looked like the in ground fuel tanks were already there.  Anybody have some inside info on this?

That part of E is also built higher than the rest of the concourse (and I assume the new 10-gate expansion uptownliving mentioned on the previous page will be as well) which means that the new gates with jet bridges could accommodate the E170/175, freeing up some of the gates Republic currently uses on C for mainline flights.

I knew the far end of e was designed to be like a second story, for larger rjs and the it was intended to be a fast expansion much like the last addition made to E.   I know that Republic is getting a slow boot out of DCA in favor of PSA.  The word is that  Republic is being shuffled north to handle the LGA/JFK flying and PSA is sliding into DCA and moving west as well.    Wouldn't be surprised if Republic end up out of Charlotte almost entirely not that they a lot of presence currently.  Would be nice to see the jet bridges go in soon as well.

My issue is that you can have both.  Aesthetics and function should not be an either or.  Our airport is the only thing most people will ever see of Charlotte.  Our best foot should be put forward.  Dirty, hot, and shoddy are not things I want associated with my home town.  

That's a fair point.

c7NJRa2.gif

• Like 2

My issue is that you can have both.  Aesthetics and function should not be an either or.  Our airport is the only thing most people will ever see of Charlotte.  Our best foot should be put forward.  Dirty, hot, and shoddy are not things I want associated with my home town.  

I routinely have people tell me CLT is one of the nicest, cleanest, easiest to use airport they have ever been.