Va. Beach Towncenter project

vdogg

Just a recap from the projects listing.

I. Phase 4 2nd office tower towncenter

"I emailed Mr. Divaris yesterday to get an update on the prospective tower which will be built on the Columbus Center parking lot and here is his response:

Yes we have started the plans for block 11, the south parking lot of

One Columbus Center. The current plans call for a 23 storey building,

but that could change based upon demand. As we have very little office

space available the timing is right to get started. We are talking to

several tenants about space so we could get going sooner than later. As

of now, we expect to break ground for that building some time in the

second/third quarter of 2006 and we expect it to open in earl 2008."

(courtesy of guynvb)

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the new tower brings in new businesses instead of relocations from within the area but I must admit I am not terribly optimistic. When I see new businesses coming to TC that is when I will truly feel like we are making significant progress for the city.

• 3 weeks later...

...Nicer and classier... but nothing remarkable given the time it was under construction... :huh:

And I can't find the old maps that showed the layout of the development anywhere. I guess it's a little more complex...

Look under the Leasing tab on the website. It shows an updated master plan (abeit tiny) with cinemas added to block 9. The website also mentions a 20 story office tower, 8 of that parking, to be built on Block 11 and completed in 2008. If you check out office leasing it should be there. Cool stuff!

Look under the Leasing tab on the website. It shows an updated master plan (abeit tiny) with cinemas added to block 9. The website also mentions a 20 story office tower, 8 of that parking, to be built on Block 11 and completed in 2008. If you check out office leasing it should be there. Cool stuff!

good find vaceltic! here's a quote from the site:

"Construction is set to begin on the new 20-story second high-rise office tower at the Town Center of Virginia Beach with occupancy set for Summer 2008. The office component of 287,000 square feet over 12 floors will be above a 800 car parking garage. In addition, there will be 80,000 square feet of retail stores complementing the tenant mix at the Town Center."

Wow, all kinds of observations.. Looking at this picture you can really see just how big block 11 is - the square parking lot almost dead center.. first thing, the tower on block 11 was earlier purported to be 23 storeys and not 20 but if it has 8 stories of parking then that would be 28 which is higher than the AH Tower. And look how block 11 has been segregated- TONS of retail on the southern side (Parisian??!) beside which will be more retail with condos on top - awesome! tons of total retail in block 11.. notice how small the footprint is for the office tower compared to the AH's footprint.. very small.. block 9- (where those houses sit now) more condos above retail and then cinemas (different than a theater?) above retail.. I guess this would be in addition to Columbus 12? the retail component has been added near the PAC.. notice all the retail around the Westin ground floor.. notice also block 5 now has some smallish one storey retail on the south side. This is just from looking at the schematic. I need to take time later to look over the whole website.

Wow, all kinds of observations.. first, the building on block 11 was earlier purported to be 23 storeys and not 20 but if it has 8 stories of parking then that would be 28 which is higher than the AH Tower. And look how block 11 has been segregated- TONS of retail on the southern side (Parisian??!) beside which will be more retail with condos on top - awesome! tons of total retail in block 11.. notice how small the footprint is for the office tower compared to the AH's footprint.. very small.. block 9- (where those houses sit now) more condos above retail and then Cinemas above retail.. I guess this would be in addition to Columbus 12? the retail component has been added near the PAC.. notice all the retail around the Westin ground floor.. wow, this is very interesting indeed.

If you read my earlier quote from the site, it specifically says a 12-story office tower with an 800 space (8 story) garage totalling 20 stories, not 28. Still good news though.

based on the master plan, it looks like they're going ahead with the pedestrian bridge across vabeach blvd...i thought there was going to be another one connecting dick's to the westin? if that was ever in the plan before, it's gone now...

That's a great question. I can ask my contact about that and get back to everyone.

based on the map of the master plan, the new office tower looks incredibly thin. Also, on the plot next to the westin(between block 9 and 13), it says cinemas above retail. I wonder if that is the first step in redeveloping blocks 15, 16 and 17 by moving columbus theater from block 15 into the new cinemas.

My God, 12 hours offline and all of this! This is absolutely awesome. We'll probably be getting a pilot article shortly out of this stuff. The condos above retail for the kiddie lot is something I find of particular interest. After all, that is the lot that Mr. Divaris said to expect a major announcement from soon. :D

I'm tired now, but I will update the projects listing later today. It looks like I have 3 new items to add. :)

Also, with this office tower, construction will have to begin by summer in order to meet their completion date. I have a feeling that part of the reason the office tower was scaled back is due to that 12 story office tower(near pembroke 6) getting ready to start construction this year. Add to that the City Walk development and there's gonna be an awful lot of towers under construction this year. :)

Also, looking at this map a bit closer I now understand why they are driving all the piles for the Westin in the location that they are. That is a huge retail component and it looks as though the final design for the Westin garage may have been significantly altered.

msp-enlarge2.jpg

The Westin tower seems like it is going to take up much more of the block than I had originally thought, which is fine. It looks like the block will have alot of activity to it, which is also good because it should keep it from being a dead block. (Dick's seems to be a bit of a dead block right now.)

I love the layout for the performance theater. I think it will have a dynamic feel at that site with the state's tallest looming over it. I am really curious of the retail building outside the theater, that could be a true architectural gem if it is done right (please tell me CMS doesn't have their hands in the theater site too.)

I am curious about block 11, it is hard to figure out what the buildings might look like as of right now.

I am still not happy with the plan for block 5's parking lot. That lot could have so much potential and also be a perfect site for a hidden architectural gem. With the garage on block 11, I think they could do without this surface lot.

I can't wait to see the buildings on block 15, 16, and 17 come down and the creation of 6 blocks of urban city come out of it. If I was a wealthy developer, I would of bought those lots by now.

And that lucky son of a beotch that owns Taco Bell must be the happiest man in Virginia Beach right now.

oh my god! there is a santa!! Bored at work I was looking up information that you guys probably already know.

"Developed by renowned architects Philip Johnson / Alan Ritchie of New York and CMSS of Virginia Beach, plans for the Center present a tantalizing vision of a performance hall. "

That retail build next to the theater better kick ass.

The Westin tower seems like it is going to take up much more of the block than I had originally thought....

Actually, it appears that the Westin takes up far less of the block. This seems to be the reason they are almost done driving piles but have driven almost none on the West side of the lot. Driving by, they have cleared and cordoned off that section in a way that mimics the retail block in that section on the map. The renderings probably no longer accurately represent how this project will look at ground level. I truly believe that the garage design and proportions have significantly changed. Hopefully we'll know some more info by Tuesday. Guynvb is on the case :shades: and hopefully is contact can inform him of any changes.

"Developed by renowned architects Philip Johnson / Alan Ritchie of New York and CMSS of Virginia Beach, plans for the Center present a tantalizing vision of a performance hall. "

Where did this come from?

Ok, I stand corrected. Although you can't tell from the renderings this view is coming from the southern approach (someone had earlier theorized that it came from the northern, or PAC, side of the building). You can clearly see the retail component which will front the columbus and independence sides of the property.

westin2.jpg

ec3a0504.jpg

Actually, it appears that the Westin takes up far less of the block. This seems to be the reason they are almost done driving piles but have driven almost none on the West side of the lot. Driving by, they have cleared and cordoned off that section in a way that mimics the retail block in that section on the map. The renderings probably no longer accurately represent how this project will look at ground level. I truly believe that the garage design and proportions have significantly changed. Hopefully we'll know some more info by Tuesday. Guynvb is on the case :shades: and hopefully is contact can inform him of any changes.

Where did this come from?

The news of Philip Johnson came straight form VBGov.com so I am thinking it is a reliable source. I am happy to see there will be some different architecture touches to the town center. I was afraid everything was going to come from CMSS.

Archived