Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

I don’t think there are any street lights past the Brookfield office park.   Maybe big intersections are lit (like Broad and Parham)? 

when trying to figure out if I’m in the city or in the county (like off of Cherokee Road for example) I look for street lights.   Everywhere in the city has at least some rickety street lights, they are still rare af in the counties.  Midlothian, Chester, Highland Springs and Sandston are the only places that I can think of with any. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The $65 million further stroadification of Route 10 in Chester is a year behind schedule - and is expected to be completed sometime this summer.

Below are renderings from WRIC-TV 8 showing the transformation from what was to what is in the making. Not saying that Chester is the "new Short Pump" (radically different land values among other things), but it IS a hotspot of burgeoning development with a lot of projects in pipeline for the next few years.

Fromg WRIC-TV 8 News:

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/chesterfield-county/65-million-chester-route-10-road-widening-project-almost-a-year-past-deadline/

progress.webp

Screenshot (305).png

Screenshot (306).png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Does anyone have any info on the highway addition in Moseley, specifically left/west of Magnolia Green and the Moseley "lake"? I have family moving into that space and they are curious. 

Idk the area very well so I'm not in tune to even know how to start looking it up...

The Powhite Parkway Extension that will connect into Hull Street near thee Metro Richmond Zoo?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good article in yesterday's RT-D about the state of play with road development in various locations in Chesterfield. Unfortunately, the article confirms what I was talking about/lamenting previously about us not being prepared for the biggies like Intel - and it essentially answers your question, @wrldcoupe4about whether the lack of a road is what tipped the scale in favor of wherever it was they decided to go over RVA (we were a finalist for the factory).

Regarding the play between any development at Upper Magnolia Green and the Powhite Parkway extension, the article says:

1.) Meanwhile, before the county can approve any plan of development for the site, it needs to have plans in place for building a portion of the Powhite extension between U.S. 360 and the end point of the first phase of the extension. That portion would run from Charter Colony Parkway to the planned Woolridge Road Extension, as a four-lane road with grade-separated intersections at Charter Colony Parkway and Woolridge Road Extension, as well as bridge overpasses at Brandermill Parkway and Watermill Parkway.

2.) The Powhite connection to U.S. 360 needs to be completed before county officials will be allowed to issue an certificate of occupancy for any building in the technology park. The extension beyond that first portion would run a four-lane road for about 10 miles, including a portion along the eastern edge of the Upper Magnolia technology park.

The article did not detail what specific county ordinances are on the books that require the roads to be COMPLETE before they can issue a certificate of occupancy to any building constructed. And, Coupe, to your question, not sure if any feedback from Intel is even necessary. It's clear as day here - the county is not permitted to allow a certificate of occupancy for anything built at Upper Magnolia UNTIL the portion of the extension between Upper Magnolia and Hull Street Road is COMPLETE.

Does NOT take a rocket scientist to figure out why Intel said "hasta la bye bye" to metro RVA when they had another place far better prepared to receive them.

THIS is EXACTLY what I was lamenting previously and what folks were not getting. WE ARE NOT PREPARED!! And, what makes it worse in my mind, is the fact that, according to previous reporting by the Times-Dispatch, plans, routing, etc., for the Powhite extension from the 288 beltway to U.S. 360 have been ON THE BOOKS and ESSENTIALLY UNCHANGED since - are you all sitting down?? -- 1989.

NINETEEN EIGHTY-EFFING-EIGHTY-NINE, FOLKS!!!

And some 34 years later, not one shovel of dirt has been turned to build ANY of the roads necessary to land a Moby Dick-sized UBER-mega-fish like Intel at Magnolia Green. MEANWHILE - according to the Times-Dispatch - do you know what we lost out on? A 400-acre, multi-billion-dollar facility that would have brought upwards of 20,000 jobs. Read it again, folks - TWENTY THOUSAND JOBS!!!

Am I or am I not correct in recalling that, according to @wrldcoupe4and @upzoningisgood-- THIS is the kind of job growth metro RVA desperately needs if we are to kick it into high gear and grow (and be able to compete with) Nashville, RDU-CH, among other places. 

We missed out because we weren't ready -and three years later - we STILL aren't ready!!

Lots to digest in this article and be hopeful about - I'm just TORCHED that we've sat on this (Powhite extension) for 34 years and now the hens are coming home to roost in that we're missing out on something like an Intel factory and 20,000 new jobs.

From yesterday's Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/news/local/business/development/roads-may-be-key-to-chesterfield-countys-economic-growth-heres-why/article_a1d3b69c-20db-11ee-be9d-1f633a483205.html

64b81cd183099.webp

64bad17d4ac57.preview.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

And some 34 years later, not one shovel of dirt has been turned to build ANY of the roads necessary to land a Moby Dick-sized UBER-mega-fish like Intel at Magnolia Green. MEANWHILE - according to the Times-Dispatch - do you know what we lost out on? A 400-acre, multi-billion-dollar facility that would have brought upwards of 20,000 jobs. 

Although I certainly empathize with what you're saying (as, as someone who grew up in Chesterfield in a time of many questionable decisions, I feel like I have footing to do so), I think two considerations are fair: (1) Any plans for extending Powhite since 1989 have been conceptual/aspirational and entirely dependent on funding coming out of pretty much nowhere.  And funding for a sizable percentage of the extension appears to be a mystery still. But one could argue that the only reason the extension -- i.e., the whole extension, not just staged tiny slivers -- is a realistic possibility is this planned technology park (as a quote from the article says, you need traffic both ways to get money). Which leads to ... (2) It seems clear that the county has taken a sequential approach to such developments. Meadowville came first. Maybe for good reason (given its location and the availability of federal funding for the I-295 interchange), maybe not. It is what it is, I guess.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Although I certainly empathize with what you're saying (as, as someone who grew up in Chesterfield in a time of many questionable decisions, I feel like I have footing to do so), I think two considerations are fair: (1) Any plans for extending Powhite since 1989 have been conceptual/aspirational and entirely dependent on funding coming out of pretty much nowhere.  And funding for a sizable percentage of the extension appears to be a mystery still. But one could argue that the only reason the extension -- i.e., the whole extension, not just staged tiny slivers -- is a realistic possibility is this planned technology park (as a quote from the article says, you need traffic both ways to get money). Which leads to ... (2) It seems clear that the county has taken a sequential approach to such developments. Meadowville came first. Maybe for good reason (given its location and the availability of federal funding for the I-295 interchange), maybe not. It is what it is, I guess.

Understood - and very good, valid points all the way around. My only contention is that because we're not farther along on this:

1.) We've already lost out on 20,000 jobs, a tens-of-billion dollar investment, NAME recognition for having a business locating a manufacturing center here (EVERYONE knows who Intel is) and tying said name to Richmond (or vice-versa, tying the name "Richmond" to the name "Intel". 

2.) We continue falling farther behind our chief rivals like Nashville and RDU-CH. (CLT(city/metro, not airport) has already sized out of our market in terms of being a direct competitor - they've long-since blown us out of the water now -- and to any/all who might push back saying, "oh, that's alright, we don't need to compete, do what they do, yada yada..." NO IT IS NOT ALRIGHT!!! WE ARE COMPETING WITH THESE MARKETS WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT! IF WE'RE GOING TO COMPETE THEN WE DAMN WELL BETTER PLAY TO WIN BECAUSE THESE CITIES ARE EATING OUR LUNCH!!!

3.) Given the CURRENT state of affairs with the extension, we're looking at, what, MINIMALLY another 8 to 10 years before we can expect this thing will be built? And since Chesterfield apparently can't even issue a certificate of occupancy for any building to rise on Magnolia Green without the extension (again, the article did not specify WHY this is) - does that mean Magnolia Green will just sit there for another 8 to 10 years while other UBER-MEGA-big-fish opportunities similar to Intel will "strongly consider" metro RVA - but take their billions of dollars and multiple-thousands-of-jobs ELSEWHERE to places like Nashville, Austin, RDU-CH, or for that matter, anytown, USA that has proper infrastructure and roads at the ready or at least underway?

The reasons of "why" this situation with the extension and Magnolia Green is how it is no question is important in order to understand what's not happening and why it isn't happening. But the MUCH BIGGER issue is EVERYTHING we're going to be potentially losing out on while we get "strongly considered" for a HUGE relo or factory or whatever - only to - yet again - get passed over for some other city that's WAY ahead of us on the preparation meter.

That's the greater point that seems to be getting ignored or excused. (@Flood Zone I'm not aiming this at you or saying that you are ignoring or excusing this - I'm just speaking in general.)

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

The Powhite extension should've already been built. If anything, it would've relieved the traffic along Hull Street Rd. But given that the state will operate it (like they do the current Pkwy outside city limits), I'm sure they are in fact worrying about where the money is coming from. It's not helping that much of the potential money is going to NOVA & Hampton Roads. 

Since I'm sure the extension is going to be tolled anyway, might as well go old school with it: create another public authority and sell some bonds to fund it. It's absolutely ridiculous that it's 2023 and not a single grain of dirt have been turned over yet for a road that is sorely needed (forget about the tech park for a sec, people in that area need to get to the already available jobs in a timely manner).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Stealing from Reddit:

FILL OUT THIS SURVEY FOR BUSES AND BIKES!

cary1.JPG

While I sometimes agree with closing some streets to thru traffic, this one is a huge NO. A lot of commuters use Cary St to get to work (not everyone in the west end of the city is willing to use the Downtown Expwy and/or pay the toll no matter how cheap it is compared to much of the country). If this is closed, it would either force the city to make Ellwood a 2-way street, or force people to drive through other streets parallel to Cary. I'm pretty sure the residents who live on those streets will not be pleased with any of that. Yeah I'm for getting people to use public transportation and getting them to drive less often, but let's be realistic about this one.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, plain said:

While I sometimes agree with closing some streets to thru traffic, this one is a huge NO. A lot of commuters use Cary St to get to work (not everyone in the west end of the city is willing to use the Downtown Expwy and/or pay the toll no matter how cheap it is compared to much of the country). If this is closed, it would either force the city to make Ellwood a 2-way street, or force people to drive through other streets parallel to Cary. I'm pretty sure the residents who live on those streets will not be pleased with any of that. Yeah I'm for getting people to use public transportation and getting them to drive less often, but let's be realistic about this one.

I agree.  What I like about urban areas is the grid street system.  It keeps traffic down on the streets due to options.  Therefore less traffic means better pedestrian safety.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, plain said:

Since I'm sure the extension is going to be tolled anyway, might as well go old school with it: create another public authority and sell some bonds to fund i

Pretty sure there is no political will for the extension to be tolled and never has been. The sentiment since day 1 of the current extension is that Chesterfield drivers are tolled enough.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Pretty sure there is no political will for the extension to be tolled and never has been. The sentiment since day 1 of the current extension is that Chesterfield drivers are tolled enough.

Oh trust me, I completely understand county residents' sentiments about tolls, but I'm trying to be realistic about this. Nowadays, especially in Virginia, expensive projects aren't happening without tolling of some sort being attached. All the lanes being added to I-95, I-66, and I-64 in NOVA & Hampton Roads respectfully are HOT lanes. The existing inner lanes of I-64 between I-264 & I-464 in Hampton Roads is being converted to HOT lanes. The obvious exception to all this is I-64 between Richmond and Newport News, which including the final upcoming 29 mile section, will still be free. But if we want the Powhite to be completed and in a timely manner, don't be surprised to see some toll gantries in the mix. It's not going to be a cheap project.

• Like 1