Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

10 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

This was proposed as a solution to Pulse buses having to leave some riders behind due to the buses reaching capacity.

This was a serious pre-pandemic problem during the evening rush hour. Bus would reach capacity at MCV, no room at Government Center. Next bus, same. Next bus, cram in. Not as much of a problem now, but I can still see the desire to do this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flood Zone said:

This was a serious pre-pandemic problem during the evening rush hour. Bus would reach capacity at MCV, no room at Government Center. Next bus, same. Next bus, cram in. Not as much of a problem now, but I can still see the desire to do this.

Honestly, I think it's past time for GRTC/CVTA to make a serious investment in some articulated buses for the PULSE line. Only run them during peak hours, but have them available to meet high-rider demand times such as rush hours. I'm honestly surprised they haven't taken the Nestea Plunge on this already, though certainly the pandemic impacted things. 

Something else GRTC/CVTA might want to consider at some point, particularly once the Broad Street line is extended to Short Pump and the north-south line is built -  locating a small  PULSE-only dedicated satellite garage/maintenance facility near the terminus of the PULSE lines (just one facility for the east-west line and one for the north-south line). That way, PULSE rolling stock can be maintained only a short distance from one of the starting points rather than having to make the long schlep from the main garage on Belt Boulevard out to Timbuctoo, particularly if lines reach as far as Virginia Center Commons, Chester (or even farther south), Short Pump, the airport, Midlothian and to the beltway along Hull Street Road. Once all of the Southside routes are built and the two lines going southwest extend to Midlo and to 360/288, perhaps a small facility could be located relatively evenly between the two end points, accessible via the beltway.

Praying I'm wrong on this (and I'm not meaning to be judgmental) but I get the feeling GRTC/CVTA haven't thought that far ahead just yet. This is something they should have in their long-range plan and, particularly when they move forward on the Short Pump extension and construction of the main north-south line. 

2 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

While perhaps less so, it still occurs often enough.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the long-awaited Gayton Road interchange has cleared a hurdle (with only numerous hurdles to go, including funding it). The article also touches on other potential improvements, such as cleaning up some of the dangerous I-64/Broad St. transitions and furthering the Frankstein's-monster-fication of 288 (which, lamentably, was not constructed with any foresight regarding its future traffic volumes).  

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Looks like the long-awaited Gayton Road interchange has cleared a hurdle (with only numerous hurdles to go, including funding it). The article also touches on other potential improvements, such as cleaning up some of the dangerous I-64/Broad St. transitions and furthering the Frankstein's-monster-fication of 288 (which, lamentably, was not constructed with any foresight regarding its future traffic volumes).  

"Frankenstein's-monster-fication" 😂 LOVE IT!! Well said! 👍

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

Here's how it could look if what is planned comes to pass:

GaytonInterchange1.jpg

GaytonInterchange2-700x406.jpg

GaytonInterchange3-700x357.jpg

• Like 3

Axios Richmond this morning has a link to an article in the Free Lance Star (Fredericksburg) about Amtrak's record-setting April across Virginia - in which passenger volume increased by more than 53% statewide. While this article isn't Richmond-SPECIFIC, it does impact Richmond as we're a big part of the mix, particularly with new round-trip service between MSS and DC added in (and more planned in the coming years). To me the biggest takeaway is what's NOT said in this article: that this should give state and local officials even more impetus to bang the drum for funding - and to push forward with work - on replacing the James River rail crossing with a new bridge - which will completely open up service from Norfolk -- and from points south along the Atlantic seaboard -- through Main Street Station. If memory serves, once this bridge is replaced, Amtrak's plan is to eliminate use of the CSX-A-line for all trains except East Coast Auto Trains - routing the entire service schedule through MSS.

Seeing passenger records being set like this gives hope that this could become a reality sooner than we think.

From the Fredericksburg Free Lance Star (via Axios Richmond):

https://fredericksburg.com/news/local/getting-there-virginia-train-travel-increases/article_3ac8bf7e-fbf6-11ed-9c0d-db775325e44e.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

• Like 3

From the fine folks on RVA/Reddit: A Richmond redditor's concept of a completely built-out PULSE BRT "Metro" system. I SO LOVE this concept. Friends, this is what we should ultimately be aiming for. It's certainly unique from a design standpoint in that while the orange line goes to/through Midlothian and terminates just outside the 288 beltway, it follows a route that takes it through Bon Air and crosses the river via the Huguenot Bridge, picking up U.S. 60 only at Chesterfield Towne Center. VERY interesting that it completely cuts off the entire stretch of Midlothian Turnpike from CTC into the city.

Also -note, there is no Lee Bridge crossing - rather, the red line that connects the north/south lines from Ashland to Petersburg crosses the river via the Manchester Bridge - with two lines crossing via the 14th Street Bridge. (Good that Manchester gets plenty of coverage!)

I LOVE the idea of three lines (Orange, Purple, Yellow) sharing Broad Street from the Convention Center east, routing (I'm guessing via 14th Street) to Shockoe Bottom (GOTTA get rid of that damn decorative planter median along that stretch of Broad), and FIVE lines (Blue, Green, Orange, Purple, Yellow) converging at Main Street Station. Plus when fully extended, TWO lines go to the airport (Purple, Yellow), and system terminuses (termini?) in Ashland, Hanover Village, Midlothian, Moseley, Petersburg, Sandston, Short Pump, and West Creek.

I KNOW damn well that at the age of 60 the likelihood of my living long to see this is probably pretty slim. But MAN - THIS is what I'm talking about. 

Gotta dream big and reach for the stars sometimes. If you don't swing for the fences, you're limited to double-play grounders and (at best) singles.

From our friends at RVA/Reddit:

CONCEPTUAL RVA PULSE BRT "METRO" SYSTEM

metromapmaker.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Axios Richmond is reporting today some not-surprising and rather disappointing news: PlanRVA is recommending that the current PULSE BRT line be expanded west ONLY to Parham Road and NOT taken all the way to Short Pump (despite apparently strong public support (according to their own surveys) for extension of the line to Short Pump). I have many reasons for disagreeing with their recommendation (particularly related to demand vs cost), rooted in some basics of solid urbanology - but PlanRVA does raise very good points about the county itself NOT having a good pedestrian-friendly infrastructure in place between Willow Lawn and Short Pump. Some key takeaways that are spot-on:

🚸 Of note: The study says that even for an extension to Parham Road to be successful, the county would need to install basic pedestrian infrastructure along most of the route so passengers can safely navigate from bus stops to their final destinations.

• Among other things, it noted that between Glenside Drive and Parham Road, only one intersection includes a crosswalk, per the study.

Details: "Because of how the West Broad Street corridor was built out 50-plus years ago, it has been largely auto centric," Dan Motta, a transportation planner at Plan RVA, told VPM News.

• "So, things like sidewalks, crosswalks, and for transit, bus shelters, benches, even things like trash cans have not really been prioritized in the past."

While I disagree with their final recommendation, I do applaud PlanRva's outstanding work in putting together this analysis. 

From today's Axios Richmond:

https://www.axios.com/local/richmond/2023/06/13/richmond-pulse-bus-extension-short-pump

You can read the West Broad BRT analysis prepared by PlanRVA here:

https://planrva.org/wp-content/uploads/West-Broad-BRT-Corridor-Analysis_FINAL.pdf

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

While I do think that the BRT should eventually be extended to Short Pump, I think even extending it to Parham will be an undertaking as long as it’s done correctly.

First, they have to have dedicated lanes, otherwise there’s no advantage to it over regular bus service. There are definitely enough current lanes and enough right of way to where it shouldn’t be a problem to give the BRT dedicated lanes.

Second, West Broad would need to undergo a serious rehab, through the addition of sidewalks or multiuse paths on both sides of the road, as well as crosswalks and “beg buttons” at each intersection, especially near the BRT stations. Without pedestrian improvements, the whole point of the BRT goes away as no one will drive, park, then ride the brt in. While this will lead to increased costs, it is necessary in terms of pedestrian safety along West Broad and for the success of the BRT should it get expanded.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blopp1234 said:

While I do think that the BRT should eventually be extended to Short Pump, I think even extending it to Parham will be an undertaking as long as it’s done correctly.

First, they have to have dedicated lanes, otherwise there’s no advantage to it over regular bus service. There are definitely enough current lanes and enough right of way to where it shouldn’t be a problem to give the BRT dedicated lanes.

Second, West Broad would need to undergo a serious rehab, through the addition of sidewalks or multiuse paths on both sides of the road, as well as crosswalks and “beg buttons” at each intersection, especially near the BRT stations. Without pedestrian improvements, the whole point of the BRT goes away as no one will drive, park, then ride the brt in. While this will lead to increased costs, it is necessary in terms of pedestrian safety along West Broad and for the success of the BRT should it get expanded.

image.jpeg.a660a369082fce534d3f7b6b6e960d03.jpeg on all points, @blopp1234 Unfortunately, the county is grossly ill-prepared for BRT service (they're barely prepared for local bus service along that W. Broad Street corridor). 

Has anyone else noticed this: that it seems that in many other metropolitan areas, the suburban street & sidewalk infrastructure is MUCH more robustly built out than they are in the suburbs surrounding Richmond. It's something that I have noticed in my travels over the decades - and I've been hoping that would have changed in metro Richmond by now. Apparently it hasn't.

Edited by I miss RVA

1 hour ago, blopp1234 said:

Enough lanes, yes, but the ideal placement is median-running (which at least would avoid complications with "548 driveways, side streets, intersections, ramps, and other major curb cuts along the corridor"!) -- yet how are they gonna safely get pedestrians there? The report notes that the study area has all of 2 completed crosswalks across Broad Street. As you note, the need for pedestrian-friendly infrastructure is rampant. Also, there's a need for a culture change. This is an area where there's lots of aggressive driving, and speeds can far exceed 45 mph. It's big news (and should be!) when a Pulse bus hits a pedestrian downtown, and that's in a low-speed limit area. I kind of shudder of the possibility for something even worse on a new, less dense segment of Broad.

Also, some things in this report seem kind of pie-in-the-sky. For example, the suggestion that GRTC partner with private entities for park-and-ride options. If that were a realistic possibility, wouldn't we have already seen it at the Willow Lawn terminus station? Instead, dozens of "No Commuter Parking" signs went up in WL's lots the week Pulse came online.

I'm in favor -- we need more public transit! -- but there are some real hurdles.

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Has anyone else noticed this: that it seems that in many other metropolitan areas, the suburban street & sidewalk infrastructure is MUCH more robustly built out than they are in the suburbs surrounding Richmond.

Kind of, sort of. Speaking generally, in my travels, there are better pedestrian services in tightly-packed northeastern areas, and everything else is a mixed bag.

The peculiar issue here is that I'm not sure the optimal place for BRT is a "stroad" like West Broad, but maybe I'm wrong about that. There is BRT up around Potomac Yard, for instance.

Edited by Flood Zone
  • Like 1

Henrico has been pretty aggressive about building sidewalks along Broad Street recently.    They haven’t been built with high volumes of pedestrian activity in mind per se (no benches, no crosswalks, no trash cans) but they are building them nonetheless.  

For the most part they seem to be connecting the existing sidewalks to nowhere that new developments have been installing at the front of their properties over the last 20 plus years.  West Broad Village to Parham is pretty much connected now, for example.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Flood Zone said:

Enough lanes, yes, but the ideal placement is median-running (which at least would avoid complications with "548 driveways, side streets, intersections, ramps, and other major curb cuts along the corridor"!) -- yet how are they gonna safely get pedestrians there? The report notes that the study area has all of 2 completed crosswalks across Broad Street. As you note, the need for pedestrian-friendly infrastructure is rampant. Also, there's a need for a culture change. This is an area where there's lots of aggressive driving, and speeds can far exceed 45 mph. It's big news (and should be!) when a Pulse bus hits a pedestrian downtown, and that's in a low-speed limit area. I kind of shudder of the possibility for something even worse on a new, less dense segment of Broad.

Also, some things in this report seem kind of pie-in-the-sky. For example, the suggestion that GRTC partner with private entities for park-and-ride options. If that were a realistic possibility, wouldn't we have already seen it at the Willow Lawn terminus station? Instead, dozens of "No Commuter Parking" signs went up in WL's lots the week Pulse came online.

I'm in favor -- we need more public transit! -- but there are some real hurdles.

Kind of, sort of. Speaking generally, in my travels, there are better pedestrian services in tightly-packed northeastern areas, and everything else is a mixed bag.

The peculiar issue here is that I'm not sure the optimal place for BRT is a "stroad" like West Broad, but maybe I'm wrong about that. There is BRT up around Potomac Yard, for instance.

image.jpeg.732afa361b1f092242f44e4511fb5c98.jpeg!!!

1.) Exactly - center-median placement is the ideal for a BRT line. Unfortunately, in a lot of suburban communities -- particularly where BRTs have been installed on 'stroads' (suburbs of Las Vegas a primary example) they're all curbside. All the driveways, side streets - lack of crosswalks - a real nightmare for pedestrian/passenger safety, no question.

2.) Particularly in the Northeast and upper Midwest (and metro Chicagoland is a classic example of this) SO many suburbs aren't merely county areas that just happen to have urbanized. Rather, they are incorporated cities/towns, often that bump up one against the other - and the inner-most of these abut the actual main major city. (Evanston, for example, is on the actual far northernmost border of the city of Chicago). Richmond has NONE of these - mainly because these are VERY new suburbs that have really only been urbanizing and densifying in earnest over the past 20-30-40 years AT MOST. (Some older 'burbs were in place, obviously, 50-plus years ago - but it's only been of more recent decades where Henrico and Chesterfield's populations have grown SO large and done so rather quickly). It's not like Petersburg - an incorporated city - or Ashland - an incorporated town - actually abuts the border of Richmond. And even places like Midlothian, Mechanicsville, Short Pump, Sandston, etc. aren't "incorporated" in the way we'd think of Ashland being incorporated. (Or, say, Lincolnwood, Skokie, Evanston, etc., in metro Chicago). THAT by itself - and the "newness" of the high-growth suburbs around Richmond - make a HUGE difference in accounting for the relative LACK of viable street and sidewalk infrastructure.

3.)Stroads are a HUGE challenge for urban planners because more often than not, they tend to be legacy arteries that have taken on a life of their own over the past however many decades, in localities that are car-centric to the point that residents have their car's steering wheels surgically attached to their hands. That said, BRT (or even rail, for that matter) tends to be treated and looked upon in these suburban locations as "bolt-ons" - or "overlays" - that are "in addition" to the "primary" mode of transport - which is, one person, one car. It sucks - but as Tony Soprano would say - "whaddyagonnado?"

Broad Street is but one such legacy stroad that will cause tremendous headaches for GRTC. Midlothian Turnpike, Hull Street Road, Brook Road/Route 1, the Pike/Route 1/301, ALL are classic legacy stroads outside the city limits - and Midlo and Hull Street Road are stroads even INSIDE the city limits after a certain point.

The stroad issue is going to be a VERY tough nut for GRTC to crack, no question about it - particularly with the almost total absence of solid, viable, street and sidewalk infrastructure in both Henrico and Chesterfield counties.

Edited by I miss RVA

2 hours ago, Hike said:

Like you mention, lots of sidewalks being installed, also saw these today on Broad in short pump, can’t remember exactly where, there were 2 of them. Must be recent, hadn’t noticed them until today, the article was from January this year that announced the funds.

https://www.wric.com/news/local-news/henrico-county/henrico-county-receives-1-275-million-to-improve-bus-stops/

IMG_0087.jpeg

REALLY good stuff! I'm hopeful that the more that locations like Innsbrook and Short Pump legitimately urbanize and densify, the more common this kind of infrastructure will become. It's greatly needed in the suburbs.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

They want to extend it to Parham, maybe I missed it, but how many stops along the way? One at Libbie? Glenside? Or just the one at Parham?

Unfortunately doesn't look like there's anywhere to put a parking lot at Parham.

I scanned the report - and it doesn't appear to specify an actual number or location of stations. About the deepest it goes into something more specific is three locations for route termini - Wistar, Glenside and Parham. No idea though what the mindset is as far as specific station locations.

Edited by I miss RVA

I think the intersection of Hungary springs and broad would be a good spot too. It’s the corner where the Honda house dirt bike store is and the two gas stations on the corner where skipwith and broad meets on the other side. Always someone walking around that area. I would definitely have one at that intersection for a stop on the pulse line. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brent114 said:

Not to get too off of topic but that street would be a good place for some “town” development.   Throw up some period lampposts, brick sidewalks and build high density housing with first floor retail  out to the sidewalk.   Easy peasy. 

image.jpeg.a752948908b17e6ddb6f3e92b51f5218.jpeg!!!  Love the idea, @Brent114-- would love to see that come to pass.

What's the street-lighting situation in suburbia like these days? From what I remember (and kids, it's been 22 years in the rearview mirror for me) - the counties were somewhat anathema to the widespread usage of street lights -- obviously in the quiet residential subdivisions - but if I recall, even higher-traffic streets/roads/stroads (like W. Broad Street, Midlo, Hull Street Road, etc.) all saw a definite line of demarcation at the city county line where street lighting simply began and ended -- which is definitely NOT something you see around, say, metropolitan D.C. or Baltimore and certainly not here in Chicagoland.

Is it safe to guess that as areas have been densifying - and as former office campuses have been shifting over to higher-density residential/mixed use development (particularly those where new streets are being included in the development) - that these "urban islands" are being put together complete with proper street lighting in those denser areas?

What's the state of play (both current and going forward) when it comes to street lighting in suburban Richmond?

Edited by I miss RVA