Richmond Region Transportation

wrldcoupe4

This is probably of limited importance, but Chesterfield County seems to have updated its Powhite Parkway Extension webpage fairly recently. Although the page breaks down the extension in the familiar Phase I and Phase II terms, the page used to emphasize (in italics) that Phase II was conceptual only. It still refers to Phase II as conceptual (no italics), adding there is no funding for it at this time, but now there is more information about the concept. Plus, the page notes that design work on Phase I is underway, a review pursuant to NEPA will be conducted, etc.

Edited by Flood Zone
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, eandslee said:

I also read that it will take 5-15 years to build out the entire north-south routed Pulse in today’s RTD article with a similar title. 

Here's hoping it doesn't take anywhere close to that long. Doesn't conventional wisdom check in (based on what we know) at about eight years?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

GRTC has kicked off the expansion of the route 1A deep into Chesterfield, according to reporting in the Richmond Times-Dispatch. The eight-mile extension has 27 stops along Midlothian Turnpike, and the western-most terminus is at the Walmart/Sam's Club on Walmart Way, just under a mile west of Chesterfield Towne Center. Service will be every 30 minutes until 7 p.m.

This is VERY exciting and encouraging, particularly as GRTC and CVTA continue working toward full development and construction of the north/south PULSE line that will also travel along Midlothian Turnpike with a terminus at Chesterfield Towne Center. I'll be interested to see if the 1A route gets extended further to go all the way to Midlothian, particularly once the PULSE line gets underway. Once we have the PULSE up and running, GRTC service along Midlo will essentially mirror service along West Broad (particularly when the Broad Street line is extended to Parham Road) - in which both PULSE and local service will be available along the route.

From today's Richmond Times-Dispatch:

GRTC celebrates 8-mile Chesterfield expansion (richmond.com)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I just want to say what a wonderful service we have in RVA with the buses. I have been taking Cary and Main st lines for work this month and it's been easy and enjoyable. Bus has been generally 50% to 90% full. Really great stuff. 

One of the things that convinced me to take the bus was that it is free. I think the old payment/ticket part of taking the bus is what is confusing to so many people like me and it's just not worth the hassle. Knowing that it was "hop on hop off" free service allowed me to use it on a whim. Also, I've gotten on the wrong bus a few times (only) and it was nice not having to waste money b/c of it. 

I'm sure the bus services being free has exponentially improved other peoples' lives that are on limited budget but for a middle class guy like me it has also had benefits. 

I encourage everyone to take the bus or at least give it a try. If I can do it in the winter then anyone can - I hate the cold! I never realized how stressed I was driving to work every morning... the bus has taken that stress away and I don't have to worry or pay for parking any longer!

I completely agree, @ancientcarpenterre: taking the bus. Outside of the occasional Uber when absolutely necessary, I take the bus (and the "L") here in Chicago everywhere. I haven't driven or owned a car in almost nine years now - almost all of my transportation is on CTA.

Loving what's going on with GRTC - it's always had this kind of awesome potential - and it's very gratifying to see it finally beginning to live up to that potential. I still wish we had some form of streetcar service in place - it could so easily be transformed into the new-style urban light rail systems that are popping up in cities all over the world. In the U.S. - the place that most readily comes to mind is Portland. It honestly would be so amazing to still have in-town rail service - just updated for modern trackage/electrical and rolling stock.

Still - GRTC is doing a fantastic job - and my hat is off to all of the agencies, whether state, federal and/or local who have been providing sufficient funds to allow GRTC to remain fare-free. I honestly hope and pray that continues because the service a well-developed, well-integrated-into-the-fabric-of-a-region mass transit system provides is absolutely invaluable.

Is the current funding good through the end of the 2024 calendar year or the end of the fiscal year? And I wonder if more funding might be made available to keep the fare-free program going?

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Is the current funding good through the end of the 2024 calendar year or the end of the fiscal year?

The reporting from a year or so ago was free through June 2024. However, the GRTC page says free "until further notice." Whether that represents a substantive change in things, I don't know.

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

The reporting from a year or so ago was free through June 2024. However, the GRTC page says free "until further notice." Whether that represents a substantive change in things, I don't know.

Good to know. Hopefully additional funding rolls in - and soon. It would be good to keep the bus system humming along and fare-free.

• Like 1

Following on the heels of the NY Times article featuring Richmond and the PULSE line, the editorial board of the Times-Dispatch in late December crafted an outstanding piece that's part editorial, part news story, singing the praises of the resurgence of GRTC, the potential for a truly regional mass transit system, and calling for the free-fare program to become a permanent fixture. Really good article - and very much worth taking a few minutes to read.

From the December 28th editions of the Richmond Times-Dispatch:

https://richmond.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-a-truly-regional-transit-system-is-finally-within-reach-but-only-with-zero-fares/article_fe674b76-a4e8-11ee-aff9-63cd22f30adc.html

• Like 3

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/01/26/grtcs-shortlist-for-new-transfer-station-includes-public-safety-building-site/

GRTC considering Public Safety Building site for permanent transfer plaza. Also considering the newly empty Dominion tower site. Ew.  Seems perfect where it is especially given the new N/S BRT route, just built it out more.

Edited by 123fakestreet
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

If they choose the empty Dominion tower site, that would be a disaster. We need 7th and 8th down there to be free of impediments, especially when the GA is in session.

I think it depends on their design. I think if they did something similar to a taller version of Raleigh’s under construction RUS Bus tower would be a good addition, but I do agree that a surface transfer station with nothing else would be a real disappointment, especially if they chose the empty dominion tower site. 

• Like 3

I’m just excited to hear that they want the transfer station to be a part of a lager mixed-use development!  I’ve always envisioned the bus transfer station on the ground level of a 30+-story mixed-use tower.  Sounds like they didn’t talk about how big the mixed-use development would be, but it has the potential to be huge!  When you consider retail, residential, a hotel, office space…depending on how much of each component is included, it could be a significant structure.  Mixed use also just makes sense. You’ll want a variety of “destinations” right there where there should be a lot of people to help buoy the transfer station.  It should be the center of much activity and movement.  The only thing I’m a bit worried about in their plan so far is that they are only looking at 10 bays.  Seems a bit small considering the Pulse N/S route could be going through there, plus any room for expansion.  Build it for the future!  It wouldn’t take that much to add 5-8 more stalls to account for future growth.  I would just hate to see it obsolete shortly after it is built. 

• Like 3