Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

So I'm digging all the new beer loving restaurants coming to Plaza Midwood (Pizza Peel and Central Pint), but I just don't understand how Central Ave between Pecan and Thomas has avoided all these new developments? Other than 22 and Soul, which are relatively new and successful, and Novas which seems busy, I have no idea how some of those businesses make enough money to keep their doors open. I guess I'm curious to hear what people think of that strip on Central Ave between Pecan and Thomas.

I frequent the antique shops there actually, lots of interesting finds, and the head shop, buffalo exchange, and hong kong seem to be doing quite well. I love Jamaican food so I can't believe I haven't tried that restaurant yet...anyway all in all I love that strip, its one of the few urban retail areas in Charlotte that doesn't have to ALL be bars and restaurants! 

Too bad we'll lose that great graffiti mural on the side of that warehouse, but I guess thats not a great rationale for saving an otherwise bland building, haha. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I frequent the antique shops there actually, lots of interesting finds, and the head shop, buffalo exchange, and hong kong seem to be doing quite well. I love Jamaican food so I can't believe I haven't tried that restaurant yet...anyway all in all I love that strip, its one of the few urban retail areas in Charlotte that doesn't have to ALL be bars and restaurants! 

Too bad we'll lose that great graffiti mural on the side of that warehouse, but I guess thats not a great rationale for saving an otherwise bland building, haha. 

There is a great Black Box theatre back there, that i went to some plays at when I was in high school. You wouldn't even know its there. Hey, maybe they will keep the graffiti wall. 

There was a rezoing sign up in the area recently indicating that the were abanonding a street right-of-way. I assumed it was an ally and apparently it was for this project.

Next up for Plaza Midwood is Clement Avenue Apartments, Small infill much like the nook, and I suspect it will move forward as quietly as the Nook did. It is being designed by Overcash Demmitt Architects. They are responsible for Ayersly, the new Embassy Suites downtown, Red Ventures, Providence Plaza, and many others. I'll keep bothering the people at ODA until I can squeeze some more information out of them.

And in much grander scale, at the northwest corner of Cental and Clement, extending between the RR tracks and Clement is a 200 unit apartment building (4 stories of apartments over 2 stories of parking) with ground floor retail, which a 2nd phase of more apartments an option on the site.

Not sure who the developer is, this was just listed today on the ACCELA land development website.

And in much grander scale, at the northwest corner of Cental and Clement, extending between the RR tracks and Clement is a 200 unit apartment building (4 stories of apartments over 2 stories of parking) with ground floor retail, which a 2nd phase of more apartments an option on the site.

Not sure who the developer is, this was just listed today on the ACCELA land development website.

So bye bye to that strip of retail there?

Not a huge loss IMO. Would rather see the parking lot in the Family Dollar strip mall torn up and replaced with apartments though.

Really wish the street car extended down to the heart of P-M.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I could see Plaza Midwood Rivaling SouthEnd in a few years if they just extended the line to at least Morningside Village. Imagine what a catalyst that would be for Morningside!

Not a huge loss IMO. Would rather see the parking lot in the Family Dollar strip mall torn up and replaced with apartments though.

Really wish the street car extended down to the heart of P-M.

It would be a shame to lose Fern, and to a lesser extent the Garden Center, but hopefully they could find space nearby. As long as this new development includes PLENTY of retail fronting Central (there's now way it wouldn't right?) it will be good to get some more urban streetscape all the way up to the railroad tracks, since that seems like quite a gap right now.

It would be a shame to lose Fern, and to a lesser extent the Garden Center, but hopefully they could find space nearby. As long as this new development includes PLENTY of retail fronting Central (there's now way it wouldn't right?) it will be good to get some more urban streetscape all the way up to the railroad tracks, since that seems like quite a gap right now.

I would think that there would be AT LEAST as much retail as is being lost to the apartments. That would be my hope at least. 

I'm really looking forward to watching the Central Avenue Area mature into a great urban neighborhood. I would say of all the Urban Neighborhoods in Charlotte, it probably has the most potential.  
• It has a great stock of historical housing
• Has a GREAT grocery store
• A very interesting urban stroll district
• Central Avenue is not quite as dangerous as South BLVD for Pedestrians (although still pretty bad)
• property values are relatively cheap/stabilized
• there is a huge population of people that accept an urban lifestyle
• and there is tons of space for expansion.

South End has most of these things too, but its a vast area, with little connectivity. 

Noda has tons of potential, but just doesn't have the space. 

As long as this new development includes PLENTY of retail fronting Central (there's now way it wouldn't right?) it will be good to get some more urban streetscape all the way up to the railroad tracks, since that seems like quite a gap right now.

The PED zoning overlay was amended a year or two ago, such that any street frontage along a thoroughfare must now include some retail.  Hence, Central Avenue must have retail on the ground floor.  A side street like Clement Avenue can settle for residential porches and/or architectural screening.  No street, thoroughfare or local, can have parking that lacks screening.  Thus, this site should ideally place its parking deck along the railroad and/or the back property line shared with Barnhardt Manufacturing Company.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I could see Plaza Midwood Rivaling SouthEnd in a few years if they just extended the line to at least Morningside Village. Imagine what a catalyst that would be for Morningside!

I wish they'd move the army reserve post somewhere.  The only thing I didn't like about the failed Morningside plan was the location of the shopping/business district, it should have been on or just off of Central, but the only way to do that would be to move the post somewhere else, which probably isn't feasible.

Edited by DEnd

This article seems to contain inaccuracies that are refuted in the comments section regarding the reason why the fence is up.  It seems that it is more of an attempt to force the business out - but as Hatcher hasn't commented yet - perhaps we don't have all the facts.

Anyway - also in the comments section is mention of apartment that are slated for the corner where the church is now.  I know that the apartments both on Clement and on Clement & Central have been discussed here, but does anyone know about these at Central and Hawthorne? I am a little concerned about the number of apartment that are proposed.

Edited by charlottegirl

The possibility of apartments where that church is now were discussed on here at one point. Not sure if anything was ever confirmed. The RW that posted that comment is not me, but I'm guessing they probably read something about it on here because  I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

P-M is a desirable neighborhood that has relatively few apartments. The Edison is pretty much full and the Nook will likely fill up really quickly as well since it is reasonably priced and small in size. I think the neighborhood can probably absorb quite a bit of apartments if they are reasonably priced. If they're throwing up hundreds of  "luxury" apartments, then yeah, there might be a problem. 

I personally won't really be terribly sad if the Thirsty Beaver is forced out. I went there a few times and didn't care for it at all. That whole stretch is bad. I'd love to see the church preserved and turned into something useful, but the rest is very replaceable. 

I'd love to see the Beaver hold out, if only on principle.  Just build around them, like Batteries Not Included.

Besides, if John Hatcher can't redevelop the even larger parcel (Family Dollar) catty-corner from this one, how will his consolidated ownership really help redevelopment?  Hatcher is like the Daniel Levine of Plaza.  Old money, lots of land, but no follow-through.

Alternately, maybe the experience he gains from selling and developing that land will help him see the potential of the Family Dollar shopping center.

Thirsty Beaver is an interesting business, but it is really nothing so special that it could not really easily relocate to countless other sites in the area.  I would far rather have the block developed as a large midrise project than to retain one dive bar.   I didn't realize he owned virtually the entire triangular block from Hawthorne to CSX to Central, including the old church on the corner, which I would not like to see go at all.

The whole premise of the billion dollar capital program just rolled out is to spur as much urban densification and redevelopment as possible.  This block is on the streetcar line, even within the station radius of the 4 mile line submitted for federal funding.   It is absolutely the type of block that should be redeveloped rather than remain gravel parking lots and cinder block dive bars.  

It will be funny though if they remain fenced in and built around like this:

http://polaris.mecklenburgcountync.gov/website/redesign/viewer.htm?Service=RealEstate&OVMap=overview&ActiveLayer=44&Query=TAX.TAXDW.PARCEL_P.OBJECTID=258873&QueryZoom=Yes&RELookup=Yes