Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know how the Nook is looking these days?

Brick facade is up on front. The wood paneling is going up on the sides now. It's brown/tan at the moment, but will repainted red. It will probably look almost 100% on the exterior within a month if the weather cooperates. Figure it is still several months from actually opening though.

Bottom floor does not yet have windows/doors, but the rest of the windows are in. Balconies still need railings.

Edited by rworkman09

Brick facade is up on front. The wood paneling is going up on the sides now. It's brown/tan at the moment, but will repainted red. It will probably look almost 100% on the exterior within a month if the weather cooperates. Figure it is still several months from actually opening though.

Bottom floor does not yet have windows/doors, but the rest of the windows are in. Balconies still need railings.

I heard from the Guy (A UP Poster) who is marketing the Property itself that the ground level retail in the project has been Leased, but the Tenant is still under wraps.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what is going to happen to the Kelly Tire lot accross from Zada Janes? Big sign out front says they're moving. Really hoping for a cool new restaurant.

Has anyone heard where Free Range Brewing might land in Plaza Midwood? The old Brodt Music building sure would be a nice location.

Anyone know what is going to happen to the Kelly Tire lot accross from Zada Janes? Big sign out front says they're moving. Really hoping for a cool new restaurant.

Has anyone heard where Free Range Brewing might land in Plaza Midwood? The old Brodt Music building sure would be a nice location.

I hope it gets torn down and we get another infill residential development with some street level retail like the Nook. I hope someone doesn't turn that eyesore into anything.

I hope it gets torn down and we get another infill residential development with some street level retail like the Nook. I hope someone doesn't turn that eyesore into anything.

You mean Kelly Tire not Brodt right? I would be fine with a denser building there but I would also be fine with it getting re-used, even something that basic COULD be cool if they are ambitious enough. I think I'd rather see the vacant lots to either side of the PM core host more infill buildings with retail like the Nook, peppered with weird 1-2-story re-used buildings in classic PM fashion. 

You mean Kelly Tire not Brodt right? I would be fine with a denser building there but I would also be fine with it getting re-used, even something that basic COULD be cool if they are ambitious enough. I think I'd rather see the vacant lots to either side of the PM core host more infill buildings with retail like the Nook, peppered with weird 1-2-story re-used buildings in classic PM fashion. 

Yes, Kelly Tire.

I'd like to see Brodt remain. It's a big building (I believe 17,000SF), so there could be some great potential there.

I'd really like to see the city build a parking deck in P-M. Putting it in the Family Dollar parking lot would be nice. That would then allow that parking lot to be divided up into other parcels that could be developed into housing / retail. That shopping center is the biggest blight on the area.

As the underground deck plans at First Ward park show, it is a very high cost, like 3x the cost to do it subterranean.   The price point that people in Plaza-Midwood want to pay for parking is roughly $0.00.   That makes it very difficult to fund the taking of land from a business (they'll charge you handily for the disruption), and then build an expensive underground deck just to end up charging customers $0.  

The real case initially is for the city to broker deals whereby the public or the neighborhood will pay the extra insurance to allow for free use of their spaces after business hours for the spurring of nightlife activities.  For the most part, it is allowed, but there is often a rush to catch a car before towing.   

Then there was some public outcry when Peculiar Rabbit worked a deal with Junior League to use their lot after hours, with the only requirement being to buy $5 worth of food/drink at PR.  People hated the idea.

That is great news about Kelly Tire.  I've heard it is a great business but I would think it could utilize land in another location in Plaza Midwood.  Hopefully it doesn't move too far away.  I actually like the Pizza Peel, so I think it would be a good addition.  This area is really booming right now.

Does anyone know what is going up on the NE corner of Central and Merry Oaks?  It looks like a few houses were taken down and a very large lot was leveled.  There is also some pretty heavy infrastructure going in as well.

Also, are there any updates on the former Morningside Village site?  If my memory serves me, it is currently owned by a BofA sub that foreclosed on it about 2 years ago.  Have there been any proposed developments of that area?  

Next up for Plaza Midwood is Clement Avenue Apartments, Small infill much like the nook, and I suspect it will move forward as quietly as the Nook did. It is being designed by Overcash Demmitt Architects. They are responsible for Ayersly, the new Embassy Suites downtown, Red Ventures, Providence Plaza, and many others. I'll keep bothering the people at ODA until I can squeeze some more information out of them.

Interesting.  How far up Clement?   Will it be on some of the warehouse land or taking out nice old houses?

It'll be on the lot directly behind mid wood smokehouse. I'll see if I can pull it up on GIS later.

So I'm digging all the new beer loving restaurants coming to Plaza Midwood (Pizza Peel and Central Pint), but I just don't understand how Central Ave between Pecan and Thomas has avoided all these new developments? Other than 22 and Soul, which are relatively new and successful, and Novas which seems busy, I have no idea how some of those businesses make enough money to keep their doors open. I guess I'm curious to hear what people think of that strip on Central Ave between Pecan and Thomas.