Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, AltNative said:

do we hate the DFA building? Because I LOVE that building. Its one of the best looking buildings in the city  bar none

I don't hate the building.  It's actually quite nice.  My issue is that the old CM, Black Sheep, etc buildings had a more textural and warm feel.  The block felt like it was more a part of a neighborhood.  What is there now is so bland, stark, cold, and soulless IMHO.  Maybe it's just me but it seems like a spot that never has any warm bodies hanging around.  Sure, it's a nice structure, but to me it has a very diminished sense of place now and despite what was told to the public before construction began I don't think they made even the slightest attempt to contribute to the feel of the surrounding neighborhood.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, SpiritOf76 said:

So this means we could potentially lose some of the buildings on this strip? It is huge in terms of whatever identity remains. Would they tear down the edison as well and build taller? I always thought from edison to the plaza as having a friendly neighborhood vibe with some history and identity.  Whenever i walk by I always envision (although not sure it could happen) some smaller buildings built against Independence in that back area.. like a sub neighborhood with small scale bars /shops interconnected within that back area. Truly intimate area within the hard borders of independence and commonwealth ave. Maybe close that dead end part of the plaza, hang some string lights, have a local bar back that way and create a more intimate, small scale experience for the neighborhood... I just see this strip as having potential for small scale, intimate development to further strengthen the overall neighborhood as a whole. I think alleyways and businesses hidden away back there as an interesting concept to draw people in...

You all bring up great points. I am not sure yet if White Point is anticipating a big new project or thoughtful adaptive reuse. They did a killer job with Optimist Hall and maybe could do something cool that integrates all those old low rise buildings that house Legion, Okra, Undercurrent, etc. There is also a surprising amount of vacant land between those buildings and independence that is underutilized, though I’m not sure if they own all the way to the NCDOT right of way. Will be one of the more valuable, prominent parcels in the city when the Silver Line station is put there at some point.

But 100% agree that it will be important for whatever comes to be very thoughtfully planned out!

• Like 4

18 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Had lunch in Plaza Midwood and here are shots from Commonwealth and the new townhomes at Van Landingham Estate.  Plus some new ones by UM .  Okay the last photos are Villa Heights I guess.; 

20231013_124629.jpg

@KJHburg Where are these exactly?  I can't place them.  They look like they're at least a couple years old I guess.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

Central Avenue, between Prospect Street and Louise Avenue, will be reduced to one lane in each direction for the next couple of months. This is because the overhead lines are planned to be buried:

What!  I'm not even sure which of those is more surprising!

On 11/23/2023 at 7:59 AM, Matthew.Brendan said:

Would love to know how that came about. Because it needs to be replicated all over the city. 

On 11/25/2023 at 7:15 AM, RANYC said:

Holy hell, how did this happen and how can it happen more often?

Another article seems to indicate high rates of automobile crashes into utility lines as the main factor for the burial project. 

https://www.wcnc.com/article/traffic/central-ave-construction-wires/275-212258e5-8d71-4626-b7be-a6dbc753af77?fbclid=IwAR3YXfZTnGJLIiL4aUFO07aUYm3Y66uL3ZwqsJmttS-HHbTxEEE_tI4MjRs_aem_AXuQp8pgrUMP8aHYtFEtcCPwm5Kykv7yVteklxs1SVGsFQ6grb0W9LM7nstaiUUDyfg#lphrirv8lnnxxu9po48

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Third Strike said:

We'll do anything but fix the problem.