Plaza-Midwood Projects (Central, Commonwealth, The Plaza)

Seeker

New apartment complex maybe coming to the Skyla Credit union site.

from the Biz Journal:

""California developer Republic Metropolitan has plans for a new apartment community near Plaza Midwood.

Republic filed a petition with the city of Charlotte on Tuesday to rezone seven parcels across 2.8 acres, including 718 Central Ave., the current headquarters of Skyla Credit Union. According to the site plan, the San Francisco-based developer wants to build a multifamily community that would include up to 365 units and up to 5,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space. The maximum building height for the area is 85 feet.""

Republic Metropolitan seeks rezoning for Central Avenue property - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two houses on that site are from 1910 and are both in great condition. I think a plan like below could be great. 3 story Townhomes in blue, 7 story apartment building in orange.

(Apologies for crude phone drawing)

IMG_7431.jpeg

Edited by MothBeast

We have got to get away from large block apartment developments. Small to Medium incremental apartments create just as much density and still fit in with the surrounding community.  Second, it is unfortunate that most of the new and existing apartment developments in the plaza area are surrounded by excessively noisy and polluting highways. 

15 hours ago, KJHburg said:

According to the site plan, the San Francisco-based developer wants to build a multifamily community that would include up to 365 units and up to 5,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space. The maximum building height for the area is 85 feet.""

I hate that I sound like a NIMBY here but damn that is a lot of people that are going to be driving to the one grocery store in plaza midwood. Hopefully, we get business that will open to support all the new homes going in, but nothing about this area is friendly to walking. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

Here you go.

PNG image.jpeg

I just don’t understand why the houses have to go. I’m no NIMBY but those are some of the oldest most beautiful homes in Elizabeth. Bummer.

Fun fact: adjacent to this site is the old Sunnyside Rose Garden (much reduced in size after the construction of independence), which is deed restricted for only white residents. Wouldn’t hold up in court today of course, but if any persons of color want some 100 year dead white folk to roll in their graves I recommend a spiteful visit.

Edited by MothBeast

All of the 1890-1920's properties in Dilworth had that same clause in the deeds. Other neighborhoods from that era as well. Maids came in the back door and only white guests in the front. Residents of the white race only. Standard stuff and a lesson in our history. Unenforceable today but it continues to travel with the deed. Anyone know how it could be excised from the deed(s)

23 minutes ago, videtur quam contuor said:

All of the 1890-1920's properties in Dilworth had that same clause in the deeds. Other neighborhoods from that era as well. Maids came in the back door and only white guests in the front. Residents of the white race only. Standard stuff and a lesson in our history. Unenforceable today but it continues to travel with the deed. Anyone know how it could be excised from the deed(s)

I only work adjacent to real estate but from what I’ve heard it would require a tedious process but is very doable. The only thing is that it would almost certainly make headlines if it was revealed that what is feasibly a city owned park only allows white people (technically). That’s why the city just mows it and pretends it doesn’t exist, let’s the neighbors tend to it’s gardens electively. I’m interested to see if that changes with this adjacent property being redeveloped.

Edit: I may be remembering incorrectly but I believe the old man who lives in the Sunnyside home set for demo tends the garden mostly. I assume he rents.  

Edited by MothBeast

The first home example is Queen Anne architectural style. Not the same as England Queen Anne which is different style. Queen Anne was popular in US and Charlotte in late 19th century. Some of the oldest homes on Kingston and Park in Dilworth express this style. It includes elements of other styles in a mix that often has a wrap porch. One floor or more.

Second is American Four Square carpenter style. Simple and symmetrical in dimensions and appearance. Always two story. An accomplished carpenter could design and build this house on site as the elements simplify the engineering necessary. These are also seen in Fourth Ward and other older neighborhoods from the late 1800's to early 1900's

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, videtur quam contuor said:

The first home example is Queen Anne architectural style. Not the same as England Queen Anne which is different style. Queen Anne was popular in US and Charlotte in late 19th century. Some of the oldest homes on Kingston and Park in Dilworth express this style. It includes elements of other styles in a mix that often has a wrap porch. One floor or more.

Second is American Four Square carpenter style. Simple and symmetrical in dimensions and appearance. Always two story. An accomplished carpenter could design and build this house on site as the elements simplify the engineering necessary. These are also seen in Fourth Ward and other older neighborhoods from the late 1800's to early 1900's

I know I’m posting a lot but I’m home sick today LOL. I really appreciate this post and loved learning more about these sadly terminal houses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A car ran into Villani's bakery last night. This is the 4th time in the past two years that a car has hit a business, home, or a power line at this spot on Pecan. Maybe CDOT will wake up and realize a change is needed to slow cars down. This area is bad enough with the gravel parking lot. Cars are constantly parking and driving over the sidewalk here. 

image.png.ee81a398182c73ccfefdbf5ca0addddc.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Nathan2 said:

A car ran into Villani's bakery last night. This is the 4th time in the past two years that a car has hit a business, home, or a power line at this spot on Pecan. Maybe CDOT will wake up and realize a change is needed to slow cars down. This area is bad enough with the gravel parking lot. Cars are constantly parking and driving over the sidewalk here. 

image.png.ee81a398182c73ccfefdbf5ca0addddc.png

I'm stunned people even speed through here, must have been in the middle of the night?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

I'm stunned people even speed through here, must have been in the middle of the night?

People drive aggressively fast on this stretch of road for some reason. Villani's is also located right at the end of a bend in the road so I guess people loose control there. Most of these incidents have happened at night. 

• Thanks 1

I would guess drunk driving or texting and driving to not be able to handle that bend. Lots of bars in Plaza and while you'd think this day and age you'd get an Uber when drinking heavily, drunk driving is still very common.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2