GSP International

gvillenative

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

DFW with AA will going from two times a day currently to three times a day starting October 5th seven days a week. The additional flight will be on a regional Embraer 175.

ORD with AA will be going from once a day currently to twice a day starting October 29th seven days a week.

CLT with AA will be going from seven times a day (six on Tuesdays) currently to nine times a day seven days a week starting October 29th. Two of the flights will be mainline which is what it is currently. 

This is in addition to PHL with AA going from two times a day currently to three times a day starting July 5th seven days a week and MIA with AA returning November 5th seven days a week. 

With the good news always comes the bad though. In addition to ILG, Avelo will be ending service to HVN after Thanksgiving. Ouch. I fully expect Avelo to be completely gone from GSP by the end of the year. Also, Delta will be cutting one flight per day from both ATL and LGA starting in early August. 

Please pardon my stupidity, but I don’t understand your two posts:

1. You posted seat maps from a selected number of GSP-LGA flights, trying to show that they indicate that there is high demand for them.

2. Delta is cutting one GSP-LGA flight per day.

If load factors on GSP-LGA flights are very high, why is Delta reducing them?

I’ve flown GSP-LGA more than a dozen times since AA started its flights and loads have usually been very light, with a few exceptions (such as this past weekend).  Could Delta be reducing GSP-LGA because loads are light?

8 hours ago, gman430 said:

It is what it is. Too bad Avelo will be leaving GSP completely soon. They sure didn’t last long. Flights only once a day twice a week is a joke anyways. We need more airlines that actually fly everyday and more than once a day. 

Avelo loads have been very strong the first couple weeks.  Not sure why you think they would be gone other than to troll the airport.  MCO disappears in Sept and Oct, but comes right back in Nov.  I expect Avelo to grow, not shrink at GSP.  They are very high on the airport.  Not too many cities with them start with more than 1 destination!

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, gman430 said:

ILG-GSP with Avelo ends October 29th. HVN-GSP also with Avelo ends November 28th. 

So you equate an airline with only 15 planes not selling flights in the dead winter to 2 cities in the Northeast and utilizing the planes in better spots to failure and closure of a station?

1 hour ago, rssgvegas said:

So you equate an airline with only 15 planes not selling flights in the dead winter to 2 cities in the Northeast and utilizing the planes in better spots to failure and closure of a station?

Yes. The fact they’re moving the planes elsewhere tells me the demand isn’t there. If the demand was there, they would leave the routes at GSP intact permanently. GSP is the only route being cut from HVN. You don’t see American Airlines cutting service to the northeast in the dead of winter. They’re actually increasing service overall as we get closer to that time of year. 

Edited by gman430

2 hours ago, gman430 said:

Yes. The fact they’re moving the planes elsewhere tells me the demand isn’t there. If the demand was there, they would leave the routes at GSP intact permanently. GSP is the only route being cut from HVN. You don’t see American Airlines cutting service to the northeast in the dead of winter. They’re actually increasing service overall as we get closer to that time of year. 

No, that's where seasonality comes in.  Don't compare AA to Avelo lol.  That's 15 planes  compared to 1400.   You put your planes where you make your money.  You'd be foolish to send planes there and not take advantage of your Florida cities.  Then as the Florida seasonal ends you go back to those other routes.  Just like they went away from MCO in Sept and Oct, but came back for Florida season in November.   These planes don't connect.  You can't funnel people in a hub and spoke system like the legacy carriers.  This is a completely different business model.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rssgvegas said:

No, that's where seasonality comes in.  Don't compare AA to Avelo lol.  That's 15 planes  compared to 1400.   You put your planes where you make your money.  You'd be foolish to send planes there and not take advantage of your Florida cities.  Then as the Florida seasonal ends you go back to those other routes.  Just like they went away from MCO in Sept and Oct, but came back for Florida season in November.   These planes don't connect.  You can't funnel people in a hub and spoke system like the legacy carriers.  This is a completely different business model.

I stand by my statement. No matter how you want to spin it, Avelo is cutting service to and from GSP this Fall. GSP was chosen for these cuts for a reason. We’re just gonna have to agree to disagree. And regarding starting off with more than one destination, Southwest started off with five destinations from GSP and we have all seen how that’s gone. Frontier started off with three and we also saw how that went. 

Edited by gman430
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

Are you going to respond to the other posts above that question your statements?

Delta I guess is expecting load levels to and from GSP to drop in early August due to the Summer travel season coming to an end. LGA service with Delta increases back to three times daily in the middle of November due to the holiday travel season. Avelo doesn’t know what a holiday travel season is apparently. 

Edited by gman430

15 minutes ago, gman430 said:

Delta I guess is expecting load levels to and from GSP to drop in early August due to the Summer travel season coming to an end. LGA service with Delta increases back to three times daily in the middle of November due to the holiday travel season. Avelo doesn’t know what a holiday travel season is apparently. 

There are multiple other posts that question the accuracy of yours.  I assume that you are not going to respond to them.  I’ll leave it to you to do so, or not to do so.

11 hours ago, GvilleSC said:

Honest question: You don’t think Avelo’s move is based on expected seasonal demand? 

There’s no word if Avelo will bring back HVN or ILG service next year as their schedule currently only goes out until early January. I would be surprised if they do though as they’re already cutting service due to lack of demand.

23 minutes ago, distortedlogic said:

Gman, I'm confused... half your posts are about loaded planes, high load factors, and an upcoming record July; and the other half are about lack of demand and airlines leaving town. 

:dontknow:

I’m only posting what the airlines are showing. Flights hit a high in July then drop off starting in August. I guess the airlines are expecting demand to drop at GSP once August hits due to school starting back. Most of them (minus Avelo) add service back in October and November due to leaf color season, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. 

Edited by gman430

15 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

Gman, I'm confused... half your posts are about loaded planes, high load factors, and an upcoming record July; and the other half are about lack of demand and airlines leaving town. 

:dontknow:

Agreed.  And gman430’s constant selective use of facts to attack Greenville, even if those selective facts are minor and inconsistent with overall positive things, versus gman430’s use of selective facts to now say that the sky isn’t falling, is certainly confusing.

It would be better to look at the big picture and acknowledge reality, whether it’s good or bad.

Constantly claiming that Greenville overall is a failure when one airline simply cuts a flight,  but now claiming, only based on a few selected seat maps, that flight loads are great even though one major airline just cut one of the flights in question while increasing service on other routes, doesn’t make sense to me.  I’ll let someone else explain the logic.

Edited by PuppiesandKittens

I flew out of Asheville this weekend (AVL to PIE [St. Pete] via Allegiant) because I wasn't going to pay an arm and a leg on Delta (as Allegiant only flies to St. Pete on weekdays). The amount of mayhem going there right now makes GSP look like a World Class Airport. Parking is dreadful and I had to park in a gravel lot (that I believe they just created) and had to take a shuttle. Half the airport is closed (gates 8 - 14) due to construction, meaning they are cramming everyone on one side. And the funniest thing is, because they board everyone outside, they are putting 2 planes to a gate. St. Pete & Orlando were leaving at the same time and they delayed Orlando so we can board because "we can't board at the same time". It's just laughable. I mean, I hope when it's all finished, it will look phenomenal. But as of right now, I'll be paying the Delta Prices to fly out of here for a few years until the dumpster fire is fixed. That being said, I'm heading down to MCO this weekend via Delta Saturday Morning (thank you 530am flights). Makes you appreciate on what you have here in Greenville. 

47 minutes ago, DirectorBob0209 said:

I flew out of Asheville this weekend (AVL to PIE [St. Pete] via Allegiant) because I wasn't going to pay an arm and a leg on Delta (as Allegiant only flies to St. Pete on weekdays). The amount of mayhem going there right now makes GSP look like a World Class Airport. Parking is dreadful and I had to park in a gravel lot (that I believe they just created) and had to take a shuttle. Half the airport is closed (gates 8 - 14) due to construction, meaning they are cramming everyone on one side. And the funniest thing is, because they board everyone outside, they are putting 2 planes to a gate. St. Pete & Orlando were leaving at the same time and they delayed Orlando so we can board because "we can't board at the same time". It's just laughable. I mean, I hope when it's all finished, it will look phenomenal. But as of right now, I'll be paying the Delta Prices to fly out of here for a few years until the dumpster fire is fixed. That being said, I'm heading down to MCO this weekend via Delta Saturday Morning (thank you 530am flights). Makes you appreciate on what you have here in Greenville. 

Yep; and yet, somehow, AVL still gets more new routes and fanfare with better prices than a GSP market that is 3 times its size. I know... tourism. And more and more I hear about upstaters traveling to AVL because of the better  routes and prices. I did it too; I mean who doesn't want to save a few hundred dollars? Yet by using AVL we are hurting GSP.  Air travel sure is complex...

I will fly out of GSP always. It was just a spontaneous/booked less than 24 hour trip last week that Delta was through the roof and the only option was AVL. I fly out to Orlando tomorrow morning at 5:30am via Delta because I didn't waste last minute to book lol. And GSP will get my money until further notice (minus me going to Los Angeles in August as I'm driving to Atlanta to save $200 on a Delta Flight from ATL-LAX lol). 

Edited by DirectorBob0209
silly misspellings

39 minutes ago, DirectorBob0209 said:

I will fly out of GSP always. It was just a spontaneous/booked less than 24 hour trip last week that Delta was through the roof and the only option was AVL. I fly out to Orlando tomorrow morning at 5:30am via Delta because I didn't waste last minute to book lol. And GSP will get my money until further notice (minus me going to Los Angeles in August as I'm driving to Atlanta to save $200 on a Delta Flight from ATL-LAX lol). 

I’m not sure it’s worth driving to Atlanta to save $200 when you consider your time, gas, traffic, parking etc what are you really saving? :dontknow:

Edited by apaladin

Just released numbers for May. 228,252 total passengers for the second highest May total ever, just about 1600 behind that of May 2019. A 14% increase from last year. 

Roughly 965k so far this year, as compared to 844k through may of last year and 994k for 2019. Could give 2019 a run for its money over the next 7 months. I don't think it will get there but 2.5 seems possible. 

Edited by distortedlogic
  • Like 1

Couple of quick questions as I am ready to book a short vacation to Memphis 2 weeks from today.  How much are the daily rates in A and B? Thinking about flying Southwest. Do they still have the system where you call and get a position and have to get in line. Would Delta, AA or United be better? Thanks in advance 

54 minutes ago, apaladin said:

Couple of quick questions as I am ready to book a short vacation to Memphis 2 weeks from today.  How much are the daily rates in A and B? Thinking about flying Southwest. Do they still have the system where you call and get a position and have to get in line. Would Delta, AA or United be better? Thanks in advance 

Here is the link to GSP parking.  Gives you rates, real time status of lot availability, and allows you to make reservations if you prefer.

https://gspairport.com/parking/

You don't have to call anyone for Southwest, but your boarding number goes by check-in time unless you want to purchase expedited boarding.  They still do have you line up by numbers to board.

As someone who flies out of GSP every week on American, I would avoid Charlotte at all costs.  Taking United wouldn't make sense because you'd connect through Washington Dulles or Newark, which is a longer trip.  So it's connecting through Atlanta: either Delta or Southwest.

I'd take whichever one has more flights, in case of a disruption, as long as the price is the same.  

I take Delta every now and then and it's a perfectly fine airline.  Being able to get a pretty comfortable seat in Comfort+ (and earlier boarding, free booze, etc.) for usually $20 or so over the base fare is a pretty good deal.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PuppiesandKittens said:

As someone who flies out of GSP every week on American, I would avoid Charlotte at all costs.  Taking United wouldn't make sense because you'd connect through Washington Dulles or Newark, which is a longer trip.  So it's connecting through Atlanta: either Delta or Southwest.

I'd take whichever one has more flights, in case of a disruption, as long as the price is the same.  

I take Delta every now and then and it's a perfectly fine airline.  Being able to get a pretty comfortable seat in Comfort+ (and earlier boarding, free booze, etc.) for usually $20 or so over the base fare is a pretty good deal.

United does't fly to Dulles and you'd actually go through Houston or Chicago.  As for longer trips, don't forget connection times.  Depending on the schedules, sometimes taking a little bit longer of a flight to one place might get you to your destination a little quicker!