GSP International

gvillenative

2 hours ago, vicupstate said:

Schedules can be changed and obviously they aren't going to make it permanent until they see what happens in the short term. 

This. It doesn't make any sense to change to mainline for one month unless it is a trial and they feel pretty good about being able to make it more permanent. Have to be patient. I think it's a good sign they are even trying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, distortedlogic said:

This. It doesn't make any sense to change to mainline for one month unless it is a trial and they feel pretty good about being able to make it more permanent. Have to be patient. I think it's a good sign they are even trying.

Why are Houston and Chicago not trial runs then? Both of those routes will be mainline for the foreseeable future. Why is only Denver being cut? My guess is it’s due to lack of passenger demand. Has nothing to do with a trial run. 

Edited by gman430

9 hours ago, gman430 said:

Because that increase in capacity to Denver is only lasting for a few weeks instead of months or years which proves that GSP isn't ready for mainline service to that city yet. Once again…stagnant airport with no growth. Same reason Frontier packed up and left. United will be returning to the current level by the end of March for Denver. It’s already built into the schedule. 

Any schedule changes with mainline has nothing to do with the market and everything to do with the delivery delays on the new United aircraft.  Deliveries have become slower than expected, but are supposed to pick up.  United will be getting 1 new plane a day by the end of 2023 and 2 new planes a day by 2024.  Right now it's where to place those planes.  GSP is on United's radar, and they had a plane to send in the short schedule 3 for 2023, but when schedule 4 starts at the end of March a few seasonal services start and leaves GSP back to regional flying.  

United's schedule is only finalized until the end of May right now so as more mainline fleet hits the company, the chances to expand at GSP become greater.  If the mainline flights do well, that will almost guarantee you will continue to see GSP grow.  So as of right now, patience is the name of the game!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gman430 said:

You’re right. I need a long break from this forum. Peace out.

You have been around a long time. But you have changed brother. You used to be thankful and joyous for things that were happening in the area. But now you only focus on what you believe is missing. And for Greenville's size it isn't missing much and is adding more. You have become spoiled. Just being candid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bikeoid said:

Word on "the street" (A.K.A Facebook) from multiple people is that it is a good idea to allow extra time to get through TSA for the next day or so.   There is some issue like a new or malfunctioning X Ray machine.

I’ve had very inconsistent TSA times at GSP, despite having Pre-Check.  I got a Clear membership, which has been great.

21 hours ago, Exile said:

Amen. The drone shots alone more than compensate for any annoyance.

If it would help, we could leave him to do the drone pictures, and I can take over the responsibility of commenting in every single thread, including ones regarding projects that are already completed or actively under construction, that "This project is dead." If need be, I could probably also work myself up into a lather and complain bitterly that GSP is no better than Florence Regional.  I might also be persuaded to pitch a screaming fit that the skies over Greenville aren't a perpetual play of light and shadow from the ever-sweeping ballet of ten thousand tower cranes rotating at once -- but I'd probably need more coffee before I could work up that last one.  At any rate, just say the word and I'm happy to help!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, hauntedheadnc said:

If it would help, we could leave him to do the drone pictures, and I can take over the responsibility of commenting in every single thread, including ones regarding projects that are already completed or actively under construction, that "This project is dead." If need be, I could probably also work myself up into a lather and complain bitterly that GSP is no better than Florence Regional.  I might also be persuaded to pitch a screaming fit that the skies over Greenville aren't a perpetual play of light and shadow from the ever-sweeping ballet of ten thousand tower cranes rotating at once -- but I'd probably need more coffee before I could work up that last one.  At any rate, just say the word and I'm happy to help!

Thanks.  Perhaps we could set up a “I Hate Greenville (and I Also Totally Deny Reality)” thread, where people could totally ignore the facts and gripe about their delusional views of our wonderful city.

What to feel about this situation? Granted, gman430 does bring some interesting research to the forum. Further, I am a huge Greenville fan but will strongly defend any intelligent commentator's right to be negative. But IMO, 1) over time, the ratio of interesting news to bitter nonsense has been decreasing dramatically. And 2) generally he doesn't present legitimate, informed criticism but totally unfounded assertions that are often imaginary and, even worse, sometimes go directly counter to easily observed reality. I am really tired of getting excited about learning an update about some new project only to read it is "dead" (often for the second or third time) with no actual facts behind this assertion. Clicking on these links is a total waste of my time. I even wonder what possesses him to put up these "dead" posts, is there any other purpose than to seek attention and annoy us? The GSP criticism is also nonsense. Does he have the slightest inside information about the negotiations and recruitment between GSP management and the airlines? As others have posted, airlines are desperate to make money, if they saw us having the demand (and had the resources--remember, they are still recovering from downsizing too much during the pandemic), more service would materialize. And slowly, over time, it is.  Again, as others have noted, we are sandwiched between two giant hubs (at least before the pandemic Atlanta was the busiest in the world) within driving distance. The irony here is that GSP is a fantastic, award winning (literally) airport that is attractive, clean, full of art, free of lines, cheap to park at, and easy to use.  I frequently get unsolicited comments from visitors about what a great experience it is. And the airport is constantly coming up with new plans and projects to improve, as gman430 himself chronicles!

What to do about this situation? Hard to know the solution. I almost feel like complaining about him is what he wants, hard to think that many of these posts are not just about getting attention and making us miserable. For this reason I almost hate to be posting this, but I'm just so fed up I have to vent. In sum, don't leave gman430, you do do valuable work in unearthing evidence about what goes on here. But please don't post, especially bitter and negative comments, unless you have actual, concrete, new information about what is "dead" or about how GSP management is criminally lazy, idiotic, slothful, or on the crack pipe.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2023 at 7:35 AM, bikeoid said:

Word on "the street" (A.K.A Facebook) from multiple people is that it is a good idea to allow extra time to get through TSA for the next day or so.   There is some issue like a new or malfunctioning X Ray machine.

With United going mainline on a couple flights in the am as well as some schedule changes by the other airlines, there are expected to be heavy loads of passengers flying out, especially during the 6am-8am time period.  Already during those times there have been lines down the escalators and even very long pre-check lines.  Those new bag scanners due take a little extra time to clear too which is slowing the process.  I would definitely recommend coming extra early these days!

• Like 1

American Airlines to add third daily flight to Washington DC starting on April 9th Sunday-Friday. Saturday to remain twice a day.

American Airlines will be switching from Airbus 319 to Airbus 320 over the next few months on their mainline flights to Charlotte.  Number of flights a day remains the same. 

This is still pretty far out and is subject to change but in Fall 2023, American Airlines is slated to change from regional to mainline plane to Miami. Airbus 319 instead of Embraer 175. Also, Chicago is slated to go from once a day to twice a day during this time period.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 2

If the codeshare agreement is approved by the USDOT in a few weeks and if Mexico can get their category 1 status back from the FAA, GSP is in line to receive non-stop direct service to Cancun with Allegiant by 2026. You can read the entire document here: https://downloads.regulations.gov/DOT-OST-2021-0152-0001/attachment_1.pdf News story here: https://simpleflying.com/dot-finishes-reviewing-requested-allegiant-viva-aerobus-partnership/

This pdf file from GSP shows why Allegiant is considering bringing Cancun service here: https://gspairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/GSP-At-A-Glance-Q3-2022_7.14.22.pdf Notice that city is #1 for international travel out of GSP and it isn’t even close. 

“However, one of the largest markets the two airlines see room for growth is in the southeastern United States. This means growth to places like New Orleans, Shreveport, Greenville, Jacksonville, and plenty of other destinations.“

https://simpleflying.com/allegiant-viva-case-jv/

Edited by gman430
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, gman430 said:

If the codeshare agreement is approved by the USDOT in a few weeks and if Mexico can get their category 1 status back from the FAA, GSP is in line to receive non-stop direct service to Cancun with Allegiant by 2026. You can read the entire document here: https://downloads.regulations.gov/DOT-OST-2021-0152-0001/attachment_1.pdf News story here: https://simpleflying.com/dot-finishes-reviewing-requested-allegiant-viva-aerobus-partnership/

This pdf file from GSP shows why Allegiant is considering bringing Cancun service here: https://gspairport.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/GSP-At-A-Glance-Q3-2022_7.14.22.pdf Notice that city is #1 for international travel out of GSP and it isn’t even close. 

Ooh... Nice, but I'm going to hold out hope for Toronto.  Being connected to a major, major hub like that would be awesome.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

Alright…fine. I’ll try and be more positive and keep my mouth shut unless I have factual updates to projects throughout the area. Sorry for being a negative Nancy the last few months. It’s just frustrating not getting any updates on projects I want to see get built because I know they would make an already great place even better. I guess I just need to have better patience. I am sure the vast majority if not all of them will get built over the next few years. 

Welcome back. Nothing wrong with being realistic, but have to look at the whole picture; not just the negative. There is much more good going here than negative.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, gman430 said:

Alright…fine. I’ll try and be more positive and keep my mouth shut unless I have factual updates to projects throughout the area. Sorry for being a negative Nancy the last few months. It’s just frustrating not getting any updates on projects I want to see get built because I know they would make an already great place even better. I guess I just need to have better patience. I am sure the vast majority if not all of them will get built over the next few years. 

Yes, thanks! You do bring a lot of great research and info to the site!

• Like 2