Union Square

Am I the only one who thinks the penthouse additions on the roof just looks wrong?

I just can't reconcile the contemporary look of that on top of a traditional looking

building, regardless of the untraditional re-use. Think the concept is way-cool, but

the penthouses just appear odd.

I think it was a wise move to make the new construction not match the old. Whether it could have been done better is debatable. If you try to match existing construction it never actually works out. The brick will be a different shade and the details will be a little different and it will look like they tried to make it match but fell short. In my opinion it's better to go a completely different direction.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're actually in the auditorium (unit 241). Early in the process, we figured this would fall in with the rest of the 2nd floor construction around August, but last week I was told October/November. Now it's December. The prospect of moving in the winter isn't all that appealing. Plus, we have our house on the market now and we'll probably have to wait out the interim in an apartment, with most of our stuff stored. We're trying to keep positive, but it's hard to contain our disappointment. Just wish we'd known all this up front.

The delay is because of a supply problem. It seems a certain manufacturer was written into the design spec for material, and material from a different source ended up on the job. :shok: The original manufacturer got wind of this, called the architect, and had the material ripped out and replaced causing a delay.

The delay is because of a supply problem. It seems a certain manufacturer was written into the design spec for material, and material from a different source ended up on the job. :shok: The original manufacturer got wind of this, called the architect, and had the material ripped out and replaced causing a delay.

Whoopsie! Hope that kind of thing isn't repeated.

Am I the only one who thinks the penthouse additions on the roof just looks wrong?

I just can't reconcile the contemporary look of that on top of a traditional looking

building, regardless of the untraditional re-use. Think the concept is way-cool, but

the penthouses just appear odd.

The upper penthouse additions will all make sense once they vinyl-side the rest of the entire building.

The upper penthouse additions will all make sense once they vinyl-side the rest of the entire building.

I think keeping the contrast is very important to the whole project. Brick = old school. Siding = new cool.

Once the penthouses are complete, all the new windows are in, and all the balconies are up, we will all see how great the building looks! :thumbsup:

I went through the two models yesterday and must say was pretty impressed. One of the first things I thought of when I saw these being built was "who in their right mind would want to live facing the freaking high-way?!" after the tour i've completely changed my stance. that side of the building (imo) is the side to be on. great views and you couldnt even hear the outside noise. i believe he said they have 17 left so it's almost full.

• 2 weeks later...

What would be real cool is we, the UP GR crew, get together and come up with a proposal for this unique venue.

I dig the idea of terraced fine dining and live music. Something like you'd see in an old time movie. A smokey room, a woman singing up front w/ a band, and me eating meatballs. :D

Kinda like this place w/o the dance floor... http://www.bimbos365club.com/events/mainshow.html

I dig the idea of terraced fine dining and live music. Something like you'd see in an old time movie. A smokey room, a woman singing up front w/ a band, and me eating meatballs. :D

Kinda like this place w/o the dance floor... http://www.bimbos365club.com/events/mainshow.html

Sort of a "Retro Supper Club/Lounge" kind of place Mike? That would be interesting.

And when we win, we can all take turns living in U2 during the 10 years of free rent... :)

I think the free rent implies the auditorium only, not an apartment.. But if you're cool sleepin in the kitchen :thumbsup:

And jeff: Yeah.. somethin like in the movie The Mask when Jim Carey first see's what's-her-name. Bad example i know, but you get the idea.

Archived