DESTROYED: Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
dave has the right to be wrong. I think many people (not myself) here believe that it was an eye sore. But that didn't mean that it could be torn down illegally. that the developer could lie about his intentions, ON THE RECORD to the city plan commission and the state, all the while using the back door to try to get a demolition permit. That kind of behavior, whether it is about buildings, or lobbying insurance companies, or liquor licenses, or no-show jobs and heavy handed union contracts, or parking lots, it is BAD immoral behavior and ...the developer pulled yet another fast one in order to get what he wanted, and screw everyone else.

i wish i could quote all of you on this, but you are all wrong as per usual

ive been on this site for a few years now and all i see is whining

political bullsh*t whining from more than half of you

its always the have-not's that whine about the have's

those who spoke out against my quote above are in the same mold

i got some messages from people who liked my quote, but did not post for all to see

so i know all of you arent nuts

i was born less than a mile from this bldg

my whole life i sat there and watched a bldg that no one cared about till it was bought by someone who wanted to actually use the land - then you cared. you got up on your soapbox and you cared when you should have cared 20-30 years ago when the bldg could have been viably saved. the cost now is ridiculous

the developer is in business for numero uno to make a profit - not to give you a cut, when will people understand this

you sound like extortionists, and growing up in RI i know something about the subject

its always the one calling someone else out who wants a cut of the action

i went to school for architecture and business - the bldg had no redeeming qualities in either sphere in my opinion... i.e. it was too costly and ugly to renovate, and for the neighborhood that grew up around it, ie the mall, apts, etc, it was finally out of context - a silly fresh produce market would have lasted a year till it went out of business, its business model could not compete in that area without subsidy

secondly - im willing to bet a good % of you are transplants and that just doesnt sit right with me when you spill your whining about supposed historical context - some of you were even around before this "renaissance"

let me say it again - zoning is sometimes an avenue to limit freedom; and historical societies are sometimes an avenue to limit progress, and both are sometimes ways to legitimize someone's half-a$sed no proof point of view by speaking out against, i.e. a way for you to make money or a way for you to sound intellectual or socially conscious

history itself is not holy, sometimes people in here fall back on it like it is

next time you paint a picture, let 100 people tell you how bad it is or what they would change

but you paid for the paint and the canvas, should it matter what they say?

sheep, all of you... lol have a good night

I just want to clarify: Its not about the building.

I'm one of the natives here and I know a thing or two about the way of getting things done in Rhode Island going back my whole life. That being said, the perception of the corruption culture has changed significantly under Ciccilline's administration. So I'm discouraged that on this one the fix was in. The rules agreed upon in the RE contract with the developer were a nice neat little front - to pacify us for the time being - but it was always understood by the guys in the back room the K would be breached.

Its like this: For all the yelling about the significance of the building and the cries by some to save it and "make it beautiful" again, the boys downtown talked it over and decided they just didn't care what the people thought about any of it. So they said "screw these preservation people, we'll tear it down anyway. But for now we'll write it up like a Rising Sun, rehab-type thing. They'll eat that sh!t up." And how long have we been speculating? (Quincy-market style whatever never gonna happen)

Carpionato made a deal with the State of Rhode Island... thats you, me, everyone here... and we all got hoodwinked out of $10 million and I happen to think that sucks.

For the record, I hate the damn thing. I always wondered who would pay the rental prices across the street to look out the living room window at that dump. I may have always wished the building be blown up, but fu<king the taxpayers to get it done is not a means to that end I'm willing to roll over and say I'll be cool with. Its not about the building.

I echo Dan - well put.

I'm also a native RIer.

I'm not a big preservationist per se.

The building was clearly in major disrepair.

The building arguably would have been uneconomical to rehab into something meaningful.

I too have heartburn over the "deal" that was made. I'm also unhappy with the State and City for allowing the building to sit and rot after the shady transaction that allowed the building to sit and rot further.

I'm having trouble here, maybe you can guys can help me: which is more offensive, the man's fascism or his ignorance?

Let me say for the record, though, Dave, that you're not as alone as you seem to feel. In fact, it's because of people like you that, when I tell people I'm a native Rhode Islander, I do so with a mixture of pride and shame. Because I love this place, its beauty, its history, and its potential. But in the end there are just too many people like you here.

Listen, this has gone too far.

Dave, stop antagonizing everybody, it's immature. Nobody is trying to make you feel like an idiot for disagreeing. If you have a point, be civil in it's presentation. If somebody unjustly attacks you for your opinion, then stay virtuous, and walk away from it the better person. You're a grown man and should know better than to think that your current approach will bring anything productive from others. I'm assuming, of course, that you already know this and just like to push people's buttons for fun because they disagree with you and must be punished. I don't really care what your motives are, to be honest. Just grow up. I shouldn't have to tell you this sh*t, I'm not your father.

Everybody else, stop feeding his ego and playing yourselves like pawns. Nothing you say is going to suddenly bring him into some sort of enlightenment or teach him any civility. Ignore the nonsense and respond only to his points (if you even care to acknowledge him at this point). If you're too outraged or offended to be objective, wait until you calm down. There's no need to bring yourself down by making statements you ordinarilly wouldn't make, for the sake of trying to offend somebody that doesn't take what you say seriously anyway. It's a pointless action, and degrades you more than it could ever affect him.

It's a shame that this thread has come to this nonsense. It makes us ALL look like fools, and I don't wanna be part of that. This is a topic that is personally important to me. I love the neighborhood and wish to see it treated with respect. This is supposed to be the place where I can come and have civil discourse with other interested individuals about the sort of issues that have no other forum for discussion, but childish bickering is leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. Stop. Please.

Archived