DESTROYED: Providence Fruit & Produce Warehouse

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They probably are then. But, to use these drawings to lure renters and buyers into the building is completely unethical and misleading. Then again, look who they are dealing with. My friend said that nothing on the drawings and layouts say Carpionato. My friend actually moved in because of this! He thought it was going to be a very exciting strip. Full of bars, restaurants, shops, etc. That is how they are marketing their building. I just find it disgraceful.

The renders that they had up when I was there last summer where VERY old drawings I had already seen on Urban Planet in 2005 or so. They indeed showed a PFChangs and some other big box retail. I thought they had been posted in this thread but I just looked through and couldnt find them. I assume these are still the same drawings they are using (They where up on an easel in the 903 main lobby near the sales office).

The renders that they had up when I was there last summer where VERY old drawings I had already seen on Urban Planet in 2005 or so. They indeed showed a PFChangs and some other big box retail. I thought they had been posted in this thread but I just looked through and couldnt find them. I assume these are still the same drawings they are using (They where up on an easel in the 903 main lobby near the sales office).

My friend said there was a Crate & Barrel and an Armani too. That could have been scribbled in.

This one?

2006-0914-produce002.jpg

They had a rendering up when I visited after they first went condo that was similar to this, but not quite the same (it was drawn a little better).

Thats Buddy Cianci, right? I implore ANYONE to say PVD isn't better off without that convicted felon in office..

But if for some reason that is the case, extending to Club Fantasies, I'll do backflips down Harris Ave.. That would be awesome.. I like PF Changs.. Except for the cramped layout of the Boston one and the falsely pretentious clientele there..

Now, that would be an AWESOME location.

Last rumor on PF Changs I heard was that they were going into the old "Beyond India" restaurant space (they were open for about 2 weeks I think) on Dorrance that has been empty for four years or so... This rumor was at least a year ago...

- Garris

That design is completely innappropriate for what is virtually part of downtown. Delete surface parking, add garage and move stores up to sidewalk please. Why would that be so hard? If I want to shop in a strip mall I'll go to Attleboro, or North Main Street...

• 1 month later...

renderings for the new building on this site are on display at the RI Business EXPO in the RICC.

While admittedly not very critical, I thought they looked pretty cool. There was a 3-5 story section closest to the mall end of the lot that was glassy, then the middle part was 2-3 stories and more "providence brick," then back up to 3-4 stories on the western end that was sort of a blend (leaning more toward brick). The eastern end was curved to match the curve of the route 10 on-ramp from 95S.

I'll try to ask for some details about it as there is a rep there answering questions.

OK, my quick glance yesterday was apparently too quick. It looks to be more like 9-11 stories tall on the mall end and 5-7 on the western end. No plans or other info available until they go to the city with their plans...

The only views they had were from the river looking at the north face and from 95S looking in a southwesterly direction. It would appear that there would be surface parking in front of it (the 903 side), but wide and shallow. The building was indeed much larger & longer than I thought. I counted floors and it was indeed in the 9-11 range.

The glass portion reminded me of a cross between the GTech logo structure with the sharp corner of the BCBS HQ bldg. The rest reminded me of the marriott on Memorial (red-brick).

Picture a building that Dave Brussat loves on one end and hates on the other!

I'm guessing this was a trial balloon of sorts to gauge public reaction and see if people have gotten over the demolition of the Fruit & Produce Warehouse; show'em a pretty picture and all will be forgiven.

I think many of us feel, and we've discussed here, that it is not so much the demolition, but the process that needs forgiveness. And the city and state maybe should be asking more for forgiveness than the developer.

Not that I'm fixing to forgive anyone, but a couple of 8 story buildings don't sound too bad, the relationship to the street being the all important factor of course.

I love the building, hate the criminal activity on the tax payer..

I will not frequent this no matter what, as I don't want to pay for this THRICE.. Awful, corrupt sale price, horrendous corrupt use of tax credits (read: taxpayer fleecing) and then retail sale $$ from my personal income..

No thank you..

Is there really any hope of this rendering turning into an actual building?

Let me state how I predict this will work:

- Get land for cheap by lying to state (check)

- go back on your word by allowing the building to destroy itself (check)

- get a slimy demo permit (check)

- destroy building (check)

- show pretty pictures to garner public favor (check)

- talk about difficulties of current economy

- talk about receiving some income for the investment

- pave

- petition city for "temporary" surface lot.

- become overflow lot for Providence Place at $5/car, $15 on WaterFire nights

Voila!

Archived