Norfolk Development

vdogg

Here is a website I found in the real estate section of the Pilot. These are lofts for sale on Granby -> site

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, how did we miss that site? I was looking for a Marathon Development site too. As much money as he spends you'd think he would have website, and I guess this is it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vdogg, here is another statement to add to your signature from the above website.

"So many young professionals and empty nesters want to move in," says Nancy Chapman, spokeswoman for the NRHA, "developers can't keep up with demand."

woo hoo!!!

Here is a website I found in the real estate section of the Pilot. These are lofts for sale on Granby -> site

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some of the info on that site is really dated which means its probably been out there for a while. I don't know how we missed this one.

Well, It took me all of 2 days to read through this thread, but I finally made it :D Please bare with me... I'm new to the whole blog scene (so I'm learning as I go). A little background info on myself... I'm originally from Providence, RI... moved to Norfolk, VA in 1981 (age 7) as a military brat... eventually graduated from Green Run HS in VA Beach... attended Temple University in Philadelphia to study Architecture... moved back to the area in 1997, and just recently bought a house in Norfolk in an area where the city is doing a lot of redevelopment. Maybe too much information, but atleast you know where I'm coming from. My interest in Norfolk's DT development grew a few years back when I was looking for a home. I've found that not too many people shared my enthusiasm or excitement for Norfolk's "Renaissance," and then I somehow stumbled onto this site :w00t: I'm surprised I didn't find you guys earlier considering how long I've been following the numerous developments (past and present) around town. I've enjoyed reading the posts, and hope that I can add something to the discussion. One thing I haven't seen posted on this board are the plans for several neighborhoods within Norfolk that are going through redevelopment. They may not add to Norfolk's skyline, but I feel they are important none the less. Check out some of the plans on the link below. I think many of you will find the Wards Corner plan very fascinating. They imply that this section of the city will become Norfolk's Uptown commercial district. Let me know what you think.

http://www.norfolk.gov/Planning/comehome/N...rhood_plans.asp

Well, It took me all of 2 days to read through this thread, but I finally made it  :D  Please bare with me... I'm new to the whole blog scene (so I'm learning as I go).  A little background info on myself... I'm originally from Providence, RI... moved to Norfolk, VA in 1981 (age 7) as a military brat... eventually graduated from Green Run HS in VA Beach... attended Temple University in Philadelphia to study Architecture... moved back to the area in 1997, and just recently bought a house in Norfolk in an area where the city is doing a lot of redevelopment.  Maybe too much information, but atleast you know where I'm coming from.  My interest in Norfolk's DT development grew a few years back when I was looking for a home.  I've found that not too many people shared my enthusiasm or excitement for Norfolk's "Renaissance," and then I somehow stumbled onto this site  :w00t:    I'm surprised I didn't find you guys earlier considering how long I've been following the numerous developments (past and present) around town.  I've enjoyed reading the posts, and hope that I can add something to the discussion.  One thing I haven't seen posted on this board are the plans for several neighborhoods within Norfolk that are going through redevelopment.  They may not add to Norfolk's skyline, but I feel they are important none the less.  Check out some of the plans on the link below.  I think many of you will find the Wards Corner plan very fascinating.  They imply that this section of the city will become Norfolk's Uptown commercial district.  Let me know what you think.

http://www.norfolk.gov/Planning/comehome/N...rhood_plans.asp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the site br0guy, it's always good to have more people to add to the conversation. We've been steadily growing (though this week we've seen some fantastic growth) and hope to continue doing so in the future. I think we have a thread in here for both Wards corner and Ghent developments. They haven't seen any activity in a while so they probably fell to the back page. When I find them i'll post a link to them here.

Wow so I guess that when it rains it pours with development news!  I am happy that the Riverview thing is official.

On a slightly different note, I was in Chesapeake the other evening and decided to poke around their library (probably the nicest non-university one in Hampton Roads).  In their historical room they have a few Carol Walker books with old Norfolk pictures.  OMG! 

Norfolk OBLITERATED the city center in such a short time it is amazing.  You would think that we were blitzed during WWII or something!  Most of the architechture that replaced what was lost was 60's styled crap (Civic Center, Kirn Library, etc) and PARKING LOTS!!!!!.  I know that the housing projects were built to replace really awful slums, which I can apprecaite but everything else from Granby to 264 (except a few historic churches and houses) was wiped clean off the map.  What a shame.

If any of you have the chance to go take a look at any Carol Walker books (or buy them) I would highly suggest it.  Then you can understand why people were up in arms to save Blair MS and "the Beehive" that they are tearing down in Ghent. 

At least now the stuff that is going up downtown is nice and makes a good effort to blend in.  It is equally amazing to see that after sitting dormant for 30 years, the CBD has completely done another 180 in 7-8 years.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BUMP on that!

My grandmother grew up during the glory days and my mom grew up and lived in the later half and saw the fall and destruction. trust me, i have heard all about how great Norfolk was.

My mom has both of those books, and they are a nessity for anyone who appreciates this area (Norfolk & Va Beach) Downtown actually looked like a real city. people everywhere, trolly cars, and believe it or not, but Church Street was the place to be! it had china town, greek town, and many other diffrent districts. theres also quite abit about Va. Beach too. I Guarantee that anyone who reads those books will be AMAZED at what they see and read about. it was truly an eye opening book. :thumbsup:

Welcome BrOGuy. Happy to have you aboard. So are you working in the architecture field in the area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually no... Architecture went from being my major to my minor. I'm a Satellite Engineer for Old Dominion University.

Fort Norfolk is a truly incredible development. HUGE! I wonder if that will be done in stages?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Looking at these pics, DT would stretch down to EVMS!!! In which case, I'd hope they'd fix up Brambleton Ave (and the bridge)... that road has more potholes than a lil bit :P

Thats what was going up before Granby ate their lunch  :lol: .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually, hmm... That might not be it, but Granby will be sitting on what used to be a federal lot for the courthouse. Is the lot where that possible 35-40 story tower is supposed to go a federal lot?

**Over the past few years, Downtown Norfolk has become quite a place to do business. With businesses taking advantage of opportunities to move in (some even trying to get smaller just to get a spot somewhere) you have to wonder if there are secret plans to bring a new office tower in the next round of announcements along with the City Courts Tower and Hilton. People from Advantis real estate said earlier in the year that with Maersk Line's move to downtown, downtown office space will hit single digits and obviously since that other's have also moved in. Maybe the only scary part was Wachovia and Southtrust's merger which would leave a gaping hole in Dominion Tower. Well almost immediately, that hole is set to be filled and another big financial player is coming to downtown...

INSIDER NEWS

Bank of Hampton Roads joins Norfolk

Shifting gears just a little, and in relation to the Broad Creek redevelopment in Norfolk, does anyone remember a story about the possibility of that area being consided as a site for a major recreation center to be paid for throught the Ray Kroc Foundation? I think it is to be a part of the Salvation Army organization. I believe a site in the Bayside area of Virginia Beach was also being considered. This story in Inside Business seems to indicate a decision may come this month:

Kroc Recreation Centers

I think this would be a real boost to the Broad Creek redevelopment effort.

Chesapeake Pirate

Shifting gears just a little, and in relation to the Broad Creek redevelopment in Norfolk, does anyone remember a story about the possibility of that area being consided as a site for a major recreation center to be paid for throught the Ray Kroc Foundation?  I think it is to be a part of the Salvation Army organization.  I believe a site in the Bayside area of Virginia Beach was also being considered.  This story in Inside Business seems to indicate a decision may come this month:

Kroc Recreation Centers

I think this would be a real boost to the Broad Creek redevelopment effort.

Chesapeake Pirate

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It sounds good but honestly this is the first time i've ever heard of it. If it comes to fruition, it can only be a plus for Broad creek.

Time to update the Site plan! Update letter 'B' from 2 seven story buildings to one 18-20 story, and its going to be appartments priced from $1,200 to $2,500 per month, which is a type of housing DT needs more of as well. Plans call for up to 250 appartments, depending on much land around the project the developer can aquire. (I think you had incorrectly labeled 'A' as being where 'B' was, but clearly from the Pilot photo the project fronts Brambleton, and the article also mentions that depending on how it works out, there might be a pedestrian bridge to connect to the row condos planned for 'A'.)

From the above link.

NORFOLK

Time to update the Site plan Update letter 'B' from 14 stories to 18-20, and its going to be appartments, something DT needs more of as well. Plans call for up to 250 appartments, depending on much land around the project the developer can aquire. I also think you had incorrectly labeled 'A' as being where 'B' was, but clearly from the pilot photo the project fronts Brambleton.

From the above link.

NORFOLK

Archived