Norfolk Development

vdogg

I don't think that is an anonymous area because it has everything all office parks have and more. The Lake Wright Center is situated one of the regions busiest intersections, has a plentiful supply of hotel rooms in a short distance as well as rental car businesses, has one of the regions largest and busiest shopping corridors a few minutes away and literally outstanding highway access. Plus it has one special convenience that no other office park in Norfolk, Virginia Beach, or Downtown Norfolk have,.... Airport.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the airport and the hotels are the biggest obvious draw. It has that advantage over the Greenbriar office park area and Lynnhaven office parks.

In the article about the area, it says that the CMA-CGM building is built on the last parcel of land. Seems to me that there is a lot of space in parking lots that could be consolidated into a garage, thus opening a few more "parcels". If Norfolk is throwing cash at all these downtown garages they can surely afford to build one or two there. And being as the area is not right in the flight path of ORF (the planes fly over the office park off Robin Hood Road) I wonder if they could think of anything a wee bit taller for that park.

Finally, it is at 90% capacity??!! I wonder if Norfolk officials have thought of ways they could expand this idea over Princess Anne and further down that segment of Military Hwy. Or if VA Beach could work some "Lake Wright magic" for that blighted segment of Northampton Blvd. I guess getting a huge tract of land at once rather than having to piece it together helps a lot though.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe that it dropped down to 15 stories again, i thought somewhere on here someone said it was down to 16.  That sucks. Maybe this is the building that turtle thought the mayor was talking about being 16 stories.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think it has, it's just the original title of the plans which if you look at the pdf file you'll notice are dated 2004. I think this certificate just gives them permission to operate a mixed use development, and the height listed is not set in stone. Notice it still says 99 condos when we know for a fact that more condos were added.

I can't believe that it dropped down to 15 stories again, i thought somewhere on here someone said it was down to 16.  That sucks. Maybe this is the building that turtle thought the mayor was talking about being 16 stories.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not likely with Okinawas friend confirming 17-18 as well. But thats just hotel. Condos could at least break it into the 20's.

I don't think it has, it's just the original title of the plans which if you look at the pdf file you'll notice are dated 2004. I think this certificate just gives them permission to operate a mixed use development, and the height listed is not set in stone. Notice it still says 99 condos when we know for a fact that more condos were added.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that was with the added condos, I thought it was orginally 60 condos and they moved them up to 90?

Not likely with Okinawas friend confirming 17-18 as well. But thats just hotel. Condos could at least break it into the 20's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we're talking about Harbor Heights, right? Where did the hotel come in? Anyway, Harbor Heights, last I was told, is supposed to be 17 stories/120 condos. I can ask again later to confirm it.

Edit: Oh, haha I see. I had to read the last couple posts a few times. But anyway, the Hilton Hotel should still be about 18 stories plus condos, but this Development Certificate has nothing to do with it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still think it is going to hit about 25 stories. probably sitting at 290ft tall. Just a guess, but I wouldnt be suprised if I was close.

I still think it is going to hit about 25 stories.  probably sitting at 290ft tall.  Just a guess, but I wouldnt be suprised if I was close.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really doubt that with site work going on now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

^^^^Yeah, and urbanlife was referring to the Hilton and not HH. I think we're all confusing eachother here. :lol:

The translation for the article about the Downtown Plaza is this...

"We have a ton of developers that are really, really interested in building on this site, but we want to make sure it blends well with the urban fabric that already exits downtown. So, we will be hiring Urban Design Associates again like we have in the past on several other projects downtown to help us maintain our forward progression. As you all know we are running out of land in the downtown area so the need for high-rise development is eminent, but we want to make sure it blends well with our existing skyline." ;)

Archived