The Village at Sandhill

StevenRocks

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The diversity in Columbia is a joke compared to other cities....especially the Greek population....and not just bigger cities........even Greenville-Spartanburg has a bigger concentration than Columbia....i am greek btw........and i love how you guys seem to ignore the statement I made about Columbia not having an immigration office....

There is a customs office at the airport, btw...has been for years.

Tem, I know alot of people in Columbia that are of Greek descent; I wouldn't say there ia a large Greek community, but it isn't tiny either. BTW, only 1% of the population of Boston and Manhattan is of Greek ancestry.

Columbia Customs Office and Foreign trade Zone

My biggest problem with the V@S is it's location. It's not very easy to get to if you don't live in the NE area. Clemson Rd in two lanes for over half of the distance from 20. Two Notch is terrible. Clemson Rd/Killian is quite a haul from 77.

And I think the condos there are designed more for the Live/Work atmosphere the developer Kahn was going for. Locating Buisnesses, Offices, and Residences on the same property. Have any buisnesses locating on the site been announce?

I certainly hope so. But that is a somewhat seedy area, so I am doubtful that will happen any time soon.

I live between Decker Blvd and VAS (but closer to Decker) and I have to say that I haven't been to VAS since BiLo opened (and I took my then visiting parents out there to show them what was happening). I really hate having to fight the traffic to go out Two Notch Rd anymore and I try hard NOT to give the stores who moved out further my business (except for Michaels because driving to Harbison is not on my agenda anymore either). I figure if the businesses want to move out further then I'll let those folks out there support them now and spend my money elsewhere (in non-retail establishments - thrift stores are much less expensive with NO sales tax!).

Secondly, I don't think Decker is a "seedy" area (but I have heard about gangs and shootings in and around the Summit area near the new VAS). We have monthly Sheriff Dept Advisory Committee meetings in a Decker Restaurant (Zorba's) and discuss this area often. The Sheriff's dept is doing an excellent job at keeping crime down in the area. And, Richland County recently designated the Decker Blvd corridor for revitalization and they have a nice chunk of money they're going to spend on upgrading the area and bringing in other types of businesses and residences. If you missed any of the public meetings about this and/or the week long open house with the consultants in Columbia Place, contact Mike Montgomery on the Richland County Council for more information.

I work six miles (down Two Notch Rd) from my home and try to spend MY money in between my home and my business - keeping it local and closer, rather than following the retailers who keep moving away from those who kept them in business long enough so they COULD move.

There is a customs office at the airport, btw...has been for years.

Tem, I know alot of people in Columbia that are of Greek descent; I wouldn't say there ia a large Greek community, but it isn't tiny either. BTW, only 1% of the population of Boston and Manhattan is of Greek ancestry.

Columbia Customs Office and Foreign trade Zone

Boston proper or Boston metro? Because I go up to Boston my mom lives there, there are 15 Greek churches in the metro area compared to only 1 in Columbia

Boston proper or Boston metro? Because I go up to Boston my mom lives there, there are 15 Greek churches in the metro area compared to only 1 in Columbia

If you think Columbia lacks so much, do you really think moving away to Boston helps the situation? Did you ever notice that the larger the city's population, the more the city has to offer in entertainment, jobs, better econonmy, etc. Maybe you should try becoming Coble's successor to see how much you can achieve with the city of Columbia.

Yeah I heard that rumor also....not sure if its true or not....that is one of my favorite places though :D

I went to the one in South Park Mall in Charlotte the other day, and I was not all that impressed. I guess I've heard so much a/b it, I expected more. My food was pretty good, but overpriced. My drinks were WAY overpriced. And I don't drink Sweat Tea, but come on, if you open a rest. south of the mason dixon line, it's inyour best interest to serve sweat tea. It's so cheap and it's almost pure profit. Something I'll never understand.

^The only thing I like about CF is the cheesecake. Nothing else is really worth it IMO.

Tem, since Boston is several times larger than Columbia, that makes perfect sense. I don't think you have a problem with Columbia per se, but rather the size of Columbia.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with Columbia, period. I think he just likes to complain and get a rise out of people.

I can't believe I just wasted the past 5 minutes reading that. I'm highly dissapointed that you guys would sink to these insults. Tem has his views, and regardless of whether you agree with them or not, you should at least respect them. And likewise, Tem should not be so dismissive. If any of you think what makes a city is Greek population or baklava or anything of the like, then I feel sorry for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Red Robin Burgers will be coming to the Village. One will be opening there and in Greenville at month's end as part of an expansion of the chain into the South Carolina market.

It seems that lately, Columbia has been getting some good retail/restaurant landings, often representing one of the first in the state. You have Red Robin, American Apparel, Sportmen's Warehouse, and there are a couple of others I can't remember.

Red Robin Burgers will be coming to the Village. One will be opening there and in Greenville at month's end as part of an expansion of the chain into the South Carolina market.

It seems that lately, Columbia has been getting some good retail/restaurant landings, often representing one of the first in the state. You have Red Robin, American Apparel, Sportmen's Warehouse, and there are a couple of others I can't remember.

Also coming to the Village is a Greenville based Arizona Steak House that will open a family style restuarant in Jan so this is also great news

• 3 weeks later...

Archived