POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a big parking lot between the Biltmore and the ProJo that could use developing.  28+ story tower could easily be accomodated there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that the Providence Journal's lot? You're right, that should be built on, its been festering there long enough.

Is that the Providence Journal's lot?  You're right, that should be built on, its been festering there long enough.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been saying for a while that while the ProJo gets urban issues right in its editorials, it seeming can't act urbanly on its own land...

- Garris

Actually, I think the spot AriPVD was talking about was the lot next to the Duck Tour stop, behind the Parkade Garage. That would be better suited to a tall (20+ story buidling) than the Journal Lot as it fronts Kennedy Plaza, and has the Westin, the Biltmore, and the new Westin tower as precedent for tall buildings in that area.

The Journal Lot is more suited to something 10 stories or less to fit into the streetscape that exists on Fountain and Washington Streets, though I certainly wouldn't oppose a proposal for something taller without consideration.

There's a big parking lot between the Biltmore and the ProJo that could use developing.  28+ story tower could easily be accomodated there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you mean the parking lot at the corners of Eddy/Fountain/Union & Worcester St I have already posted that Nortek once considered building it's headquarters there back in the '80's. But I'm not sure who owns the lot. I do know Avis rents a lot of the spots there.

Just checking---> By the Christmas/Chanukah season.. Oneten and The Westin2 will have broken ground, correct? And the Hiltion conversion/renovation will be well underway (not including the tower)??

I hope so.. then I can take a deeep breath and just watch.

Just checking---> By the Christmas/Chanukah season.. Oneten and The Westin2 will have broken ground, correct? And the Hiltion conversion/renovation will be well underway (not including the tower)??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Site prep has begun at the Westin, I would expect a literal groundbreaking next week (however the official ceremony is on Sept. 8). OneTen looks to be breaking ground in September, however I wouldn't be surprised to see prep work in the next week or two. There doing something already at the Holiday Inn/Hilton, I would expect work to be well underway by the end of December.

According to the website (which they enjoy updating  and I enjoy checking daily), OneTen will come in at 520 feet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"At 520-ft, the tallest building in the smallest state"

Nice tag line. It seems to be begging for some competition!

"At 520-ft, the tallest building in the smallest state

Nice tag line.  It seems to be begging for some competition!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stupid tagline...typical Rhode Isdland "small" mentality. The attention should be on being the tallest building in Providence - that is the attraction - not Rhode Island.

By the way, the usable height is 430 feet...then 90 feet of spire. Someone can do better!!

According to the website (which they enjoy updating  and I enjoy checking daily), OneTen will come in at 520 feet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes...but really only 430 feet of building and 90 feet of spire. I do hope it gets someone thinking of a building over 440 feet (then they can add a 90 foot spire!)

Yes...but really only 430 feet of building and 90 feet of spire. I do hope it gets someone thinking of a building over 440 feet (then they can add a 90 foot spire!)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Shhh, you're gonna get the Hartforders riled up when they find out we beat Hartford21 with a spire.

:ph34r:

Shhh, you're gonna get the Hartforders riled up when they find out we beat Hartford21 with a spire.

:ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here I am, right on cue. :) I'm not sure many Hartford forumers know about this tower yet. Make no mistake, I'm sure there will be many debates on which tower legitimately takes the title.

Perhaps we could make a thread in the New England section devoted to a civilized debate on the "tallest apartment tower in New England". Boston could be in on it too, I've heard they have apartment towers in the 400ft range as well.

So, is the roof of OTW going to be 393ft tall or 430ft tall? Regardless, I must admit you guys have one fine looking tower there.

well i wouldn't know but i thought i read in earlier postings that it will 440' and 80' from the tower

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes...we have had a 440 with a 80 tower and 430 with a 90 foot tower. The website rendering looks like 430 and 90 but by late September we should have the exact numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived