POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

Remember I told you that BlueChip Properties told me (as a inquiry response)that they were increasing the height from 360' to 393' (32 to 35 floors) and a lighted tower bringing it to "well over 400 feet"?

Any confirmation of renderings of the new plans yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to this mornings projo, 110 will be 33 strories.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just looking back a few pages in this thread and I came up with another question B)

Can any of these projects that have not broken ground yet, but been approved, be cancelled or back out/lower heights and floors if they want to?

More specifically... lets say that before OTW has its groundbreaking, what if the developers decide that the market can't support this highrise??

just looking back a few pages in this thread and I came up with another question  B)

Can any of these projects that have not broken ground yet, but been approved, be cancelled or back out/lower heights and floors if they want to?

More specifically... lets say that before OTW has its groundbreaking, what if the developers decide that the market can't support this highrise??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, sure they can. There is no government monies or contract with anyone but the developer group.

I can just tell you that when I inquired last month relative to OTW they replied in an email that it was being increased to 35 floors and in height to "well over 400 feet" and that I would recieve a info package in a couple of months.

I see the rising price of materials (steel) more of an issue than demand. We will see very soon as they move to the approval stage.

• 2 weeks later...

probably 415-ish.. which I think will look a little wierd. Having 3 high-rises @ about the same height just doesnt seem right.. I wish OTW would surpass 450 and be closer to 500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea I agree- once we have 3 buildings at 400-430 feet it will look strange on our skyline. If it was up to me i would do 40-45 stories and 450-500 ft.

I looked at the drawings, 110 is 520ft to the top of the spire.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you see/hear this?

That would far exceed Hartford21 as the tallest residential structure in New England (Hartford21 is 440feet). Oh, it would also be a new tallest for Providence.

probably 415-ish.. which I think will look a little wierd. Having 3 high-rises @ about the same height just doesnt seem right.. I wish OTW would surpass 450 and be closer to 500

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Supposing for a second that OTW isn't really going to be 520, I don't think it will be that odd to have 3 buildings (OTW, Superman ( :P ), and the Hospital Trust Tower) all around the same height. With the Superman Building's spire, it already looks a different height from Hospital Trust and OTW promises to have a spire. Also, OTW will be a block away from the other two, creating a foreshortening effect from whichever angle it's view from. It won't be like Boston's collection of mostly flat roofed buildings lined up right next to each other.

Supposing for a second that OTW isn't really going to be 520, I don't think it will be that odd to have 3 buildings (OTW, Superman ( :P ), and the Hospital Trust Tower) all around the same height. With the Superman Building's spire, it already looks a different height from Hospital Trust and OTW promises to have a spire. Also, OTW will be a block away from the other two, creating a foreshortening effect from whichever angle it's view from. It won't be like Boston's collection of mostly flat roofed buildings lined up right next to each other.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are right about Boston- Looking Northeast from 93 North past Dorchester, you just see that straight line of buildings. Providence's skyline will be much more unique.

I looked at the detailed drawings this moring and its 520ft to the top of the SPIRE. The render on page one looked the same as ( but not cropped, maybe some very slight changes )

110a.jpg

but the detailed drawings clearly marked the building with a spire reaching 520ft.

The stone covered 4 floors you see in the render will be above ground parking. The upper floors of the building had two apts around around 3,300sq and the other around 3,000 sqf besides the pent house which was the entire floor. However this may or not be for living it was not marked. Sometimes the "pent house" will hold all the buildings utilities.

I looked at the detailed drawings this moring and its 520ft to the top of the SPIRE. The render on page one looked the same as ( but not cropped )

110a.jpg

but the detailed drawings clearly marked the building with a spire reaching 520ft.

The stone covered 4 floors you see in the render will be above ground parking. The top of the building had two apts around around 3,300sq and the other around 3,000 sqf. biggest Apt was 3,200 sqft besides the pent house which was the entire floor. However this may or maynot be for living it was not marked. Sometimes the "pent house" will hold all the buildings utilities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where did you find the drawings- what day's Journal?

These would be the blueprints of the building for budgeting. They represent this point in time and with any building could change. As of right now the building is 520ft to the top of the spire.

I am not willing to disclose my access to the project.

Now that we're hearing about OTW being 520 feet, lets say the spire is 20 feet, I am assuming we will be able to reach 40-45 stories. I checked the site and they are still saying the outdated info- 32 stories. Anyone have any new info on this?

Now that we're hearing about OTW being 520 feet, lets say the spire is 20 feet, I am assuming we will be able to reach 40-45 stories.  I checked the site and they are still saying the outdated info- 32 stories.  Anyone have any new info on this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is anyone wondering why their adding floors. Are the numbers not adding up? Will adding more units make this a more feasible project? Not making the numbers work is what killed One Ten Park Row.

Is anyone wondering why their adding floors. Are the numbers not adding up? Will adding more units make this a more feasible project? Not making the numbers work is what killed One Ten Park Row.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My guess is that if the numbers were not adding up, they'd be scaling back construction costs and building a smaller building, not adding to the costs. I also think they want to be known as THE premier living space in the city, one way to distinguish yourself is to be the one to set the new height record.

There was a journal article several weeks ago about the cost of steel really messing with the budgets for these huge projects, and that some are considering going concrete instead of steel. This could save millions in construction costs, and have the added benefit of freeing up some money to add on floors.

Yes, I think if costs were a big concern right now, they would not be adding a superfluous spire.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi guys-

As of 3 days ago I was told directly by the principals that this bldg would be 35 floors and over 500'...The problem is it does not add up. 35 floors (parking and residential) equals approx 395 feet. To get to over 500' would require a tower spire of over 100 feet!!!

My initial info from them a month ago was "well over 400 feet" - that makes sense with 395' plus say a 50' spire topping out at 445'. That would make it the tallest and within scale.

Something is not right. I will check again.

Hi guys-

As of 3 days ago I was told directly by the principals that this bldg would be 35 floors and over 500'...The problem is it does not add up. 35 floors (parking and residential) equals approx 395 feet. To get to over 500' would require a tower spire of over 100 feet!!!

My initial info from them a month ago was "well over 400 feet" - that makes sense with 395' plus say a 50' spire topping out at 445'. That would make it the tallest and within scale.

Something is not right. I will check again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea- I think a spire 1/5 of the building height wouldn't really look good :unsure:

Archived