POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

I don't care when they start building the actual tower, but could they get started on tearing down the Buck-a-Book already? I walked by the other day and there was a big piece of the trim from the roof and some other detritus in the sidewalk. It wasn't like a brick, but it would have hurt had it actually hit someone. And that cracked plate glass window is a lawsuit just waiting to happen (Cotuit hatches clever plan to go stand under it).

2005-0918-oneten001.jpg

2005-0918-oneten002.jpg

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey cotuit u wouldnt be able to post the picture that was in today's projo (9-23) would you??... look at the back of the last page in the business section and u will see in my opinion, the best picture i've seen of 110. please trty to post it or anyone who can because i can't... :(

I have the ad. I'll try to take a photo of it tomorrow (I don't have a scanner). It's a great looking building.

- Garris

I have the ad. I'll try to take a photo of it tomorrow (I don't have a scanner). It's a great looking building.

- Garris

I've scanned it. It's a beautiful render! (Sorry my scanner got fooled trying to correct the colors. Since it was a full page ad, I had to scan in two parts and join the picture manually)

110WProJoAd292305.jpg

not to nit-pick away at these renders.. but the aerial view and this ^^ view of OTW have different heights for that outdoor garden/roof area. I doubt it matters though

I'm delirious that we are getting such a beautiful addition to the Providence skyline. Other cities would kill for a development like this. Who cares what level the rooftop gardens are on??

Yeah, 110 and Westin 2 together on the skyline are going to look great. Neither of these two designs have some of the head scratching elements of, say, G-Tech or Waterplace. They're both really solid, really attract contemporary skyscrapers that will look great for decades to come.

Now you know why I was so sad to see the Hilton Tower "delayed," as can you image three top draw skyscrapers spanning the skyline from the CBD, to the Biltmore, to the highway? Now that would have been incredible, and will be if the Hilton tower happens.

Until then, we'll just have to bask in these two excellent towers :).

- Garris

hey cotuit u wouldnt be able to post the picture that was in today's projo (9-23) would you??... look at the back of the last page in the business section and u will see in my opinion, the best picture i've seen of 110. please trty to post it or anyone who can because i can't... :(

Oneten has added a rendering of what the buildings facade will look like from Webosset St. It's the same pic that was in the journal. Nice!

Oneten has added a rendering of what the buildings facade will look like from Webosset St. It's the same pic that was in the journal. Nice!

110Weybosset.jpg

That brick building butting up against Turks Head is new construction. Currently there is a dingy little, ill-used pocket park at that location.

Does anyone else see echoes of Frankfurt's DG Bank tower in OTW's design?

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=386349

http://www.skyscraperphotos.com/cit/efka/fkl008.htm

Not a bad thing. I've always admired that building. :)

Nice find. I've never seen that building before now. They look like near twins!

In reality, there's nothing very original about 110. There are lots of buildings in Chicago, Vancouver, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc that all have echos of it. It's very much in line with modern skyscraper design.

While maybe not giving it an award for being groundbreaking, it is very attractive and merges many current elements of contempory tower design very nicely. To my eyes, it's sleek, balanced, and it most importantly, it looks classy which, to also to my eyes, the G-Tech building and Waterplace towers, for all their merits, don't.

Again, I think the CBD is going to have a great skyline when 110 is done. Between the big 4-6 towers in the CBD (and even better if you include the Westin towers), we'll have a singular prototypical example (for better or worse) of almost every "school" of skyscraper design from nearly the turn of the 20th century to the present. This is unlike some other metros, which are heavy in one school of design or one era or another.

- Garris

Nice find. I've never seen that building before now. They look like near twins!

In reality, there's nothing very original about 110. There are lots of buildings in Chicago, Vancouver, Seattle, Minneapolis, etc that all have echos of it. It's very much in line with modern skyscraper design.

While maybe not giving it an award for being groundbreaking, it is very attractive and merges many current elements of contempory tower design very nicely. To my eyes, it's sleek, balanced, and it most importantly, it looks classy which, to also to my eyes, the G-Tech building and Waterplace towers, for all their merits, don't.

Again, I think the CBD is going to have a great skyline when 110 is done. Between the big 4-6 towers in the CBD (and even better if you include the Westin towers), we'll have a singular prototypical example (for better or worse) of almost every "school" of skyscraper design from nearly the turn of the 20th century to the present. This is unlike some other metros, which are heavy in one school of design or one era or another.

- Garris

I agree...with the Westin 2 and OTW the "row" will have been broken, adding depth to Downcity. In addition, it should open the door to more depth over the next 24 months - hopefully with Grant's Block being 20-25 floors, the hotel/condo off Memorial at 15-18, movement south towards 195 (a Citizens at 25-35?), and the western side of the Power Block (a coupkle of 27-30s). Momentum counts in this business as well as sports.

i wonder in this rendering if the building is 440' or 430' because of the angle, the tower looks shorter, but who knows :whistling:

I might be looking at it wrong, but I don't think the highest part of the roof is visible in the latest rendering. If you look at the aerial view and the view from Waterplace, the roof has a series of setbacks, and seems to be maybe 20-30 ft higher on the Westminster side than on this one.

I might be looking at it wrong, but I don't think the highest part of the roof is visible in the latest rendering. If you look at the aerial view and the view from Waterplace, the roof has a series of setbacks, and seems to be maybe 20-30 ft higher on the Westminster side than on this one.

I believe you are correct...the Weybosset side view does not depict the last tower segment (2 floors) facing Westminster - as I have it, the full structure is topped off by two smaller segments (this view only shows the one). As to 430' or 440'; it appears that it is 430' , then the spire of 90'.

I believe you are correct...the Weybosset side view does not depict the last tower segment (2 floors) facing Westminster - as I have it, the full structure is topped off by two smaller segments (this view only shows the one). As to 430' or 440'; it appears that it is 430' , then the spire of 90'.

so that means hartford 21 is bigger.... :(

Archived