POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

I know I have problems seeing pictures sometimes b/c i use firefox, and then I just simply go into IE and then i can see them.

(am i the only firefox user who has that problem?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use FF, and have no problem w/pictures. The ONLY time I have to fire up IE is to check out the Masonic Temple web cam, (b/c the use activeX instead of Java).

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I have problems seeing pictures sometimes b/c i use firefox, and then I just simply go into IE and then i can see them.

(am i the only firefox user who has that problem?)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

pLEASE SAY THAT AGAIN IN ENGLISH. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SEE THE IMAGES. I GREW UP WITH THE ROTARY TELEPHONE.

pLEASE SAY THAT AGAIN IN ENGLISH. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SEE THE IMAGES. I GREW UP WITH THE ROTARY TELEPHONE.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Firefox is a different web browser. He is saying that sometimes when he uses Firefox it doesn't display pictures properly. When that happens he uses Internet Explorer instead and it displays the pictures just fine.

it's 35 stories inclusive of the garage/lobby, etc. then there's the spire. this is all still a moving target and until full drawings are completed, things may change.

interesting everyone seems to be pretty positive towards the new design of the Freedom Tower. There was an interesting article in the International Tribune last week - a rather critical one and I have to agree - even as someone who loves both modern and classic architecture. I find the new design to be particularly cold, unemotional and extremely bland - especially when called the "Freedom Tower" and on such an important site. I liked the original scheme of about 2 yrs ago - the one long before David Childs and Silverstein changed it around.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an invite to some cocktail party being hosted by the 110 crowd. In the invite is a somewhat newer rendering with a taller building reaching about as high as the Industrial Bank Building and then a spire reaching to 500+ feet. It's updated on the website if you go to www.onetenprov.com. Here's the invite copy:

Finally a place in Providence that combines culture, luxury, ease and home at one address.

ONE TEN will be the tallest building in the state of Rhode Island, setting the standard for luxury living.

There

hmmm, for some reason I think this new rendering screams "miami style" design ... even more than the intercontinental towers did. At least from the point of view that shows the building's balconies/brick facade.

And I thought the spire/antenna was going to be 'spiraled'. it looks pretty much like the prudential building's spire in boston.

i cant picture it in providences skyline, it screams miami not providence. I need some more renderings, see how it will look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I agree, it looks like something from Miami or San Diego maybe. I like it a lot though, it'll be good to have something different on the skyline. I can't wait for it to go up.

i had that same feeling about the miami-ness... but if you go back to that full downtown rendering with westin2, parcel2, gtech, and OTW.. that rendering is from the opposite angle and shows the building without the balcony facade with all of that brick.

I still like it. The render on the website is without any color or depth, and I feel the horizontal "Miami-ness" is way, way less prominent than, say, the Waterplace condos... I guess we all have to remember, though, that these towers look Miami-ish or SD-ish because they are residential towers, which are common in those tropical cities but rare in NE cities (outside of NYC)...

In all, though, it represents a contemporary type of skyscraper design (and a good version of it), and it'll fit in well with our current towers and their varying architecture types. I still maintain that our skyline will be virtually a perfect skyscraper architecture history tour, from the very early history all the way up through the present!

- Garris

I still like it.  The render on the website is without any color or depth, and I feel the horizontal "Miami-ness" is way, way less prominent than, say, the Waterplace condos...  I guess we all have to remember, though, that these towers look Miami-ish or SD-ish because they are residential towers, which are common in those tropical cities but rare in NE cities (outside of NYC)...

In all, though, it represents a contemporary type of skyscraper design (and a good version of it), and it'll fit in well with our current towers and their varying architecture types.  I still maintain that our skyline will be virtually a perfect skyscraper architecture history tour, from the very early history all the way up through the present!

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally agree....while new to Providence and almost all northeast cities it will be an impressive addition, adding depth to Downcity, and the variety of the skyline. With the Westin and other buildinings, it will be a New England's best skyline in 2007.

36, but it's not 500+ feet tall.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One Ten adds height by the built in garages, the glass upper facade, and of course the light tower (althought I was hoping for a much more thick spire type light). Only Boston will have a taller building.

One Ten adds height by the built in garages, the glass upper facade, and of course the light tower (althought I was hoping for a much more thick spire type light). Only Boston will have a taller building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hartford's tallest is 531 feet (City Place). Are we expecting OneTen to best that? I was thinking OneTen was at 520. Hartford has two or three buildings taller than 520.

City Place is just taller than Boston's 10th tallest (I'm assuming that makes it 10th tallest in New England).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel that the spire design may change. I mean, can't something like that be altered even after groundbreaking??

I wish for a thicker.. swirly spire!!!!! with rainbow illumination! ;)

Hartford's tallest is 531 feet (City Place). Are we expecting OneTen to best that? I was thinking OneTen was at 520. Hartford has two or three buildings taller than 520.

City Place is just taller than Boston's 10th tallest (I'm assuming that makes it 10th tallest in New England).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm...I did not realize that City Place was that tall. Well, we can wait until the Citizens Place at 550'!

Hmmm...I did not realize that City Place was that tall. Well, we can wait until the Citizens Place at 550'!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Beyond pinching myself that Providence is getting this type of development, I'm still doubly surprised that Hartford is attracting this kind of interest. Hartford is smaller than Providence, without many of Providence's assets (in my opinion).

Again, I'm not really concerned with height. If Hartford has the tallest, fine... I want sustainable, vibrant new communities downtown. If we get that, the numbers will be academic...

- Garris

Archived