POSTPONED: 110 Westminster Street

Another good article to link Frankie... The tone of the article is somewhat stream-of-consciousness, however. Exactly where are we left? Did they indeed save several of the murals?

"DuFault coated several paintings with a varnish, then successfully peeled them off the plaster with an Exacto knife."

So, are they done? Are there more to save?

- Garris

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another good article to link Frankie... The tone of the article is somewhat stream-of-consciousness, however. Exactly where are we left? Did they indeed save several of the murals?

"DuFault coated several paintings with a varnish, then successfully peeled them off the plaster with an Exacto knife."

So, are they done? Are there more to save?

- Garris

http://www.projo.com/opinion/columnists/co...s.17f71b5d.html

For all this talk of finding a new home for the murals, I wonder if it would be feasible to incorporate them into the new building. I haven't seen them, but it sounds like they might look good decorating the lobby or maybe the new grocery store. Reusing them in One Ten would be a nice gesture to tie the building to the history of its site.

For all this talk of finding a new home for the murals, I wonder if it would be feasible to incorporate them into the new building. I haven't seen them, but it sounds like they might look good decorating the lobby or maybe the new grocery store. Reusing them in One Ten would be a nice gesture to tie the building to the history of its site.

But how much time, effort and expence do they want to spend on this. How long will this delay demolition?

That's a great idea. You should forward that to the developers or the ProJo if you haven't already.

I saw workers putting signage and graphics on the OneTen sales office on the Weybosset side of the Turks Head Building.

I'm really glad they are filling that streetfront, as I think it's been empty for quite some time otherwise...

- Garris

That's a great idea. You should forward that to the developers or the ProJo if you haven't already.

Agree - especially with the idea of adding them into the grocery store. I'm not sure about putting the murals in the lobby of OTW as it the building trends towards a more modern design. The murals looked tradionalist from what I saw in the ProJo.

Over the past three weeks have talked with the developers of 110 several times about the discussion on height and the concerns about construction. The plans are for construction to start this year. As far as height, the developer is toying with the idea of going back to the zoning board and asking for more height. Has discussed it with his financial people and they aren't concerned. So we'll see what happens.

Maybe we'll see it structurally taller than Hartford21, rather than winning the height race with a 'flag pole.' :P

I think we're all happy to hear the possibility of more height, but still stunned that a developer feels they can finance it here. The fact that they are talking about going even higher would indicate that the project is on pretty solid footing, and we shouldn't worry about any chance that it won't happen in the 11th hour (barring some crazy hit to the national economy).

Maybe we'll see it structurally taller than Hartford21, rather than winning the height race with a 'flag pole.' :P

I think we're all happy to hear the possibility of more height, but still stunned that a developer feels they can finance it here. The fact that they are talking about going even higher would indicate that the project is on pretty solid footing, and we shouldn't worry about any chance that it won't happen in the 11th hour (barring some crazy hit to the national economy).

Actually - a request at this time to go higher should raise serious doubts. A reason they would like to go higher is because the cost to build this thing is getting so outrageous - the only way they can make sense of it is to build more floors/more units. Considering they are shopping for a GC at this hour means they'll be going into the ground (maybe) without a Gauranteed Max Price at a time when construction prices are epicly high.

Actually - a request at this time to go higher should raise serious doubts. A reason they would like to go higher is because the cost to build this thing is getting so outrageous - the only way they can make sense of it is to build more floors/more units. Considering they are shopping for a GC at this hour means they'll be going into the ground (maybe) without a Gauranteed Max Price at a time when construction prices are epicly high.

I bought this point up several months ago and some on this board told me I was wrong, so who knows.

That's because the most important issue on this board has been whether or not OneTen would be 6" taller than some other building.

First off what is CG or GC?

Is there any reason to think they will not build 110?

I think your getting the wrong idea of why people whould want this building to be 6" taller then some other building!

I assume General Contractor is what GC stands for.

On the height issue, it does seem pithy that the argument is over whether 110 will be taller than another building or not. The fact that it is bening built at all is enough and the fact that regardless of whether it breaks records for the region or not, it IS a tall building that will change the skyline. Lets keep it in perspective here.

I also see going back to planning to ask for more height is quite the indicator that the latests numbers are

not coming out right for the developer and they are looking to get some better profit guarantees.

I assume General Contractor is what GC stands for.

I also see going back to planning to ask for more height is quite the indicator that the latests numbers are

not coming out right for the developer and they are looking to get some better profit guarantees.

When this project went from 32 to 35 stories I brought this point up and someone here suggested that it was just the developer adding more units instead of making the numbers work. I don't care how high the building is. If the 21 in Hartford is higher than so what!

hey.. i know we hate to label projects "in progress" when they haven't broken ground yet and all that jinxing crap. But god forbid!-->in the event that 110 dies out... will any of the powerblock proposals be pushed up to a much closer date.. ie: the hilton tower, 55 broadway, atwells site?

Now 110 would die out due to lack of funding I'm guessing.. not over saturation of the condo market.. so that void in condos could be filled with one of the powerblock proposals.

My next question is.. would the city be better off having a built-out/completed powerblock in place of 110? Not to mention the renovated dunk by the time its all completed.

What types of different scenarios can you guys n' gals see play out?

I understand that this is all "what if" talk.. but i'm curious and I think it could make for some good convo. :)

everyone have a great halloween!

Archived