Statler Hotel Demolition Progress

Allan

The people mover will break if it ran over a penny.  That dang fragile artifact of a machine.  I'm quite suprised the program software that runs it is in COBOL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hott damn i gotta try that lol

go to grab out my wallet and a whole bunch of changes flies onto the track.... oh well not my fault.. I cant go past the yellow line

:rofl:

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking to one of the guys who works on the People Mover & he told me that the trains break when people hold the doors open. It sucks when that happens too, because then you're stuck going 3mph until you get to the next stop.

Well, the emergency walkway is in the middle of the tracks, so you would walk down that, perhaps fall into the electric track, and die that way...THEN you would fall over the edge 20 feet below. It's really a horror story waiting to be written! ;)

http://www.urbanrail.net/am/detr/Detroit-track_1.JPG

The blue portion is the emergency walkway.

And by the way, that "old" photo of the Statler looks so healthy and strong.

There are instructions inside some of the cars that instruct you to walk on the blue rail if the train stops & you have to evacuate it. Most of the cars don't have that though, since they have been covered with advertisments both inside & out.

20170399_858a044109_o.jpg

I really like that PM picture of the track.  Im assuming that was taken from the inside.  Perhaps we could convince Kwame or City Council to take a stroll up there just to check things out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I got that same shot:

The pictures of the stone ornament remind me of the book Goodbye History, Hello Hamburger by Ada Louise Huxtable. The cover of that book shows the landfill where the stone ornament for Penn Station was taken to after its demolition. Quite sad, if you ask me.

Can someone more savy with Detroit development tell me why more things aren't happening with these older buildings? Is it economic impediments (i.e. too large of a scale, or too far deterioriated of a building, or no market draw) or political impediments (Kwame & crew) that are holding up redevelopment of some of these old buildings?

Is Detroit going through the downtown loft craze that we're going through here in Grand Rapids?

Nitro

Yep...it was worth the climb up the stairs (there were no elevators working yet). I feel sorry for the people who move into the Kales. They will have to look at that massive hole in the city's urban fabric. I can't say that I'd want get up in the morning and see a parking lot of that size. It would remind me way too much of the suburbs....

Archived