Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be a perfect location for a Korean grocer a la Madison Ave.  Already vented and everything.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I always wondered how something funky, like an Asian-American market, would do in a location like that. Newbury St has one as well...

- Garris

Where's that Westminster shoe store? I'm waiting... I'd really like to be able for once, to patronize a Downcity shop (sadly I can't afford Design Within Reach  :cry: ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Design Within Reach is my favorite store in the whole wide world. Okay, I said the about Restoration Hardware when it first opened too, but this time I mean it! Bought me a bed and lighting. I won't tell you what it cost!

did anyone go?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did. It was really nice, they had live music, and one of the farmers had a baby goat that was wandering around. I got an apple and some rolls for lunch. They closed at 3pm, so I didn't buy much because I was there on my lunch break. One stand was cooking up something, but there was a big line there, so I didn't bother to see what it was. Tazza had a table and was selling non-alcoholic beverages. Next week, when they begin closing at 6pm, I'll go after work and pick up some things to take home with me. I think we'll see more farmers as time goes on too, one organic group was surveying people to find out what we'd like them to carry (dry goods).

Went into Sony yesterday. Didn't buy anything but I see them doing pretty well here. It's filled with overpriced plasma tvs (some over 16,000 bucks) but there are enough "average" consumer products there to make them pleanty of profit. The flashy plasmas draw you in and you end up buying a universal remote or a digital camera... not a bad gimick. I also don't think it'll interfere much with B&O down the hall which makes all its money on full home audio/video systems. I welcome them but like most of you, I wish it were downcity.

I don't see why sony, and even apple, can't maybe move from the mall to downcity in a few yrs or so.. when things are kickin'.    Is that unrealistic?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Probably... These are stores which often have retail "formulas" that include mall/plaza/outlet center locations. While there are a few "flagship" type stores in city centers, our beloved little Downcity has a way to go before it has the exposure and foot traffic to support those... Maybe in 10-15 years?

- Garris

I don't see why sony, and even apple, can't maybe move from the mall to downcity in a few yrs or so.. when things are kickin'.    Is that unrealistic?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Apple would be more likely to do it than Sony. It seems that Apple was holding out for a 1st floor location, which they didn't get, and the space they did get seems a bit small. If development Downcity plays out right, and if Apple can find the perfect location, I can see them migrating, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think Apple would be more likely to do it than Sony. It seems that Apple was holding out for a 1st floor location, which they didn't get, and the space they did get seems a bit small. If development Downcity plays out right, and if Apple can find the perfect location, I can see them migrating, but I'm not holding my breath.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it has alreay been stated somewhere here on this board or elsewhere that the main purpose of these stores is not sell merchandise or make a profit, but to spread the product name.

I think it has alreay been stated somewhere here on this board or elsewhere that the main purpose of these stores is not sell merchandise or make a profit, but to spread the product name.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is the main purpose of Apple's retail outlets, to spread the product name .. but sony , as stated in the paper, has more than enough affordable products for the everyday shopper, so I think that store will depend on profit more than Apple.

Either way.. the mall is still the best location to spread the word, or make profit.

My wife is vacationing in Portland Oregon with the kids while I remodel the kitchen. Today she got talking with the woman who is going to be Managing the new American Apparel location downtown. The lady said that they are currently scouting a second location. They were interested in Thayer Street, but were not able to find anything appropriate. She offered my wife a job (I guess she has enough tattoos to pass for hipster :-) ) and also asked what the other hip neighborhoods where in Providence. Sarah told her that the West Side was the up and coming hipster area or if they wanted the college crowd the general thayer area was the established part of town for such things. Man, I would love for a hip company like American Apparel to take a gamble on the West end.

Liam

Man, I would love for a hip company like American Apparel to take a gamble on the West end.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would too, but where do you think the West Side's retail area is going to develop? There's the 'Westminster Crossing' area at Dean Street, where Abode and White Electric are, but there really aren't many storefronts there. Broadway seems like a logical area, but again, not really very many storefronts. I'm thinking Olneyville Square is where it's going to be at (&/or Elmwood Ave./Broad Street). But I don't think Olneyville Square is ready for a national retailer yet.

Very true. I honestly dont know where the retail will end up coming together. Olneyville is indeed the obvious spot, but it just seems to be really far off in the future before it's ready. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for more storefronts along Westminster. There are those 3 gas station buildings in a row near Dexter and Parade - I would love if one or two of them got razed and had storefronts in their place.

Liam

Archived