Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

Thats correct, the owner of Mills is opening the restaurant.  Look for construction to begin on a new restaurant in the Kestral space soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting about the Kestral space... The previous owner of Kestral was quoted as saying after the closing something to the effect that he didn't think the theater crowd alone could support a high-end restaurant there, and I'd tend to agree right now. Kestral was pretty pricey. Hopefully, the next restaurant will be a bit more neighborhood oriented and perhaps a hint more affordable...

- Garris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Plus now they have that new place next doors that is about to open ( maybe drawing more people on that side of town ) and the 97 new lofts that are about to open wont hurt. Its a nice building and a good spot if they can just get people. ( oh yeah dont forget hotel providence )

That place looks like another mallified craphole to me.. anyone remember when Steves was where tealuxe is now?  If I remember correctly they did they "mix in" thing years ago and now Coldstone is doing the same? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember Steves - it was a crappy sub-division of the D'angelos chain if memory serves. That spot where Tealuxe is had so much turnover. Im surprised that Tealuxe has lasted at all. My favorite was that crappy corporate record store. How on earth did they think they would make it when In your Ear, Tom's, and fast forward had all the bases covered?

I hope you are right about Thayer eventually bouncing back. Im skeptical, but I long for the Thayer ST of my youth. At least we have Nice Slice now :-)

Liam

I heard not good things about Gracie's. Too expensive, not really that good. Anyone go yet?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I went to their previous location with their previous chef, and it was excellent (but expensive). One of my top 5 meals in Providence. BTW, a link to my "best of Providence restaurants" is here on the Chowhound website... Feel free to throw in your own $0.02!

Garris' best Providence restaurants

- Garris

It is the spot on the end near the window / open space

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, are they building it toward the Winter Garden?? 224 is on the other side, currently Express. That's going to be a little boutique store then. :(

226 is currently open (according to the mall map) between Swatch and Restoration Hardware.

Does anyone know what has opened up at 232 Westminster St? I drove by last night and it was packed, inside and out as if it were a grand opening. There were numerous TV monitors in the windows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its a temporary space for the ProvFlux exhibition... There were a lot of great performances there this past weekend. Check out http://www.pipsworks.com/. I guarantee UP people will find it interesting. The show is up for a little while longer.

Francis from Cornish says there is someone moving into that space permanently once the PIPS people are done. Dunno who, though.

Its alittle hard to figure out from the map but if you walk the 2nd floor I think its alot more clear. You can see how they are making a small spot into a much larger one. Its right after you past RHardware on the left.

I'm not sure how much of this is a repeat, but the Kestral location near the Trinity Rep is going to become a French Brasserie owned by the Paragon folks from E. Greenwich.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No repeat. But I wish them luck, cause they will need it. Nothing that goes in there succeeds. This location use to be a bar and an adult bookstore. Since then, two restaurants have failed. The Empire and Kestral's. Just one of those places that can't make it, no matter what. Like 52 Pine St. That place has changed names/venues several times in the last 5 yrs.

Location is only part of the equation, at least in the case of Empire and Kestral. Empire closed because of dispute between the owners, not because the restaurant wasn't a success. Kestral suffered from an identity crisis and out of state ownership. You should know the whole story before you write anything off...

Location is only part of the equation, at least in the case of Empire and Kestral.  Empire closed because of dispute between the owners, not because the restaurant wasn't a success.  Kestral suffered from an identity crisis and out of state ownership.  You should know the whole story before you write anything off...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good point. I knew about Empire. That was a shame. I really liked that place. Perhaps with all of the projects planned or in the works for LaSalle Square will finally help bring more life to the area. AS220 is an inaluable asset there. To be honest, I'd love to see them do something with that space. It'll probably never happen, but a man can dream.

Did Urban Kitchen on Westminster close? Their windows are filthy, looks like someone puked on them, and there is a dead plant in the window.

Has anyone noticed the new sidewalk put in outside Gracies at Washington and Aborn? It's concrete with the aggregate showing, a small stone. Looks really nice, better than regular concrete, and more durable than decorative brick I assume. I think the city should adopt this style for new sidewalks.

What is 5ive? Next door to Gracies in the Harkness Building there are construction barricades surrounding the storefront with 5ive stenciled on it.

Where's that Westminster shoe store? I'm waiting... I'd really like to be able for once, to patronize a Downcity shop (sadly I can't afford Design Within Reach :cry: ).

I would guess they closed... a sign said gone for the holiday return monday until it was taken down.

Best I can tell 5ive is some kind of trendy furniture store. Far as the Westminster shoe store will be one of the empty spots on westminster ( im guessing; I have no idea where ) it could even be in Peerless. Don

Best I can tell 5ive is some kind of trendy furniture store.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A search for "5ive Furniture" brings up this ProJo article. Appears to be a gallery space that had some sort of housewares show going on recently. Looks like they are making their digs more permanent in the Harkness Building.

A search for just "5ive" brings up endless pages on some boy band in the UK and a club in Toronto.

Far as I know the current rental office for the wesminter lofts will become somekind of linens retail.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thrilling... :whistling: You know the issue we were discussing of how to draw people to Westminster? This isn't the answer...

- Garris

Archived