Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This should be interesting for Warwick Mall.  Stuck with a Macy's at both ends  :rofl:

I know one of them will be sold off  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

isnt this more reason to believe that maybe instead of 2 macy's stores withing a short short drive to one another, that the company would keep macy's in warwick.. and change providence to a bloomingdales?

isnt this more reason to believe that maybe instead of 2 macy's stores withing a short short drive to one another, that the company would keep macy's in warwick.. and change providence to a bloomingdales?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I hope we get a Bloomingdales at Providence Place rather Macys. Every Macys I've ever been to was terrible, including Herald Square in New York).

I'm happy for JCPenneys as there is no place affordable to shop for clothing that is easily accessible to me.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. I hope we get a Bloomingdales at Providence Place rather Macys. Every Macys I've ever been to was terrible, including Herald Square in New York).

I'm happy for JCPenneys as there is no place affordable to shop for clothing that is easily accessible to me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there's no reason it won't be bloomingdales (although i've had luck at macy's in trumbull, CT and herald square). i think they'd benefit more from competition for nordstrom than competition for jc penny.

I know from a reliable source that the Providence Filene's is on the short list for consideration of conversion to a Bloomingdale's store. That doesn't mean it's a done deal by any means, but we can keep our fingers crossed.

They're sure to have a Macys at Warwick (maybe two :lol: ) And the Emerald Square Filenes will likely become a Macys, the Providence market is covered pretty well with that. Bloomingdales would be the smart route. Especially if they only have a few Bloomingdales in New Enlgand. If Providence Place is one of 5 Bloomingdales in New England for example, people will make a special trip to Providence Place for it, rather than Macys' which are a dime a dozen, and soon to be a nickel a dozen.

Hmmmmmmmm  In Warwick, the Filiene's will become a Macy's and the Macy's store will be sold.  :wacko:  Why not keep the Macy's open and sell the Filene's and then convert the Filene's in PPM to a Bloomingdale's?  :angry:  Maybe the powers that be know more than us.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, I see why now. The Macy's store in Warwick is only 180,000 sq ft while the Filene's store is 309,000 sq ft. Meanwhile plans call for a Macy's at the Dartmouth, Emerald Sq, Silver City and Swansea mall's. That means six Macy's within a 25 mile radius of Providence. I quess it's been decided that Macy's is to be America's family store to shop. All this while there is only 1 Bloomingdale's in all of New England, that being at the Chestnut Hill Mall. Most of the Bloomingdale's are in the NY/NJ area. I hope the rumors AriPVD heard are true.

Oh, I see why now. The Macy's store in Warwick is only 180,000 sq ft while the Filene's store is 309,000 sq ft. Meanwhile plans call for a Macy's at the Dartmouth, Emerald Sq, Silver City and Swansea mall's. That means six Macy's within a 25 mile radius of Providence. I quess it's been decided that Macy's is to be America's family store to shop. All this while there is only 1 Bloomingdale's in all of New England, that being at the Chestnut Hill Mall.  Most of the Bloomingdale's are in the NY/NJ area. I hope the rumors AriPVD heard are true.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too, although the article clearly states that the PPM one is to become a Macy's... That's really too bad... Like Cotuit, I've never had a good Macy's experience. I have no idea why people like the Herald Sq one in NYC... It must be nostalgia, because that was the single most unpleasant retail clothing experience I've ever had.

Get this quote from the article: "You'll find that Macy's is a little more fashion-oriented . . . and a bit more upscale." Man, who did they talk to for that impression?

I'm disappointed. I would have rather seen a combo of Bloomingdales and Sears for PPM rather than Macy's and JC Penny's, two retailers I dislike. I have no idea where I'm going to shop, now... Maybe I'll shop at Nordstrom and just shop less to make up for the higher prices...

- Garris

I'm disappointed.  I would have rather seen a combo of Bloomingdales and Sears for PPM rather than Macy's and JC Penny's, two retailers I dislike.  I have no idea where I'm going to shop, now...  Maybe I'll shop at Nordstrom and just shop less to make up for the higher prices...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with that!

Hopefully the consolidation will draw another new major department store into the area. I'd like to see someone like Dillards come up north. Here's a map of there current locales:

dillardslocations.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So, does anyone know when JC Penny is coming to PPM?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the Providence Place website, soon. :rolleyes:

I would assume they would want to be in before Thanksgiving to catch Christmas sales, but who knows.

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can it get any worse!? Just when you thought parking at the Providence Place Mall garage was bad enough they have made it WORSE!!!!!!!!!!! As you decend the levels to exit the garage they've reversed the lanes of travel. In other words, when you drive down the ramps you NOW have to drive on the left side of the ramps, not the right side :wacko: This is going to cause many problems, and probably accidents too. The layout of the garage was problematic enough, we didn't need this. They painted over the old white arrows so..............................

GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can it get any worse!? Just when you thought parking at the Providence Place Mall garage was bad enough they have made it WORSE!!!!!!!!!!!  As you decend the levels to exit the garage they've reversed the lanes of travel. In other words, when you drive down the ramps you NOW have to drive on the left side of the ramps, not the right side  :wacko: This is going to cause many problems, and probably accidents too. The layout of the garage was problematic enough, we didn't need this. They painted over the old white arrows so..............................

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl:

I hate the mall garage. I refuse to park there. It took me an hour to get out one time, a full friggen hour. On the weekend, try parking on Capitol Hill in any of the lots where the gates are up, much easier and free.

Or you could ride RIPTA....

I know people, and I'm sure there are many others, who won't set foot in that mall again because of the garage. Whoever designed it should be hanged!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The garages have always been my biggest complaint about the mall (that is until word got our that L&T was turning into a JCP... but that's a different thread)

:rofl:

I hate the mall garage.  I refuse to park there.  It took me an hour to get out one time, a full friggen hour. On the weekend, try parking on Capitol Hill in any of the lots where the gates are up, much easier and free. 

Or you could ride RIPTA....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's well worth the walk. I sometimes try to get a space in front of the train station after 3pm when the meter maids go home :D The only reason why I even park in the garage is because I can park near the door that leads to the food court (suppose to be a fire exit) which I use to get to Dave & Buster's, IMAX and the movie theatre's. Food court employees use this door to go out for a smoke. Who knows, maybe Dave & Buster's designed the garage and it's actually part of their arcade games :rofl:

Archived