Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

The suit shop in the Narrow Building on Washington closed. A sign in the window says the space is for lease. I don't know what the leasing says about Paolino's desire to tear it down.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you mean the Continential Clothing store at the corners of Washington & Mathewson Sts? That's been there for years. Paolino badly wants to build a garage there, but for some reason the city council turned down his plans 2 yrs ago. He wanted to build a garage with an elevator to delivery cars to upper levels, like they do in NYC.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For some reason, and it seems I'm not alone on this, I can't stand Abercrombie and Fitch. I love the fact that its finding success in the mall but it's simply not for me. That said, I saw someone once wearing what's possibly the best T-shirt ever:

It was solid navy blue with big yellow letters.

The front  said "F#@k Abercrombie..."

While the back said "...& F#@k Fitch too!!"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

watch it!! ;) i used to work there.. and may work there once again!! :P

by word of mouth from managers at the AF stores.. and employees in banana republic..

abercrombie and fitch ranks 2nd in sales compared to other stores in the mall.. I think gap is number 1 or something... but hey, what do you expect when you sell jeans for $80 a pop!

and I KNOW this was lightyears ago.. but has the entire filenes, macy's, bloomingdales thing been resolved?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was an announcement yesterday that the merger has been approved. I don't think we know for sure yet what will happen at Providence Place. I would assume that Filene's will become a Macy's.

There was an announcement yesterday that the merger has been approved. I don't think we know for sure yet what will happen at Providence Place. I would assume that Filene's will become a Macy's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The shareholders have approved the sale. Hopefully we'll be looking at a Bloomingdale's.

The shareholders have approved the sale. Hopefully we'll be looking at a Bloomingdale's.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bloomingdales would be soooo much better than Macy's... Especially since we're getting a JC Penny in PP now...

- Garris

Clothing.  I believe it's A&F's version of Old Navy.

Hollister Homepage

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

actually ;)

-abercrombie is for kids and early teens

-hollister for teens (highschool)

-abercrombie and fitch for adults (college)

-rhuel is for post-college years.. to compete w/banana republic

rhuel is fairly new and only in top high end malls

.. it may be spelled rheul... ???

Financing and designing Grant's Block has been in the works for the last few months.  Demolition on the remaining buildings should take place before mid August.  Look forward to an unveiling of renderings soon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the update. I can see the location of this project to PPAC as a plus. I hope that someday I can run into Mr Chase so that I can truly express my feelings to him concerning his work downcity, since I've lived here all my life and love the city. I'm pretty sure that most people on this board are either from other places or are too young to know what a dive this city use to be. Years ago the downtown area was crowded with down and out bars where you took your life into your own hands when entering it. Boston's old combat zone had nothing on this city. Every city needs someone like him. His family seems to have a history of civic pride.

From what someone told me they were not making money ( I do not know what they were paying for rent or if they owned the building ) and that the other brewed awakings were supporting this one which was losing money.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

More bad news for downtown retail... :o:o:cry::cry:

- Garris

Archived