Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ISpeaking of... I'm not one for food court, but of all places did Latin Grill really have to leave?  That was the one place there I actually enjoyed. 

Ok... I'm done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Latin Grille was really great for a fast food place. I miss it too. In the journal story it mentioned that Zoinks was evicted and that there is a law suit of some sort over it. Does anyone know why they got the boot? My kids loved it there. It was our primary toy store after Uncle Sig's closed. Wayland Toy is too snotty, and I think I refuse to go to Creatoyvity on the name alone. CreaTOYvity?? Who thought THAt was a good idea??

Liam

In the journal story it mentioned that Zoinks was evicted and that there is a law suit of some sort over it. Does anyone know why they got the boot? My kids loved it there. It was our primary toy store after Uncle Sig's closed. Wayland Toy is too snotty, and I think I refuse to go to Creatoyvity on the name alone. CreaTOYvity?? Who thought THAt was a good idea??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have friends in the industry, and hear that they've been having problems paying their bills. Toy retailers have been hit very hard by big boxes like WalMart and Target over the last decade.

I like Station Park being there and remaining open, it's really the only large open space Downcity where people can assemble. Although I wouldn't mind seeing some small scale townhouses built right up against the train station behind the AmEx Building.

why not build a beautful park with flowering trees that bloom from flowers to leaves, and then just walkways, and benches, and fountains?!?!  that'd be hot and healthy for the city

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, indeed, the park needs a bit of work. I'd like to see it more defined around the edges with plantings and such.

Have there been any plans to build anything in that large grassy field between the Providence Place Mall and the Amtrak station, in front of the State House at Francis & Gaspee Sts?  It would be a great location for many stores and would fill in that huge empty space.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This was the first site that was considered for the Fleet Skating rink. The reason why it wasen't considered is because there are too many utility wire running under this land. So don't expect anything to be built on this property for some time to come.

There is something moving into the old cingular wireless location at Webosset & Dorrance, but unfortunately it looks like it will be another cell phone place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought that was Tim Hortons. Someone posted a city document recently that stated Tim Hortons was applying for a Dorrance Street location.

I agree they should do something to make it a nicer place but dont ever expect to see a building placed on it becasue law forbids such a thing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hmmm I don't really believe that there is a law forbidding construction there.

Actually, it has more to do with the train tracks that are directly below that grassy (well, usually more muddy than grassy) field. The field can't be built on because of the tracks below it.

They should do something nicer with it though, and I'm sure it could support the weight of some small trees and misc Urban park accessories.

I believe that the Tim Hortons will be on the corner of Dorrance and Westminster in the Westminster Square building.  The old Cingular space is becoming some kind of bar...what type, only Joe Paolino knows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does anyone know what's going on with the building at the SE corner of Dorrance and Weybosset, the really narrow one where Phillip Woolf used to be? It's been vacant for a very long time.

Does anyone know what's going on with the building at the SE corner of Dorrance and Weybosset, the really narrow one where Phillip Woolf used to be? It's been vacant for a very long time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good question... That's a very cool looking building, being so narrow, but I always imagined that limited its usage. I'll try to post a photo of it later (I think I have one).

- Garris

sorry.. i have another question about Sony :) I mentioned before how they only have 17 stores in the country .. and they are now putting a store in Providence before other major cities.. such as atlanta, miami, and phili.. why do we think this is? I'm very curious about it..

sorry.. i have another question about Sony :) I mentioned before how they only have 17 stores in the country .. and they are now putting a store in Providence before other major cities.. such as atlanta, miami, and phili.. why do we think this is? I'm very curious about it..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Providence actually has a very large metropolitan population. There are more people in proximity to Providence (I forget the exact numbers and exact distances, it's something like 8 million people in x number of square miles) than there are to Boston. With the mall almost literally on the highway, and this large potential population, and the upscale reputation of the mall, it's a pretty good place to be. I'm not sure why it is seen as being better at the moment than place like Atlanta and Philadelphia (I assume these other cities are on the boards, they just got the space in Providence first).

Mall stores generally have a rather quick turn-around for build-out. There's no structual work to be done, so it's just a matter of designing to the space and getting in the fixtures and merchandise. I assume an electronics store like Sony or Apple has slightly more work to do in the electrical area, and with fire code regulations and inspections, that could slow it down a bit. 3-4 months maybe? Maybe less.

Providence actually has a very large metropolitan population. There are more people in proximity to Providence (I forget the exact numbers and exact distances, it's something like 8 million people in x number of square miles) than there are to Boston.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure about this...?

thats a rather heady statistic...

Are you sure about this...?

thats a rather heady statistic...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure on the numbers, but I'm sure of the fact, Providence is centrally located to more people than Boston is. If you think about the population density of areas north of Boston vs. what we have in Worcester County, Bristol County, and eastern Connecticut you'll see the numbers. I read it on a state business website, but I can't for the life of me remember which site, let me do some searching and see if I can find it.

Archived