Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

Found it!

Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation

"Rhode Island is located only 1 hour by automobile from Boston and 3.5 hours from New York City. Providence has a larger proportion of New England's population within a 75-mile radius than either Boston or Hartford.

Within 75 miles of Providence:

8,530,000 people-64% of New England's total population

55% of New England's manufacturers of plastic products

58% of New England's manufacturers of industrial and commercial machinery"

1.jpg

Looking at this map, you see if you moved the 75 mile radius to Boston, you'd have a lot of lightly populated southwestern New Hampshire, no highly populated Upper Cape and a lot more ocean than Providence has in it's 75-mile zone.

Check this out:

"86 colleges and universities within 50 miles, the largest concentration of higher ed facilities in the U.S."

Blue Sky Rhode Island

Of course quite a few of those Universities within 50 miles are on the edge of Boston.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry.. i have another question about Sony :) I mentioned before how they only have 17 stores in the country .. and they are now putting a store in Providence before other major cities.. such as atlanta, miami, and phili.. why do we think this is? I'm very curious about it..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The mall made them an offer they couldn't refuse :rofl:

What retail stores would you like to see in Downcity Providence?  Please post specific retailers and/or general types that you think the neighborhood needs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About 18 months ago Lord & Taylor announced plans to close several stores nationwide, including the stores at Emerald Sq and Providence Place. The North Attleboro store has closed, but not the Providence store. Has anyone heard as to what possible anchor store will replace them when they finally do close. Personally, I hope it's Sears. Their lease may be preventing them from leaving or maybe good business.

About 18 months ago Lord & Taylor announced plans to close several stores nationwide, including the stores at Emerald Sq and Providence Place. The North Attleboro store has closed, but not the Providence store. Has anyone heard as to what possible anchor store will replace them when they finally do close. Personally, I hope it's Sears. Their lease may be preventing them from leaving or maybe good business.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd love it to be Sears too, I was in the Sears at the Rhode Island Mall a few weeks ago (the Rhode Island Mall, :sick: ), and bought some well priced pants and stuff, there's no place good to buy inexpensive clothing in the city. I have a wonderful fantasy about L&T becoming a Mega-Apple Store, two floors of everything Apple, a boy can dream can't he?

But it's more likely we'll see some sort of Federated shuffle with Macy's, Bloomie's moving into the Filene's and L&T spots. Although there is a push to create a high end brand out of L&T and PP is a high end mall, but I assume they will be closing Providence and focusing this new high-end strategy in NYC, Boston, Chicago, LA...

Maybe Sears could build an urban stand-alone department store in downtown?? :)  They have urban Sears in downtown's such as in Chicago, Oakland and Bronx.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that is kind of a new strategy for them, there's a lot of plans following the merger with KMart, including some smaller hybrid stores. So perhaps a downtown Sears for Providence isn't out of the question.

Totally depends on what May and Federated decide to do now that they've merged. Federated now owns May's stores (Filenes and L&T) and its possible/probable that they will slot Bloomingdales into the L&T space. Sources tell me they've been very close to a lease signing--I think it depends on how the mall is doing and I'm sure these adjacent luxury projects don't hurt.

Maybe Sears could build an urban stand-alone department store in downtown?? :)  They have urban Sears in downtown's such as in Chicago, Oakland and Bronx.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, if Sears can have a store on Fordham Road in the Bronx, then they can have one in downtown Providence. Hope it happens.

Hey, if Sears can have a store on Fordham Road in the Bronx, then they can have one in downtown Providence. Hope it happens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well the Fordham Road area of the Bronx is much more densely populated than Downcity. But Downcity has Kennedy Plaza going for it in that regard. People from every neighbourhood in Providence could patronize a Downcity Sears store by taking a bus into Kennedy Plaza. RIPTA has responded to demand for the KMart in Brewery Parkade with more service up Cranston Street, but people need to come into Kennedy Plaza to get that bus. A store would be better situated for more people to access more easily by being Downcity.

Looks like we won't see Tweeter in Downcity anytime soon:

Tweeter to shut 19 stores, cut 200 jobs Boston.com

The story mentions that they've been hurt by Best Buy. Best Buy is supposed to be opening 50 stand-alone Geek Squad stores. Perhaps one of those might come to Providence.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm surprised it's taken that long. I've never found Tweeter to be competitive in any respect. Also, does anyone else find the whole "Geek Squad" marketing blitz to be as offensive as I do?

I don't understand why Kennedy Plaza hasn't been a more attractive retail zone considering its foot traffic. It would seem to be a natural choice.

- Garris

There arent too many places for retail around KP. To east you have the courthouse and the PO, to the north you have the park, to the west you have City Hall, the only place where there are spaces for retail is on the south side but most of that is for the banks.

Theres also kind of a rough crowd at KP at certain times.

Totally depends on what May and Federated decide to do now that they've merged.  Federated now owns May's stores (Filenes and L&T) and its possible/probable that they will slot Bloomingdales into the L&T space.  Sources tell me they've been very close to a lease signing--I think it depends on how the mall is doing and I'm sure these adjacent luxury projects don't hurt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, if I were a major Retailer... I would want to get a significant presence in Providence Place now, and I'd make sure I lock in a nice long term lease, BEFORE all the condo towers go up...

Cuz... after that happens, with the kind of population and money that is going to be basically right outside their doors, I'm sure retail space in the mall will be BIG BUCKS.

I was just reading around page 2 and 3 of this thread... and came across the bloomingdales idea. Is that in any way still possible?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just checked the Bloomingdale's web site and the only store that they have in the northeast is at the Chestnut Hill Mall near Boston and NYC.

• 2 weeks later...

Just swung by Box Lunch per Cotuit and others recommendations and found it closed for a week due to permit problems with the City. Hopefully it's something simple... I was looking forward to a new lunch place :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! :o

I almost walked down there for lunch today, glad I didn't.

Rumor has it that American Apparel of Los Angeles has signed a lease at the old J. Silver space on Weybosset.  Check them out on the web at www.americanapparel.net

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Neat...I walked into one of the stores they recently opened on Boul. St. Laurent in Montreal a couple weeks back. Their storefronts are a little aypical, white backgrounds, photos and black helvetica lettering, but they look busy, bright, and I think it'd give a boost to those import clothiers on Matthewson Street as well.

Archived