Downcity/Providence Retail

AriPVD

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was I the only one that found that place to be creepy?  It didn't seem very creative, for lack of a better word.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All I know is they had better coffee at better prices than DD does. And they had the best Iced Chai in town. :(

PS, how does Dress Barn stay in business, has anyone ever seen anyone in there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been wondering that since I was 5. My mother used to shop in Dress Barn when I was a wee lad... Every one we went to seemed empty...

I'm regrettably wondering the same thing about the new (and beautiful) Chico's spot in Wayland Sq... Every time I walk or drive by, it's empty. They need to do some advertising or something, because Wayland Ave doesn't have a lot of vehicular traffic exposure and Wayland Sq foot volume, while decent, isn't going to be enough to drive it...

Their spot is beautiful, like Design Within Reach on Westminster. Big windows, beautifully lit, and open fairly late.

- Garris

Supposedly Dress Barn is ready to go if another tenant is lined up for the Westminster/Dorrance storefront. It's an important site, as a gateway to the street/district. We'd love to see CVS take it over and put in a flagship store (the country's premiere CVS!) with a pharmacy. This is especially feasible since they've been in eviction wars with the new owner of their downtown location at 70 Kennedy Plaza.

I've been wondering that since I was 5.  My mother used to shop in Dress Barn when I was a wee lad...  Every one we went to seemed empty...

I'm regrettably wondering the same thing about the new (and beautiful) Chico's spot in Wayland Sq...  Every time I walk or drive by, it's empty.  They need to do some advertising or something, because Wayland Ave doesn't have a lot of vehicular traffic exposure and Wayland Sq foot volume, while decent, isn't going to be enough to drive it...

Their spot is beautiful, like Design Within Reach on Westminster.  Big windows, beautifully lit, and open fairly late. 

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've often wondered what percentage of Blackstone BLVD actually visits the mall. I see so many CT/MA cars there. PP Mall definately needs them. I guess so does Wayland Sq.

Supposedly Dress Barn is ready to go if another tenant is lined up for the Westminster/Dorrance storefront.  It's an important site, as a gateway to the street/district.  We'd love to see CVS take it over and put in a flagship store (the country's premiere CVS!) with a pharmacy.  This is especially feasible since they've been in eviction wars with the new owner of their downtown location at 70 Kennedy Plaza.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, why doesn't CVS have a flagship store in Providence? A downtown pharmacy is a big need. With a big good store they should do good business. In NYC Duane Reade is like some sort of religious experience. They have them facing each other on some street corners, they are so busy with office workers picking up things on their lunch breaks or after work. A pharmacy would draw a lot more office workers into the Downtown CVS, currently office workers have no place to get perscriptions filled.

It would also be interesting to see Hasbro establish somesort of Providence concept store. Obviously they're not a retailer, but with Rhode Island being their home state, they could have somesort of retail presense in the city as a promotional vehicle.

I also mentioned in the Dunk thread that Dunkin Donuts should have somesort of flagship store in Providence. We're the biggest per capita consumers of the brand. They test market a lot of their new products here (the current paninis are a test in the RI market).

It's very difficult to convince organizations to open a flagship store...they usually need to hatch the concept on their own.  Any suggestions on how we might get to CVS via the grass roots?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We could forge a memo from the President of CVS saying that he has a great idea for a Providence flagship, then we can plant it in their corporate offices. Then they'll think they came up with the idea. ;)

i know corporate from walgreens and cvs..I work in the walgreens pharmacy

the honest to god truth about anything corporate as we all know though.. is that if what you have to say to them doesnt involve saving them money or earning them money.. then they don't want to hear you.

Front end sales mean nothing to drug stores.. it is their pharmacy sales. If they don't think that a downtown store would bring in at least 150 prescriptions a day, then they will turn the other way. If downtown was packed with a bunch of people age 50 and over.. then I could see a proposal coming as soon as 2007 when the risd apts, gtech, and all of westminster lofts are complete.

But any pharmacy would be shaky about opening a flagship store without a decent elderly population. That is most likely why no CVS in prov. has a pharmacy. Or does thayer street's cvs have one?

That is most likely why no CVS in prov. has a pharmacy.  Or does thayer street's cvs have one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thayer doesnt but Hope St does, which makes sense. There would be way more elderly folks on that end of hope. My favorite thing about that Hope St store is that the Pharmacy closes before the store does. I forget about it every angel love time and get there 15mins after the close up shop.

Liam

There's a pharmacy in the Wayland Sq. CVS. But I'm all for a flagship downtown, Im sure once all the "empty-nesters" move into all of the lofts and the luxury towers, there will be a market for it.

Once all of the new residences start getting filled up, this thread is gonna explode. All of the services should follow once downcity is full of residents. I'm looking forward to that...

We could forge a memo from the President of CVS saying that he has a great idea for a Providence flagship, then we can plant it in their corporate offices. Then they'll think they came up with the idea.  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't forget that Brooks Pharmacy is Headquartered here in Li'l ol Rhode Island too.

Here's my evil plan... <_<

We write a memo on Brook's letterhead about the "Top Secret Flagship Store" in downcity being planned by Brooks. Then, we find someone to plant it and leave it laying around at CVS's HQ.

Next we do the exact same thing over at Brooks HQ - only this time on CVS's letterhead.

One of them will definatly end up building just to mess with their competitor. (Probably CVS, since Brooks is a littls strapped for cash these days)

That from a Filenes and a Lord and Taylor...  So much for the "upscale aspirations" of PP...

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i'd say nordstrom more than trumps filene's and lord and taylor as far as upscale is concerned. i am upset that eddie bauer left, although the sony style store that replaced it is cool.

:(

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

which means no bloomingdales, correct?

They said in the article that a few of the stores are being considered to change into blooms instead of macy's. With Pplace's sales through the roof, I can see this being the case. Anyways, these people change their minds everyday.

" In addition to the locations being divested, a small number of stores are being studied for potential conversion to the Bloomingdale's nameplate."

^--- from the article.. I didnt read the entire thing, but doesnt this mean that most stores will be macy's and a select few (malls that can handle a blooms) will change into bloomingdales instead?

Providence could handle a blooms (we all know how great the mall has been doing since day 1).. especially in a couple of years with the added density.. so I don't believe any -filene's to macy's- conversion is set in stone until it actually happens.

I still have hopeeeeeeee

Archived