Downtown Jacksonville

bobliocatt

I didn't really like the location of Adam's Street Station.  I know it's close to the stadium, but that's about it.  There's no "entertainment district" nearby, and the only action that area sees at night is during the pledge drives at WJCT, lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Columbia version of this project is in a more industrial area than Alltel Stadium. Besides, the Arena and Baseball stadium, coupled with Amsterdam Sky Cafe, and the future retail in the new garages make for an entertainment district.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ as far as commodore point is concerned..i hope they demolish those huge tower things on the river. I always hated the sight of those on tv while watching a Jag game. What a great place this would be for condos, shopping, entertainment, etc. High rises on this property would have THE best city views of any in Jax.

Big huge Residental Condos...

PLenty o' room

Lots of Retail...

Ahh,, So much that could be done there...

Watch it be somehting like... Converting land into new waste processing facility to help process all the crap that comes out of city hall

Hopefully not...

Cheers

Of course, if most of the industrial area east of alltel is converted to other uses, that begs the question ... why would the $700 gillion dollar Matthews Bridge replacement need to be very tall? Wouldn't cheaper bridges the height of the Acosta make more sense?

After all, we can't rationally suggest spending obscene volumes of extra money just because "tall bridges are pretty," or so we can get a medium-sized cruise ship half-a-mile further down the river once every 5 years.

As it stands, the Mathews was only as tall as it is, because of all the shipyards. They needed high clearance for the military and industrial ships. Right now, there are still a few more industrial yards besides Commodore point ... but I can certainly picture the Department of Transportation spending millions on a higher clearance, only to have all the industrial property sold off for condos in 30 years.

Although it takes up a lot of land, if the Commodore Point is converted into non-industrial uses, it doesn't necessarily mean the cement silos, railroad tracks and the oil storage tank farm will disappear. Lehigh Portland Cement, Blue Circle Atlantic and Petroleum Fuel and Terminal Co own these facilities.

Can Brooklyn come back?

City looking for private $$

by Bradley Parsons

Staff Writer

The City has a blueprint in hand for turning around the Brooklyn neighborhood and now is looking for private help to take those plans from the drawing board to reality.

The City previously hired Pittsburgh design firm Urban Design Associates to redesign the struggling neighborhood squeezed between LaVilla and Riverside. Now the Jacksonville Economic Development Commission is working with the City

This is some good news today. Hopefully whoever develops the area will be able to get rid of some of those completely inappropriate retention ponds in the area. Could they find a worse use for this valuable land than this? Put some kind of storm water thing underground and build on the land.

I didn't really like the location of Adam's Street Station.  I know it's close to the stadium, but that's about it.  There's no "entertainment district" nearby, and the only action that area sees at night is during the pledge drives at WJCT, lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I just wanted to add some input on this topic. What about the Kids Park and Metropolitan Park? That area does have some draw but the downside is that it is seasonal. Maybe development will increase in that area and make it more profitable.

Farmers market set for Northbank

Artist gallery also part of festivities planned for site adjacent to The Landing.

By CHRISTOPHER CALNAN, The Times-Union

Beginning today the city will launch a combination farmers market and artist gallery every Saturday on the Northbank Riverwalk between Hogan and Pearl streets.

The market, which is scheduled run during the summer months from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., is the third farmers market sponsored by the Downtown Vision Inc. The others operate at Hemming Plaza on Fridays and the Southbank on Wednesdays.

Downtown Vision spokeswoman Lyn Briggs said the new market, called City Market Saturdays, will be along the Riverwalk to the rear of the Times-Union Center for the Performing Arts.

It is intended to be more upscale than the other two markets and Briggs hopes that will encourage more visitors to come downtown on Saturdays.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._18910084.shtml

From the FL T-U, June 6, 2005:

Walk to work, or the game in downtown life

Experts say a revival of city dwelling is coming. Some folks are already there.

By THOMAS LAKE, The Times-Union

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._downtown.shtml

This is a pretty good article, but where does this 19,000 downtown worker figure come from? I always heard we had something like 60,000 people working downtown. Does anyone have any exact figures??

Another article outlining the success of downtown rentals:

New Downtown tenants get upgrade offer at bargain price

Liz Flaisig

Staff Writer

DOWNTOWN -- When The Vestcor Cos. last month announced a 60-day delay in the opening of The Carling on West Adams Street, it tried to soften the inconvenience of a later move-in by offering to shift prelease contracts from the 100-unit Carling to the company's neighboring property, 11 East Forsyth.

http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/st.../06/story3.html

With such high occupancy, I cant believe more developers arent building rentals.

Archived