Gay friendly cities

Kick_Me

If I'm not mistaken, I believe your numbers are county results. Waccawmatt's numbers are for the cities only (not sure where to find the data for that)

I agree that people just vote yes without reading or doing any kind of research about the amendments. All

7 amendments that were on the ballot here in SC passed by an overwhelming margin. :rolleyes:

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is this different from the source I was using - or is the source I am using incorrect? http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006//pages/re...county.000.html

It shows only 35% in Charleston & 32% in Richland voted against the measure. I absolutely would love to believe the results were better than this source shows. Nonetheless, as we discussed before, my gay friend in Columbia has no problems there.

But then again, if a gay person can live their life in a city without discrimination, then it would be friendly enough. So it is up to whomever's opinions.

Teshadoe, those are figures for the counties. I tallied up the precincts in each city to get my totals. I know it is a stretch, but by just looking at the 10 or so most urban precincts in Columbia, the no's were at about 60%. The suburban and rural areas are the problem.

The true citizens have a hard work to obtain equality in our countries, yet pioneers in democracy.

Alas there are false friends who approve a missleading amendment, they fight for what ? For honour ? Indeed, we fight only to get that what we haven't.

To what sunshine said on the 9th, I pretty much echoed that in a post in Virginia's Coffee House (go see if you care to read through it... I was pretty thorough on the legal ramifications of the bill, not just for gays, but straight couples as well).

Anywho. I'm pretty disappointed in Virginia... We're not exactly awash with gay-friendly cities... Richmond isn't too bad... sort of. Northern Virginia is all right. Norfolk is... decent. But everything else leaves a bit to be desired. Blah. Even my school refuses to include sexual orientation in its non-discrimination policy. What a sad state of affairs for the Commonwealth of Virginia, no pun intended.

To what sunshine said on the 9th, I pretty much echoed that in a post in Virginia's Coffee House (go see if you care to read through it... I was pretty thorough on the legal ramifications of the bill, not just for gays, but straight couples as well).

Anywho. I'm pretty disappointed in Virginia... We're not exactly awash with gay-friendly cities... Richmond isn't too bad... sort of. Northern Virginia is all right. Norfolk is... decent. But everything else leaves a bit to be desired. Blah. Even my school refuses to include sexual orientation in its non-discrimination policy. What a sad state of affairs for the Commonwealth of Virginia, no pun intended.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately, one of my cousins and her "roommate" are at the center of the anti-gay civil rights movement in one of the midwestern states. They use their religion to justify their prejudice and hate. I am ashamed to admit that my cousin is related to me, but that whole branch of our family is like that. I would love to tell people in that state that one of their political opponents has the Shakespeare syndrome (Me thinks you protest too much), but I don't wish to permanently divide the family.

Unfortunately, one of my cousins and her "roommate" are at the center of the anti-gay civil rights movement in one of the midwestern states. They use their religion to justify their prejudice and hate. I am ashamed to admit that my cousin is related to me, but that whole branch of our family is like that. I would love to tell people in that state that one of their political opponents has the Shakespeare syndrome (Me thinks you protest too much), but I don't wish to permanently divide the family.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i don't know why they put DC on there... it's a city not a state, so their numbers are seriously skewed.

i am very surprised that new hampshire is the highest actual state. i'm not overly surprised by many of the other numbers except RI (seems low) and ME (seems high).

Austin Texas will become the destination for gay folks who want get out of the city, stay in the country and get to the city for some serious fun late at night. We have the hill country in western Austin and you can get to the nearest club scene in about 15 to 20 minutes. Me and my partner of seven years are going to open a bed and breakfast in the hill country in a few years for the gay community, but all are welcome. I will do the culinary cooking and he will do all the laundry you want. Austin is the best place I have been as a gay man, including DC, New York, Atlanta, etc. I will cook you a French style breakfast, lunch and dinner, all for a reasonable price. If you don't already know, come visit Austin, it's not your expected Texas town!

Austin Texas will become the destination for gay folks who want get out of the city, stay in the country and get to the city for some serious fun late at night. We have the hill country in western Austin and you can get to the nearest club scene in about 15 to 20 minutes. Me and my partner of seven years are going to open a bed and breakfast in the hill country in a few years for the gay community, but all are welcome. I will do the culinary cooking and he will do all the laundry you want. Austin is the best place I have been as a gay man, including DC, New York, Atlanta, etc. I will cook you a French style breakfast, lunch and dinner, all for a reasonable price. If you don't already know, come visit Austin, it's not your expected Texas town!

I don't trust those results at all for actual numbers of gay people in each state, but it may reflect how open each state is to gays and lesbians. Looking at the top 10, one could make a safe assumption that whites/hispanics were more likely to be gay.. and that probably isn't true.

2.) New Hampshire - 6.6%

3.) Washington (state)- 5.7%

3.) Massachusetts - 5.7%

5.) Maine - 5.2%

5.) California - 5.2%

7.) Colorado - 5.1%

7.) Vermont - 5.1%

9.) New Mexico - 4.9%

10.) Minnesota - 4.7%

11.) Florida - 4.6%

(2-11 because I'm not going to count D.C). These states are all relatively open minded and socially liberal.

42.) Louisiana - 3.1%

43.) Wyoming - 3.0%

44.) Alabama - 2.8%

44.) Iowa - 2.8

46.) West Virginia - 2.7%

47.) Montana - 2.6%

48.) Idaho - 2.3%

48.) Mississippi - 2.3%

48.) North Dakota - 2.3%

51.) South Dakota - 1.9%

And look here.. see any trend? The less populated, socially conservative states round out the bottom 10.

I think the actual percentage is probably a bit higher and more uniform across the country. But a gay kid growing up in rural Montana is going to have a tougher time of it than a gay kid growing up in Boston.

I'm just so thankful that my state has not yet passed a gay marriage ammendment (and won't anytime in the near future). Pretty much the sole person to thank for this is a Lutheran minister who absolutely refused to even put it on the ballot. He was voted out of his seat in rural western MN because his opponent attacked him constantly for this. As it stands, gay marriage is still illegal here based on a law passed in 1997.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what does gay friendly cities mean? Why would you marginalize yourself based on the fact of what sex you are attracted to, and besides peoples personal ideas about gay&lesbian's what is really opressing a gay person? Marriage, well only a few offer that option, so besides that I don't see how you can be in an unfriendly enviornment. Also inequality will always exist with hierarchy capitalist government, its just how people deal with the situation. ie. race isn't the problem, racism is.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but what does gay friendly cities mean? Why would you marginalize yourself based on the fact of what sex you are attracted to, and besides peoples personal ideas about gay&lesbian's what is really opressing a gay person? Marriage, well only a few offer that option, so besides that I don't see how you can be in an unfriendly enviornment. Also inequality will always exist with hierarchy capitalist government, its just how people deal with the situation. ie. race isn't the problem, racism is.

Archived