Gay friendly cities

Kick_Me

I live in Sydney, the biggest city in Australia and by far the city with the biggest gay and lesbian population. Considering we're extremely urbanised, this must add to the normal drawing effect of big cities for youngsters sorting out familiy issues.

While we have nation government which is at times frighteningly conservative, generally there is decent equality: this allows people to party hard in the gay bits of town, or just get on with life and live where-ever they like. Of course there's always room to improve, but I think the youngsters coming out now will have it easy, and that's something for everyone to be proud of.

Has anyone heard of Buenos Aires in Argentina as a gay-friendly city? I've hward lots but not been there yet.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can all these cities be gay friendly when gays can't get married legally. It shows that the population in those cities or states are not ready for it, which is the definition of intolerance.

As of right now, there's really only 1 major gay friendly city in the U.S... and it's the city by the other Bay... Massachusetts Bay.

Orlando? That kind of surprises me. I always thought it was ultra conservative.

What about places in Europe?

Excuse me but Orlando is anything but ultra conservative. What a total miconseption!! You should have been at yesterday's pride parade! Please read from Saturdays Orlando Sentinel....notice, no Atlanta, NYC, or Miami (by percentage)

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/...-home-headlines

GAY POPULATIONS

The Orlando-Kissimee market is ranked in the top 10 of US metro areas for percentage of gay, lesbian and bisexual adults, with more than 5%. That percentage also tops the national average of (4.1% of adults) and the state average of (4.6% of adults).

TOP TEN METRO AREAS

1. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont California

8.2%

2. Seattle-Tacoma-Bellvue Washington

6.5%

3. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy Massachuttes

6.2%

4. Portland-Beaverton Ore-Vancouver Washington

6.1%

5. Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater

5.9%

6. Austin-Round Rock Texas

5.9%

7. Denver-Aurora Colorado

5.8%

8. Minneapolis-St.Paul-Bloomington Minnesota

5.7%

9. Orlando-Kissimmee

5.7%

10. Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford Connecticut

5.6%

The most annoying thing is when people "think" Orlando is ultra conservative. Where do they get that idea? One area that may be more conservative would be Tampa/St. Pete which has the nations largest percentage of Gay Republicans. Orlando is totally opposite of that. Quote from article:

"Gays and lesbians like a progressive metro area," said Chris Alexander, vice-president of sales and marketing for Gay Days Inc., tourism and other events held in Orlando since 1991.

And Orlando has become increasingly progressive, he said. Three years ago, the city included sexual orientation in its discrimination policies. And area companies now are more prone to have policies that give workers benefits for significant others, Alexander said.

"I've heard many times, people come down to visit Orlando for Gay Days and then decide to live here," Alexander said.

In 2000 Orlando was 15th in the nation, and in just 6 years is tied with Minneapolis for 8th/9th place.

I think the reason people think some cities with "gay ghettos" are more tolerant is because you see large numbers of gays in those concentrated areas. They are there for protection, little islands where they can live as they like. But head on out to the suburbs or other parts of town and you are a freak. Orlando is not like that. You can live anywhere in town, along with the tons of hispanics, Indians, Pakistanis, Middle Easterners, Europeans, Caribbean Islanders. How can a city with one of the most diverse populations in the country and a point of entry of immigrants be "ultra conservative." There is no violence against these people, no major protests, there were abosolutely NO protesters at yesterdays gay pride parade and lots of straight parents and little kids there to see the beautiful colorful floats from Disney, Universal and lots of national corporations. (Oh, and also, Orlando has the highest percentage of Gay latinos out of any metro in the US and has a higher percentage of Puerto Rican gays than San Juan!) SO PLEASE CHANGE YOUR VIEW OF OUR GREAT CITY!! Another point, last year the KKK tried to have a parade in Orlando, the police protected them as by law, but the parade and speech shut down early and gave up, no support and too many protesters drowning them out!

Another point, when you leave downtown Atlanta, you are in the heart of Dixie for hundreds of miles around. Florida is very urban, you are almost always in a city enviroment no matter how many miles you head from any of our major metros!

How can all these cities be gay friendly when gays can't get married legally. It shows that the population in those cities or states are not ready for it, which is the definition of intolerance.

As of right now, there's really only 1 major gay friendly city in the U.S... and it's the city by the other Bay... Massachusetts Bay.

metrowester....not true so much about Atlanta anymore. When you leave DT Atlanta, your in Midtown, Grant Park, East Atlanta, or one of the other numerous gayborhoods in the city. Inner ring suburbs like Decatur and Tucker are very gay as well, (Decatur being one of the gayest in the USA). The further out suburbs of Gwinnet and Fulton have so many "transplants" from elsewhere it is definately not Dixie. Even far flung suburbs like Marietta , (OMG Cobb County!) have several gay bars and different businesses catering to gays and lesbians. So in all reality youd have to go to the far out Exurbs to get into real Dixie. Maybe places like Coweta County or Forsyth County, 40-50 miles out. But then again these places are being over run with people from different places they are almost no longer Dixie either.

Same exact thing goes for Orlando. Ive been to far flung suburbs of Orlando, (actually just a few weeks back) and it was Dixie too!....

metrowester....not true so much about Atlanta anymore. When you leave DT Atlanta, your in Midtown, Grant Park, East Atlanta, or one of the other numerous gayborhoods in the city. Inner ring suburbs like Decatur and Tucker are very gay as well, (Decatur being one of the gayest in the USA). The further out suburbs of Gwinnet and Fulton have so many "transplants" from elsewhere it is definately not Dixie. Even far flung suburbs like Marietta , (OMG Cobb County!) have several gay bars and different businesses catering to gays and lesbians. So in all reality youd have to go to the far out Exurbs to get into real Dixie. Maybe places like Coweta County or Forsyth County, 40-50 miles out. But then again these places are being over run with people from different places they are almost no longer Dixie either.

Same exact thing goes for Orlando. Ive been to far flung suburbs of Orlando, (actually just a few weeks back) and it was Dixie too!....

Good question waccamatt, not sure about that. The only point I was trying to make was that the suburbs of Atlanta are not Dixie at all. The suburbs may be conservative...yes, but not super ultra right winged homophobic bible-beating conservative like you see here in redneck South Carolina.

yeah.. gay friendly.. you really won't find that anywhere.

sure maybe some politicians in one city or state will be like "HEY THEY CAN MARRY HERE!"

but you will always have others that don't agree somewhere in some area.

no city is truely gay friendly..

this comes along with diversity..

people that don't care if you are gay or not..

people who do care that make it there mission to ruin others..

There was just an article somewhere in one of the local papers about Hartford's high ranking on that list. There are a lot of gays in the city's West End which is one of the city's finest neighborhoods as well as a funky/artsy area.

The city now even has a few gay clubs/gathering places...including two in the city's south end which definitly draw people to that area of the city who may not have gone there before.

Good question waccamatt, not sure about that. The only point I was trying to make was that the suburbs of Atlanta are not Dixie at all. The suburbs may be conservative...yes, but not super ultra right winged homophobic bible-beating conservative like you see here in redneck South Carolina.

DC is very gay friendly, but we do not have marraige rights or civil unions for same sex couples. Our situation is different because so much of the city is under federal control and the city politicians for right or wrong do not want to upset the Republican run Congress. Our next (DC is 2/3 Democratic) mayor Adrian Fenty was the only one of the candidates during the Democratic Primary to support same sex marraige. In order for us to have civil unions or same sex marriage, we would have to have congressional approval. With the atmosphere the way it is in Congress and White House this would be a long shot.

You have to separate gay visbility from gay acceptance. No city in New England has a real gayborhood - none really need it. Gay people there feel just like everyone else. You don't have to flaunt your sexuality because you are comfortable being just you. Other cities that have huge gay enclaves really aren't always the most friendly, because it's an either/or thing.

Give it time. People are coming to realize those are more stereotypes than reality. Diversity and differences are a lot mroe natural than you think they would be.

Well, this isn't a gay friendly city IMO, but Thomasville, NC has passed a "resolution" backing a state constitutional ban on same-sex marriage. This town won't be getting any of my money and I'm sad to say it's in the metro area of where I live... :angry:Winston-Salem Journal Article About Thomasville NC support of constitutional ban on same-sex marriage

yeah.. gay friendly.. you really won't find that anywhere.

sure maybe some politicians in one city or state will be like "HEY THEY CAN MARRY HERE!"

but you will always have others that don't agree somewhere in some area.

no city is truely gay friendly..

this comes along with diversity..

people that don't care if you are gay or not..

people who do care that make it there mission to ruin others..

I really have to jump in defense of Providence, Rhode Island.

Our mayor is openly (very) gay, has four excellent colleges in it's borders (Two exceptional ones: Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design), several city councilors are queer, the Majority Leader of the RI House of Representatives (and my boss) is openly gay. There are about 5 or 6 Representatives in our House of Reps who are queer, and three Senators who are.

Providence has Pride flags hanging in the city (One in front of the mall) year-round. The STate bars discrimination agtainst sexual orientation and gender identity. Once our current Republican governor (It's a RI thing to always elect Republicans as Governor), I've been told gay marriage is not too far behind.

When the bill gets out of committee (possibly this session), the RI House is ready to pass it. The Senate is a little more dicey but possible if the Senate Pres. doesn't block it.

And I walk aorund Providence, not just the "downcity" core area but then entire city, holding hands with other boys and I do NOT catch flack at all, except from random "ghetto" kids in their cars driving by.

And that goes for the state of RHode Island as a whole. I have never encountered a serious gay-unfriendly atmosphere, even i nthe "conservative" areas of the state.

Providence has 18 gay/lesbian clubs/bars, and 7 "Straight" clubs within the downcity area.

That's what you call "Gay-Friendly".

Also, I work for the RI COmmission for Human Rights, a state agency that deals with discrimination. The agency takes gay-negative suits Very seriously.

So please consider Providence, RI.

EDIT: Not to mention active Gay-Straight Alliances in over half the state's high schools, and on every single college campus. And ATM I'm working with my old HS's administration (very supportive) on establishing a GSA there.

I really have to jump in defense of Providence, Rhode Island.

Our mayor is openly (very) gay, has four excellent colleges in it's borders (Two exceptional ones: Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design), several city councilors are queer, the Majority Leader of the RI House of Representatives (and my boss) is openly gay. There are about 5 or 6 Representatives in our House of Reps who are queer, and three Senators who are.

Providence has Pride flags hanging in the city (One in front of the mall) year-round. The STate bars discrimination agtainst sexual orientation and gender identity. Once our current Republican governor (It's a RI thing to always elect Republicans as Governor), I've been told gay marriage is not too far behind.

When the bill gets out of committee (possibly this session), the RI House is ready to pass it. The Senate is a little more dicey but possible if the Senate Pres. doesn't block it.

And I walk aorund Providence, not just the "downcity" core area but then entire city, holding hands with other boys and I do NOT catch flack at all, except from random "ghetto" kids in their cars driving by.

And that goes for the state of RHode Island as a whole. I have never encountered a serious gay-unfriendly atmosphere, even i nthe "conservative" areas of the state.

Providence has 18 gay/lesbian clubs/bars, and 7 "Straight" clubs within the downcity area.

That's what you call "Gay-Friendly".

Also, I work for the RI COmmission for Human Rights, a state agency that deals with discrimination. The agency takes gay-negative suits Very seriously.

So please consider Providence, RI.

EDIT: Not to mention active Gay-Straight Alliances in over half the state's high schools, and on every single college campus. And ATM I'm working with my old HS's administration (very supportive) on establishing a GSA there.

Queer has a negative reputation, but as a GLBT political activist I have taken the term and reclaimed it. Queer is an umbrella term for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Questioning, and everything in between. It is a label that the GLBT community should reclaim back from those who declare "queer" to mean stupid, weird, or abnormal.

I felt it necessary to say because there are some members of the political community who would not say that are hardline "gay", and I respect that.

=)

"Queer" has been completely claimed by the gay community! It's days as a nasty slur are over. I feel totally comfortable with the word, and I see nothing negative about it at all anymore.

If you notice, it is being used on regular TV shows, along with "gay". i.e. Queer as Folk, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. As mentioned before, in a lot of ways it is a good umbrella term for alternative sexual orientations--gay, lesbian ,bi, trans.

Would everyone agree that the word "gay" has completely changed meaning in the last 30 years? I bet people under 30 have never even heard the word used to mean joyous/happy/lighthearted. Gay means homosexual these days.

Interesting how two words have totally become synonymous with homosexuality, and their original definitions have been usurped.

"Queer" has been completely claimed by the gay community! It's days as a nasty slur are over. I feel totally comfortable with the word, and I see nothing negative about it at all anymore.

If you notice, it is being used on regular TV shows, along with "gay". i.e. Queer as Folk, Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. As mentioned before, in a lot of ways it is a good umbrella term for alternative sexual orientations--gay, lesbian ,bi, trans.

Would everyone agree that the word "gay" has completely changed meaning in the last 30 years? I bet people under 30 have never even heard the word used to mean joyous/happy/lighthearted. Gay means homosexual these days.

Interesting how two words have totally become synonymous with homosexuality, and their original definitions have been usurped.

Archived