Gay friendly cities

Kick_Me

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Rhode Island General Assembly, the issue is not the legislative bodies themselves.

The problems are:

Governor Cacieri - Opposed to gay marriage fervently, not too happy with civil unions either)

Speaker Murphy - Opposed so much to gay marriage he actively fights Majority Leader Fox and overruled both the Leader and Judiciary Chairman Lally to make sure no committee vote happened. Civil Unions he's somehow okay with O.o

Senate President Montalbano - Opposed to gay marriage, a little more friendly to civil unions

If the Leadership would stop blocking marriage bills from progressing, the House would pass it according to Ldr Fox, but it wouldn't be a veto proof passage. The Senate *might* pass it, but it's chances are alot more dicey than the House. If it passed, it certainly wouldn't be vetoproof.

And Cacieri won't be budging. If Fogarty is our next Governor... then gay marriage in RI is a real possibility.

Regarding Bishop Healey... it's interesting that he comes out so in force against gay marriage at the Hearings...and then he's followed by delegates from the state's EPiscopal, Unitarian Universalist, and United Church of Christ congregations in full support of marriage equality. Religion is not unified in opposition to extending gay couples marriage rights...

Also notable: I've spoken to a good pool (about 30) of practicing Catholics here in RI about the issue. Most of them, believe it or not, don't understand why the CHurch is getting it's robes in a knot over the issue. They support gay marriage. And the ones opposed (about a third, 10. I gotta find the papers) cite all of the rhetoric that you hear in the media. Nothing personal, nothing different....not a strong argument, IMO.

=)

And to Carter711, it would be completely done by the legislature/governor. Rhode Island lacks a DOMA or constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage, so all that would need to happen is a bill be introduced (and passed) that made the marriage laws neutral.

A constitutional amendment banning gay marriage has no chance here.

Here is the bill proposed last session (Died in committee)

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/Billtext/Bill...ext06/H6925.pdf

I've seen articles and books written about the "creative class" of young professionals that can be found in progressive cities with large gay/lesbian, arts, and music communities. Many places in the Northeast and West Coast are among them. Certainly the progressive nature and relative gay friendliness of the Northeast made it an attractive place for me to relocate, and is one of MANY reasons I have elected to stay in this region.

P.S.

New Jersey's Supreme Court ruled in favor of "equal unions" for same-sex couples this week. The state assembly now has the responsibilty of setting the parameters for such a union. Will it be marriage, will it be a civil union, will it be something else? And of course there is a conservative contingent intent upon pushing a constitutional ban on same-sex unions altogether. I've written my legislators. Even if you don't live in New Jersey, I hope we can have some moral support from GLBT persons and allies across the country! :tough:

P.S.

New Jersey's Supreme Court ruled in favor of "equal unions" for same-sex couples this week. The state assembly now has the responsibilty of setting the parameters for such a union. Will it be marriage, will it be a civil union, will it be something else? And of course there is a conservative contingent intent upon pushing a constitutional ban on same-sex unions altogether. I've written my legislators. Even if you don't live in New Jersey, I hope we can have some moral support from GLBT persons and allies across the country! :tough:

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the Anti-Gay constitutional ammendment to ban Gay Marraige in Virginia has passed, I guess there are really no gay friendly cities in Virginia. I suppose there will be an exodus of gay people from Virginia for more friendly environs like DC. I don't think Virginians know what they have done. Corporations should now think twice about moving operations there.

Now that the Anti-Gay constitutional ammendment to ban Gay Marraige in Virginia has passed, I guess there are really no gay friendly cities in Virginia. I suppose there will be an exodus of gay people from Virginia for more friendly environs like DC. I don't think Virginians know what they have done. Corporations should now think twice about moving operations there.

Just reviewing the states that had anti-gay amendments (either 'pro-family' or specifically anti-gay marriage) - here are some cities that voted with some tolerance:

Tuscon, AZ

Boulder, CO

Denver, CO

& as noted:

suburban Washington DC - Alexandria & Arlington, VA

Charlottesville, VA

Richmond, VA

Petersburg, VA

Madison, WI

These cities represent the states of CO, AZ, ID, SC, TN, & WI. Cities to note that are absent from the list - Phoenix, Colorado Springs, Boise, Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Milwaukee & Green Bay.

* Also note - there are even rural counties that voted pro-gay tolerance, in CO & ID.

Just reviewing the states that had anti-gay amendments (either 'pro-family' or specifically anti-gay marriage) - here are some cities that voted with some tolerance:

Tuscon, AZ

Boulder, CO

Denver, CO

& as noted:

Charlottesville, VA

Richmond, VA

Petersburg, VA

Madison, WI

These cities represent the states of CO, AZ, ID, SC, TN, & WI. Cities to note that are absent from the list - Phoenix, Colorado Springs, Boise, Greenville, Columbia, Charleston, Nashville, Knoxville, Memphis, Chattanooga, Milwaukee & Green Bay.

* Also note - there are even rural counties that voted pro-gay tolerance, in CO & ID.

Tuscon, AZ

Boulder, CO

Denver, CO

& as noted:

Charlottesville, VA

Richmond, VA

Petersburg, VA

Madison, WI

Tuscon, AZ

Boulder, CO

Denver, CO

& as noted:

Charlottesville, VA

Richmond, VA

Petersburg, VA

Madison, WI

Wisconsin always used to have a reputation of progressivism and tolerance. That reputation has gone out the window now. Not only did Wisconsin approve the anti-gay amendment, but they also voted to have the Legislature to re-establish capital punishment. Wisconsin's state motto is "Forward" but it appears to be going backward to me! :angry:

Every state has the same problem, they try to make the ammenmendt sound confusing so people will vote yes. The bullet train in Florida was struck down because of the same tactic.

Your first choie in virginia should sound like this.

I want gay marriage. (yes) (no)

Is this different from the source I was using - or is the source I am using incorrect? http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006//pages/re...county.000.html

It shows only 35% in Charleston & 32% in Richland voted against the measure. I absolutely would love to believe the results were better than this source shows. Nonetheless, as we discussed before, my gay friend in Columbia has no problems there.

But then again, if a gay person can live their life in a city without discrimination, then it would be friendly enough. So it is up to whomever's opinions.

Archived