New Greenville developments

gs3

I have heard nothing yet. :( The lawsuit over the property and Kimbrells building should be taken care of before too long, because this is definitely a necessity in downtown. :) I was just thinking about the SEC women's basketball teams and fans who've traveled here for the tournament; is there enough for them to do after-hours in downtown in the Winter? Then I thought, man, if only they could visit here in the Spring or Summer, 'cause there's all kinds of activity going on throughout the city then. I know there are all kinds of things to do this time of year, but do first-time visitors know about them too? Wouldn't a movie theatre on Main Street be awesome for those people who want to catch the latest flick without having to fight the Woodruff Road or Pleasantburg Drive traffic? Just a thought! :)

Talked to some ladies today who were supporters of the LSU women's basketball team. They said they were amazed at Greenville's downtown and the size of the city! Made me feel good. They said the statistics for population had them really fooled and they expected a lot smaller place. They also said this is a beautiful and active city.

Talked to some ladies today who were supporters of the LSU women's basketball team. They said they were amazed at Greenville's downtown and the size of the city! Made me feel good. They said the statistics for population had them really fooled and they expected a lot smaller place. They also said this is a beautiful and active city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is an example of why the city should annex it's outlying areas. It's very difficult for any SC city to look as big as it truly is when the borders are almost never allowed to expand, particularly residential areas. Charlotte proper has more than 10 times the population of Greenville proper. Yet the metro areas have a 3:2 ratio (using GSA).

I remember reading how a man was looking at a job as a TV station manager here, and he took out the listing of all the markets. He started at number 50 and skimmed down from there trying to find the Greenville/Spartanburg market. After getting to 200 an still not finding it, he said to himself, "this place is really smaller than I thought". Later he realized he needed to look in the top 35. Asheville, Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson are all the same media market.

There was talk awhile back about the X7, which is supposed to be a larger, more "beefy" version of the X5.  They said something about adding a third seat as well.  This isn't what I recall seeing though, because the model in the photos looked more like a cross between the X5 and X3 with a rather sporty twist. :)  I just can't remember...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that sounds right. It's suppose to have 3 rows of seating (like a van), however BMW would never call it a van. I think is suppose to be low to the ground and very sporty. A crossover. X7 sounds familiar.

This is an example of why the city should annex it's outlying areas.  It's very difficult for any SC city to look as big as it truly is when the borders are almost never allowed to expand, particularly residential areas.  Charlotte proper has more than 10 times the population of Greenville proper.  Yet the metro areas have a 3:2 ratio (using GSA).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Has anyone heard of the latest annexation attempts by the city? I had heard about a couple large ones possibly coming up soon, but I don't have any hard evidence of that.

One thing you can do is read the City Council minutes. I occasionally go through and read Spartanburg's to get info. Its usually not too interesting, but they will discuss first or second readings of annexation requests. Skim the outline near the top to see what is inside the thing. That is probably the easiest way to keep up with it, since it isn't usually a newpaper worthy event.

City of Greenville Minutes

An Indie theatre is possibly coming to downtown. :D The developers who are negotiating for a downtown property say they want "300 seats spread over three screens, with a cafe that serves meals, beer and wine, and concessions." This will definitely be a welcome addition to the Fine Arts market in town. The Upstate Film Society will be a major player in the future of this theatre. Read more in this week's Greenville Journal (free all over the Upstate).

Great pictures

BTW, I know another project for the list. Yesterday was the Ground Breaking for a new Greenville Tech. Campus, this one will service the Berea area of Greenville and is located on over 100 acres on White Horse Rd.

An Indie theatre is possibly coming to downtown. :D  The developers who are negotiating for a downtown property say they want "300 seats spread over three screens, with a cafe that serves meals, beer and wine, and concessions."  This will definitely be a welcome addition to the Fine Arts market in town.  The Upstate Film Society will be a major player in the future of this theatre.  Read more in this week's Greenville Journal (free all over the Upstate).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is great! I was reading in the Journal about this.....this indie theater is in addition to the mainstream theaters proposed for the corner of Main and Mcbee, right?

Went to 9th floor of city hall today to dig up more info. There are a lot of planned developments that haven't been announced yet......There is also a vision of a residential tower near Cleveland Park. Would be around 17 storys. I am excited! Greenville is becoming a major city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey motonenterprises, I meant to ask what this building looked like, assuming it was a sketch or rendering of some sort? If it is the one I'm thinking of, I believe it was included in a rendering created by that formerly hired master-planner in Boston (Sasaki & Associates?). Anything you can tell would be greatly appreciated! :)

I was looking through some of my old copies of GSABusiness Journal and found this article about the posibilities of a great Reedy River master plan. Remember how close this was to becoming a reality! Below is just a clip from the full article. :)

In September of 2000, DAGG was presented with a 102-acre plan produced by Southern Infrastructure calling for $115 million in new development. The proposal included a new Triple A baseball stadium, a new 35-acre world-class regional zoo, the creation of a Central Park area and the installation of exclusive retail components.

But only weeks later, DAGG was disbanded by Mayor Knox White, citing an unclear bidding process. What followed were several lawsuits that ended in the city's favor.

Correct, this will be an additional option for movie-goers or artists.  The flicks shown in such a theatre are sometimes far from the ordinary, but can be an absolute treat for the artistic-minded (like myself). :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The indie really needs to happen in GV....the sophistication level of this city can definitely support it. I lived a brief (very brief) time in Jackson, MS and even though it's the last place on earth one would think of an indie (far cry from midtown Atlanta), they had one...DeVille Cinema. Showed everything from the more obscure early runs of John Waters to foreign with sub-titles. Not only were the movies a treat, but people watching was fantastic! You'd get the "country folk" who stumbled in thinking they'd see Steven Segal shooting up someone.....the actions and looks on these peoples faces were priceless when they realized. :lol:

This morning many who read the Greenville News may miss the announcement of yet another highrise for Greenville. IT is buried in an article about the prservation of the old kimbrell's building on main. This building is on the same block as the main & Mcbee site for the new 20 screen theater. people want to save the Kimbrell's building, but I say tear it down there is nothing historical about it and it doesn't have the character to make it worth saving. Anyway propsed is a 200,000 sf 12 story office tower for Fall St. and the Kimbrell's building on main would be torn down to make a entrance to the building.

here is the article

Preservationists split on future of downtown building

here is a pic of the proposed entryway

building1.jpg

here is a side pic of the kimbrells building

11778.jpg

and here are the important excerts about the new building, though the whole article should be read to know more about the controversy.

"But the Kimbrell building won't even be part of Greenville if its owners win approval to tear it down to create an entry to a 12-story office tower they want to build on Falls Street. A city-appointed preservation panel has rejected their plan to raze the building, and the owners

Ok, I'm confused.

I thought the movie theater was going where this office building is going. The issue of preservation of the Kimbrell's building aside, I think the covered walkway is both unnecessary and unapppealing. Didn't we just get rid of the big grassy useless space in front of the Wachovia building?

And while we're at it, for heaven's sake tear down that Wachovia bank drive-thru suburbia bull crap. I thought they were tearing the stupid thing down, but instead they renovated it! Ugh!! :angry:

As for Kimbrell's, the facade is the ONLY thing that has any value historically, and that isn't much. However, given this bad design, they need to just go back to the drawing board and start over. Maybe a design that includes the drive-thru site could preserve the Kimbrell's fascade and not create some useless walkway.

Frankly, I expected better from Keystone.

Ok, I'm confused.

I thought the movie theater was going where this office building is going.  The issue of preservation of the Kimbrell's building aside, I think the covered walkway is both unnecessary and unapppealing.  Didn't we just get rid of the big grassy useless space in front of the Wachovia building?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THe movie theater I beleive will be next door to the left of the walkway. I agree though, I think they should have something other than a entrance fronting on Main. Like a store front, But if the walkway is artistic and notable enough I won't complain to much.

Yes, the towers we speak of...  Look for the first construction to begin sometime in early Spring at The Pinnacle on Main (14-stories) site.  The 12-story Camperdown Condominiums are said to begin in the summer. :)  By this time next year we should finally have some of those additional towers as part of our skyline. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My sources say:

Camperdown Condo's construction drawings are complete, and construction should begin within 60 days

My sources say:

Camperdown Condo's construction drawings are complete, and construction should begin within 60 days

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum johnnyg. Always love getting the scoop! Have they already sold enough units? The new design/developer was only announced a little while ago.

Brad, I don't see how 12 or more movie screens can fit in a space that small. And, I thought the Wachovia drive-thru was too the left of Kimbrell's. I am going to walk this block in the morning if it isn't too cold.

Welcome to the forum johnnyg.  Always love getting the scoop!  Have they already sold enough units?  The new design/developer was only announced a little while ago. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

vicupstate -Thanks for the welcome!

Camperdown's been floating around for a while, I think with the new team they have in place, things should move a little quicker.

Be interesting to see which is done 1st Camperdown condos or the new downtown Hotel

Brad, I don't see how 12 or more movie screens can fit in a space that small.  And, I thought the Wachovia drive-thru was too the left of Kimbrell's.  I am going to walk this block in the morning if it isn't too cold.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Below is an earlier post to this thread. If you notice the developers for the underground theater are the same as those for the tower. So likely the theater is under the tower. Maybe then after all they are using the entire free space and the kimbrell's space. That would make a large site, and maybe the atm is just their temporary. Man, I want to see a site plan or something to know how this is going to happen.

I hope this gets resolved.  Having a multi-plex theater downtown would definitely put Greenville in a small circle of elite cities.  What a great idea to put it underground.   

Developers fight for downtown theater plan

Posted Monday, February 21, 2005 - 9:03 pm

By John Boyanoski

STAFF WRITER

[email protected]

A Circuit Court judge may decide whether residents will be able to watch the latest Hollywood blockbuster on Greenville's Main Street.

Keystone Properties, LLC., has filed a lawsuit against the city's Design and Preservation Commission over an almost one-acre L-shaped chunk of land near the corner of Main and McBee streets downtown. Keystone wants to build an underground movie theater among other businesses on the site.

The City Council-appointed commission, which consists of local residents, denied the request, saying it required demolishing the former Kimbrell's Furniture building, according to court documents. The commission ruled the building was architecturally and historically significant.

The suit asks the court to review the case, documents show. The plaintiffs aren't asking for money.

City Attorney Ron McKinney declined to comment Monday, saying he hadn't seen the lawsuit.

Larry Estridge, the attorney for Keystone Properties, said his clients have filed documents questioning the building's significance. His clients are waiting for a March hearing on the new request.

"Hopefully, this won't be an issue after March," he said.

Keystone Properties had requested the demolition last summer, saying it wanted to put a grassy spot over the former furniture store that moved out last winter, according to city documents.

A company official said during an August meeting his group ultimately wants to put a 12- to 20-screen underground movie theater on the property, but it needed more land before bringing final plans to the board.

Commission members said they would like to see some of the old Kimbrell's face kept as part of any new development. City documents show the building has significant termite problems, but it isn't in danger of collapse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Be interesting to see which is done 1st Camperdown condos or the new downtown Hotel

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Riveplace, 155 E. Riverplace and The Riverhouse are coming along rather well, so the Hampton Inn & Suites should probubly be started in a few months I would think. But that is only speculation. I have heard an expected start date, but I totally forget what it was.