Detroit Photo of the Day

Allan

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hopefully soon-to-be-renovated Argonaut Building in the New Center. It's hard to get an idea of just how big this thing is unless you're standing next to it. It's only ten stories tall, but occupies most of the block bound by Second, Milwaukee, Cass, and Baltimore.

I really like the ornate top of the building, too. :thumbsup:

argo2.jpg

argo1.jpg

June 30, 2005

21657126_81e51e35c6.jpg

4120 Cass - Waldorf Condominiums (formerly apartments)

This lovely building is located at, just south of Willis (Avalon bakery). It was built in 1897 and used to be one of three side by side buildings. Unfortunately, the other two were demolished in the 1990s. This was renovated into condos in 2001, which means it is part of the NEZ. There is a 2000 sq ft unit currently for sale for $275,000 info, which I think is way too much. Maybe it's because it is right next to a park. Then again just about all of the renovation projects I have seen in this area of midtown have been in this price range.

I don't know much else about this building. Allan had thought maybe the turrets had the typical pointed roof on it at one time. Does anyone else have any information on this building?

Just to the north is a little commercial building (you can see it on the left side of the picture above and the right below) then there is ....

21657127_31e64efd42.jpg

4142 Cass - Venn Manor Condominiums

The Beaux Arts style building was designed by architects Van Leyen and Schilling in 1904 for Angeline Venn and her brother-in-law Ernest Venn. It was originally six apartments and was considered to be quite fancy and modern as it had indoor plumbing! (Ernest was a plumber).

Edited by ebaldy

Ah yes, Bob. I met him on the Saturday of the Arts Festival. He was at his new project on Alexandrine, which I guess is where he'll be moving to. One of the things I like about this project is that every unit is 3 floors and has a 2 car garage with a balcony over it! I'll post of picture of it sometime.

I would like to see a list of all the projects he has been involved in and when they were renovated. It's seams like about 75% of the projects going on in midtown are a result of his handy work.

@Aaron, I really like the angle of that photo. It's gives a very nice urban feel while giving a full view of the tower. I guess we can thank Mr. Woodward for that :)!

Wow, those two condo conversions are beautiful! I'm normally for more affordable housing (not assisted), but high-income housing has to go somewhere. As much as I'd like to live there, I think you should have to spend some big bucks to live in places like those.

Monday, July 4, 2005

As the daylight fades, the city lights come on, complete with the Penobscot Building's red, white, & blue lighting scheme.

IMG_3230.jpg

Another view of the Penobscot's lighting scheme.

IMG_3542.jpg

And finally a scene from the Freedom Festival fireworks on Wednesday night.

IMG_3310.jpg

A guy I know has an office in the Book. He pulled a few strings and got a few people permission to go up there during the fireworks. We were on the 33rd floor fire escape, but building security kicked us off right before they were about to start, so we were scrambling around trying to find windows that would open (most have been screwed shut). We settled on the 30th floor. We wanted to watch from 36, but the owner's private party was up there, so that didn't work out too well. Floors 37, 38, & 39 are in the roof, and access to them is locked.

Tuesday, July 5, 2005

4,612 ft from home!

23533495_c20d0fee38.jpg

The advertisements for the All Star Game are going up and I must say I like this one. I saw them starting on this Saturday morning and it just looked like a few windows were discolored. As I was driving down I-75 on Sunday evening, I noticed there was a lot more there, although I couldn't make it out. This picture is from Sunday. I would think by now that the rest of the white stuff has been removed and it is completed. Unfortunately, I don't know if I will make it back down to see the completion and other advertisements.

Edited by ebaldy

That's a great shot! When I first made sense of the baseball, I thought it was a giant bullet hole. My heart about sank that first time. And, I'm such an airhead that I could not figure out for the life of me what the 4,612 ft meant until I found in in the news paper.

I'm wondering when the Cadillac Tower will have its mural and when the bed sheets will be put on some buildings. ;)

I really do like the advertisement on the RenCen. Unfortunately they tried something similar on the Opera House and it isnt nearly as cool. I believe it shows a picture of an SSR with another distance from home plate. Its nice that they are using some creativity and not just putting up plain banners, well at least not yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...