Trademark

49er

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ Yeah, this sales approach could backfire on them if a cutout is carried off by a gust a wind and lodges itself by the "head" at the base of the balcony railing, or soemthing like what you saw.

Brochure/Ad: "Trademark - you'll want to kill yourself only days after moving in."

I love this piece, I am anxious to know how this will be lit, I think it can be equally as if not more impressive with the proper night lighting. Brilliant Artwork, I'm impressed beyond words.

Every time I look at the pics of Trademark's sculpture, I can't help but wonder about it's cost. I have a feeling it was a bit more expensive than decorative art from Pier One Imports.:) hehhe

Obviously this was a major piece of change for Furman's company to shell out. But when you think about it, it won't be enjoyed just by Trademark residents---the entire city of Charlotte will benefit. Does anyone know if developers get a tax break when they install significant public art such as this, or Arnoldo Pomodoro's Grand Disco at the Square?

What is interesting is that I think the materials are a major part of why this is so univerally liked. Think about the art that so many hate, the Sayre art at Scaleybark -- it looks like dirt! This looks expensive and uses materials that everyone likes, granite and stainless steel (presuming), and it is arranged in a sculpture that looks intentional and beautiful rather than some of those sculptures that just looks like stacks of shredded metal. I love that the base is so functional as a seat and that the lowest piece is so functional as a skateboard ramp (just kidding), which will really help make this interactive and lively. From looking at Sally Rogers' other work, the names are just as interesting and add dimension to what you see in the sculpture. Does anyone know the name of this yet?

Also, I was on a run last night and went by there. Even though it is still mostly covered with a tarp I saw others looking at the sculpture, too.

charlotteman - private developers do not receive a tax break for installing art. however, furman is on the arts council and has been pushing private developments to add art to their projects. hopefully this will set a nice precedent - the adressing of the pedestrian scale is one of the best parts of the building. trademark's streetscape will be packed with action by the time press and the mint street retail open at the beginning of the year.

• 2 months later...

Press looks like it's just a week or so away (maybe less) from opening. The tables and chairs are there, and the restaurant looks gorgeous. The signs covering the windows are gone, and you can get a clear view in. It's a lot different that I thought it would be based on the images on the signs that once covered the windows -- less "town"-ish and more laid back. Hopefully this will be a great spot to grab a glass of wine and a light bite.

Any word on what may occupy the retail spots on the Pine St. side of the building? I just can't believe that they've been sitting there for lease for so long without a bite. I know it's not a high foot-traffic area, but still...

Archived