The Avenue

monsoon

That is great news. I could see us going to a Thai restaurant every once in a while. Thanks for sharing.

I still don't follow the need for a convenience store a block away from the grocery store, but it is significantly better than an empty retail spot, and will be useful for the residents.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The retail spot on the corner will be an upscale Thai restaurant with a full-service bar called Basil (they also have a location in Charleston). Sounds like great news to me; there is not a Thai restaurant uptown currently. Anyone been to the Basil in Charleston?

I hope it's similar to the one in Gateway (Goat Wagon) as I'm a big fan. Teeter is actually two blocks away. Being able to just run down stairs will be great and I'll likely shop there several times per week. They will sell a bus load of beer, wine, cigarettes, chips (snacks), detergent, papertowels, etc. People from the IJL(201 N Tryon) and Hearst tower will likely use it too during the day.

I think many easily forget that Harris Teeter took a risk to come uptown, and they are relying on growth to stay profitable. I'm sure you all are saying you'll run to the convenience store for somethings and to the Teeter for other things, but it would seem that having the Harris Teeter so close is a major benefit and value to Avenue and many other residences uptown. I lived uptown before Harris Teeter, and it was very frustrating to need to drive to Dilworth or Plaza Midwood for a full grocer, and have only the convenience stores. I do think it is perfectly fine if another little convenience store opens, but I hope people aren't already in the mode of quasi-boycotting the grocery chain, because it would be a major setback to uptown if it failed.

Does Goat Wagon bring a criminal element? I have heard of it being robbed a number of times, and I know that other convenience stores uptown like South Street Seafood Market in First Ward , the Circle K and Fourth Wark Market in Fourth Ward use cigarette and alcohol sales as much of their business, which often brings in people who really shouldn't be spending their money on smoking or drinking.

Again, I'm sure it will be perfectly fine in general, but I'm not sure how a standard convenience store business is more desireable than the full grocery store 1-2 blocks away (1 block between the two buildings, 2 blocks to walk to the entrance).

I think many easily forget that Harris Teeter took a risk to come uptown, and they are relying on growth to stay profitable. I'm sure you all are saying you'll run to the convenience store for somethings and to the Teeter for other things, but it would seem that having the Harris Teeter so close is a major benefit and value to Avenue and many other residences uptown. I lived uptown before Harris Teeter, and it was very frustrating to need to drive to Dilworth or Plaza Midwood for a full grocer, and have only the convenience stores. I do think it is perfectly fine if another little convenience store opens, but I hope people aren't already in the mode of quasi-boycotting the grocery chain, because it would be a major setback to uptown if it failed.

Does Goat Wagon bring a criminal element? I have heard of it being robbed a number of times, and I know that other convenience stores uptown like South Street Seafood Market in First Ward , the Circle K and Fourth Wark Market in Fourth Ward use cigarette and alcohol sales as much of their business, which often brings in people who really shouldn't be spending their money on smoking or drinking.

Again, I'm sure it will be perfectly fine in general, but I'm not sure how a standard convenience store business is more desireable than the full grocery store 1-2 blocks away (1 block between the two buildings, 2 blocks to walk to the entrance).

With new residents being added constantly, I think uptown can support all of these grocers, big and small. When I think about larger cities I've visited there are grocers and convenience grocers on every corner it seems.

When I moved from downtown Chicago in 2002, typical grocery stores (i.e. Jewel) were not immediately downtown. It was required to take the subway a few stops to the Lincoln Park neighborhoods to the north or past Grant Park to the south. Only on my return visits in 2003 did I see typical grocery stores being built at the base of massive condo towers in high density areas along the river and lakefront area. I did have a Whole Foods market in my building, but I honestly wouldn't call it a grocery store. :P

It may be some time before a normal sized grocery store will be placed downtown, even with a large population. I was always surpised at the requirement of having to take the subway in downtown Chicago (of all places) in order to fulfill most of my grocery list.

When I moved from downtown Chicago in 2002, typical grocery stores (i.e. Jewel) were not immediately downtown. It was required to take the subway a few stops to the Lincoln Park neighborhoods to the north or past Grant Park to the south. Only on my return visits in 2003 did I see typical grocery stores being built at the base of massive condo towers in high density areas along the river and lakefront area. I did have a Whole Foods market in my building, but I honestly wouldn't call it a grocery store. :P

It may be some time before a normal sized grocery store will be placed downtown, even with a large population. I was always surpised at the requirement of having to take the subway in downtown Chicago (of all places) in order to fulfill most of my grocery list.

I view the Teeter as a full-size grocer. I can't imagine needing much more than what they have. I use Reid's to augment my grocery needs for higher end cheeses, meat cuts, and etc..

Crime. That might be an issue. However, the Goat Wagon, Circle K, and the place in First Ward are also in very close proximity to a seedier area.

• 1 month later...

So after packing, moving, moving again, painting, unpacking, dealing with comp issues, dealing with connection issues, and pulling my hair out, I'm finally back to being able to post pics. I moved into Ave about a month ago, so thought I'd share a couple of my first pics....

4-28-08

A wall of rain moving into 4th Ward.

98057784.jpg

5-18-08

Ave from 4th Ward Park on a cloudy day.

98057820.jpg

So after packing, moving, moving again, painting, unpacking, dealing with comp issues, dealing with connection issues, and pulling my hair out, I'm finally back to being able to post pics. I moved into Ave about a month ago, so thought I'd share a couple of my first pics....

4-28-08

A wall of rain moving into 4th Ward.

98057784.jpg

• 2 months later...

I was told by someone I work with who lives at the Avenue that a notice was sent around the building that a glass object or perhaps bottle was thrown from the Avenue two weeks ago shattering onto the street below, cutting an innocent bystander fairly badly. The building is in the process of "investigating" the incident.

I know the last thing you people want on here is another curmudgeony lecture, but honestly, if this is true, this despicable behavior has got to stop. Perhaps someone else who lives there has heard more about this situation.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived